*real beef?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you eat some beef curtains I think that's a negative calorie treat.

I am just dead. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Calorie free shots to everyone for each time someone says beef in this thread.

Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef *stumbles around* Beef Beef Beef Beef *passes out*
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I wasn't going to say anything to your initial post because it's cool if you wanna think that about cow manure (which is bs, pardon the pun, if you've ever been to a dairy/anywhere they raise beef cows) but...... that is your source???? Really?

These pseudoscience scare sites and articles always leave me laughing and curious as to who actually reads them and follows their advice.

But then, I need look no further than the MFP forums . . .
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I wasn't going to say anything to your initial post because it's cool if you wanna think that about cow manure (which is bs, pardon the pun, if you've ever been to a dairy/anywhere they raise beef cows) but...... that is your source???? Really?

if you want to be technical.... cattle manure is a combination of cow sh** and bull sh** and if you live in the UK and buy it from Tescos, there's probably quite a lot of horse sh** in there too :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Weird, cuz what I get from the farm is the same that goes to the market.

ALL of the meat in the market comes from this farm? ALL of it? Seriously? That is one big *kitten* farm.

You're doing a lot of assuming.

Does it, no, but you're assuming that market beef is all hopped up, when really...it's not.

A lot of it is. You seem to be assuming that all market beef is the same. It's not.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    We raise our own beef..along with lamb.

Our beef from our steers is "all natural"..we dont feed medicated feeds, use growth hormones or give medications when they arent needed...They eat grass (and hay during the winter) along with grains.

I have noticed a difference in TASTE from our steers to the supermarket beef..Our steers arent super lean..they have a fair amoung of marbling..but that is fine by me..the marbling keeps the meat moist. Our most recent steer, named T-Bone, is still in the freezer..well parts of him..:)..he did make great T-bones..and ribeyes and roasts.

Now, there are different TYPES of beef..as in breeds and ways of raising them, that result in "leaner" meat. the longhorn for example is VERY VERY lean..and straight grassfed or organicly raised beef is usually quite lean.

Lean is OK..but I need a PINCH of marbling in my beef..again, for the moisture content. its very easy to overcook lean beef into a tire...hence why I do grain our steers abit towards the end of their time here..
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    We raise our own beef..along with lamb.

Our beef from our steers is "all natural"..we dont feed medicated feeds, use growth hormones or give medications when they arent needed...They eat grass (and hay during the winter) along with grains.

I have noticed a difference in TASTE from our steers to the supermarket beef..Our steers arent super lean..they have a fair amoung of marbling..but that is fine by me..the marbling keeps the meat moist. Our most recent steer, named T-Bone, is still in the freezer..well parts of him..:)..he did make great T-bones..and ribeyes and roasts.

Now, there are different TYPES of beef..as in breeds and ways of raising them, that result in "leaner" meat. the longhorn for example is VERY VERY lean..and straight grassfed or organicly raised beef is usually quite lean.

Lean is OK..but I need a PINCH of marbling in my beef..again, for the moisture content. its very easy to overcook lean beef into a tire...hence why I do grain our steers abit towards the end of their time here..

Well this works for all cuts, but especially improves leaner cuts: cook your beef at 140F.

No, that's not a mistake. Although its possible your oven wont go that low, in which case just use the lowest setting it's got. You can sear the outside with high heat, but cooking the whole thing at higher temps pushes moisture out and deactivates enzymes that tenderize the meat.

This takes all day, but you don't need to keep an eye on it so you can go about your day.
  • jeremyjirwin
    Options
    Meat at your butcher is just the same as meat at your grocer. The butcher will get you fresher cuts, and a wider variety of cuts, but... the cows that your butcher carves up are no different than the cows that are carved up for the grocery store.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I live in NZ, the beef that I get at the butcher is exactly the same as the beef that gets served at mcdonalds. Probably from the same cow even.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

if you want to be technical.... cattle manure is a combination of cow sh** and bull sh** and if you live in the UK and buy it from Tescos, there's probably quite a lot of horse sh** in there too :drinker:

QFT
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

These pseudoscience scare sites and articles always leave me laughing and curious as to who actually reads them and follows their advice.

But then, I need look no further than the MFP forums . . .

it honestly blows my mind. but then again, it's on the internet, it must be true!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I live in NZ, the beef that I get at the butcher is exactly the same as the beef that gets served at mcdonalds. Probably from the same cow even.

LOL!

OK, that aside,

It depends on what the cow was fed, whether it was grass all its life, or finished on grain which knocks off a year on the growth cycle sending a cow to slaughter faster due to a diet of corn, soy and grain. If your friend has a small ranch sending only a few dozen head to slaughter a year, they're likely grass fed; therefore, leaner and slightly lower in calories. It won't be much, and for most people, it's not worth the cost. I thought the flavor was much better, though. If you can get it from a friend, do it. Maybe MFP has a generic grass fed option.