What Do You Put in Your Egg Whites?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tried a bunch of stuff, in various combinations--feta cheese, mushrooms, onions, salsa, broccoli, etc. I couldn't find bacon salt at any stores near me.

I settled on this combination as my most common combination:
    3 egg whites
    1 egg with yolk (I capitulated, kind of)
    2 Tbsp. salsa
    1/2 ounce shredded cheddar cheese

That's 181 calories. Throw in a 6 oz. glass of orange juice and it's a 264 calorie breakfast that keeps me full until lunch time.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks. They taste really good in them and seem to compliment it well. :wink:
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and turkey sausage
    Cottage cheese and bacon

I like to use garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, basil, and oregano also :)
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Mustard and Catsup (Ketchup)!
  • ppotoch
    ppotoch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't even stand the taste of egg yolks anymore. Blech. I add all the veggies I can find. A little feta and spinach is amazing.
  • Jayne2629
    Options
    Spray a small pan with cooking spray, and then throw in some spinach and kale to let it wilt. Meanwhile, whisk together egg whites, 1 tbsp of skim milk and some vegetabls seasoning. When the spinach is fully wilted pour the egg white over top until it browns on the underside. Flip, let it brown again on the other side.
    Voila, open faced omelet :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    yolks

^^^ this

egg yolks contain the "good" type of cholesterol and there's no need to avoid them unless you have a medical issue. They're a great source of fat soluble vitamins.

If you're trying to cram in a lot of protein for very few calories (it happens occasionally when you do IIFYM lol) then any omelet recipe is good, just leave out the yolks or make it with just one yolk. But IMO this is the only situation where I'd do this, because the yolk is extremely nutritious, and really 75 cals for one egg, it's not a high calorie food given how much protein, vitamins etc you get for those 75 cals.
    In mainstream jargon, yes they help HDL and improve LDL subfractions, but dietary cholesterol is just plain old cholesterol......there is no bad or good.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    How about i dont eat the yolk... and here is why.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1007617-first-time-under-200-pounds-in-at-least-2-years

20130706_065847_zps14b49f06.jpg
    right click on pic to view pic fully

i rather get my cholesterol from other sources instead of filling my whole DAYS worth in one yolk.

Fair enough, I cannot say I have noticed the same however, have been eating three per day for many years.
    The egg yolk generally raises HDL, with yours being low. and lower VLDL both are less atherogenic. I eat all the cholesterol and my HDL at last check was 105 and my LDL was 83. And up here in Canada we don't restrict dietary cholesterol, weird but true, as do many other Countries.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    +1 whole egg
    + fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
    + diced sweet onion
    + chopped fresh spinach
    + diced red pepper
    + a little garlic herb boursin

Yum.

I am intrigued by the idea of a sweet omelette with cinnamon and berries someone posted earlier. Similar to the protein pancakes you sometimes see with bananas. Sounds delicious!