French children don't snack

Options

Replies

• Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    My kids' dentist, and the American Dental Association in general, recommends no snacking. This is due to extending the amount of direct contact the teeth have with foods and drinks. They've backed off on this somewhat, with an "if you must, choose wisely" approach. But this concept isn't foreign to America.

ETA a link or two:
    http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceAndResearch/pdfs/patient_13.pdf

http://www.ada.org/sections/professionalResources/pdfs/ADA_PatientSmart_Sipping_Snacking.pdf

I wonder how the French view diabetics or other populations which may require less food more times per day. I also wonder whether people eat more at the assigned times than they would if they knew they had free access to food at any time of day.

Thanks for the information. Lots to consider.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Germany too and my experience very much reflects yours.

I still go back regularly as my parents still live there and I always notice that people are generally slimmer and fitter than in the UK. You see far more people cycling to shops, walking, hiking.

Regarding the cycling: it is god awful in this country! there is no funding, no awareness, it's very dangerous (I live in a 110k city and have seen regular cycle accidents in large roundabouts) and absolutely off-putting.

And I also noticed that sports seem to be more difficult to pursue here. At university, it costs up to a 100£ to play football for a year (including the insurance cover, charges for using equipment, match fees, coach salary). Women's football is lagging a good decade behind. Our local uni team has to drive up for 4 hours to meet another team.

Don't get me wrong- I love it here, but I do wonder whether the lack of options regarding fitness and sport is related to UK's higher obesity rates. The EU-US differences very much suggest so.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    THE CAKE ISLE! I live in the UK for 4 years now and I still haven't tried even 20% of the assortment.

AN ENTIRE CAKE ISLAND?! Please give me the coordinates.

:wink: :laugh: just kidding, just kidding.

56.5800° N, 78.7800° W

check it! :bigsmile:
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't grow up snacking at all as a kid. I don't even think we had snack type foods in the house. (1980's southeastern US). If we were thirsty, it was milk or water. There were no sodas in the house. That being said, I do have a piece of fruit in the afternoons now to hold me over until dinner. We eat dinner, as a family, at 5:30 and then the kitchen is closed.

I see a lot of parents in my area using food to pacify their kids. Kid having a tantrum? Hand them a baggie of teddy grahams, cheerios and such. That, in my opinion, is the real problem. I know the parents are overwhelmed and need a break (no judgment here), but food being used to comfort moods sets the kid up for problems later in life. Again, just my opinion.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for French children.

I snacked the entire time growing up. I remember a time in my teens when I drank a gallon of whole milk a day. I became overweight during a brief period in my 30s. The only things that I changed after that are how much I eat and how much I move.

The relentless comparison of national habits and diets is getting to the point of absurdity. We already know what causes obesity. We already know what a healthy diet looks like. There are many roads to Rome. Pick one.

QFT
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Giving up snacks is one of the key points
    in the weight loss advice I give. But I had no idea that eating
    snacks is a cultural thing, and that in some cultures -- at least
    in France -- snacking is very minimal. Does anyone here know
    of other cultures in which snacking is not customary?

I am not positive, but I believe this also holds true for some other european mediterenean countries like spain and italy. Also, I believe some asian countries, like japan. Please jump in though to verify or correct me though.

Japanese children snack all the time. Conbinis are on every corner, sometimes 2 on a corner. Conbinis are convenience stores full of snacks. There's also vending machines about every 100 feet or so. The Meiji candy company is one of the biggest in the world. They also have some of the most unique flavors of doritos and potato chips you could imagine. Half of the grocery stores are snack aisles. The problem is not snacking. Americans and Canadians are fatter than the French, who are in turn are far fatter than the Japanese. The problem is overconsumption, not timing of consumption or what is consumed.

^This. I've seen many Japanese adults and children snacking a lot more than I've seen most Americans growing up. As Ginger said, it's about overconsumption of food (snacks and meals)...not timing or what is consumed.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjieigSbzT1rdt4sno1_500.gif

An awesome day usually includes 2nd bkfst! :drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Whatever, France. Hey, didn't France ban ketchup in the schools?
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nothing like generalisations........

Lol. Yup, you brits never generalize when it comes to those frenchies. :wink:

And of course, that wasn't a generalisation! :wink: But I get where you were going with that. And entirely agree with your original post. I've lived in France, and stay with French friends on occasion. The way of eating is ingrained. And anyone who 'feels sorry' for the French not snacking doesn't need to. They have a very healthy attitude to food. They partake in 'proper' meals (IMHO), which include everything in moderation, and generally in the right proportions. A visit to a patisserie is regarded as a treat- that is to say, it's not something eaten on the go, or in the car- they sit down and enjoy it as an occasion- the same way they do do a tea or coffee. Food is something they take very seriously (along with a lot of things, and there's my little generalisation about the French! :wink: ). We can learn a lot from their culture, as we can from many cultures.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My kids are grazers, constantly wanting to snack. I limit their snacking only because it's not good for their teeth. But they still end up eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Both are slim, each near the very low end of the BMI chart. I don't think snacking need be a shameful thing like suggested in that article. All depends what is being fed to them.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    French food is SO good, so fresh - the coffee, the bread, the cheese, the soups. Perhaps quality not quanity helps quieten the appetite?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

And of course, that wasn't a generalisation! :wink: But I get where you were going with that. And entirely agree with your original post. I've lived in France, and stay with French friends on occasion. The way of eating is ingrained. And anyone who 'feels sorry' for the French not snacking doesn't need to. They have a very healthy attitude to food. They partake in 'proper' meals (IMHO), which include everything in moderation, and generally in the right proportions. A visit to a patisserie is regarded as a treat- that is to say, it's not something eaten on the go, or in the car- they sit down and enjoy it as an occasion- the same way they do do a tea or coffee. Food is something they take very seriously (along with a lot of things, and there's my little generalisation about the French! :wink: ). We can learn a lot from their culture, as we can from many cultures.

Generalize away. :happy:

As far as the patisserie and the healthy attitude....you mean they eat sweets other than on their cheat day?! Gasps. :wink:
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Very interesting. Giving up snacks is one of the key points
    in the weight loss advice I give. But I had no idea that eating
    snacks is a cultural thing, and that in some cultures -- at least
    in France -- snacking is very minimal. Does anyone here know
    of other cultures in which snacking is not customary?

I am not positive, but I believe this also holds true for some other european mediterenean countries like spain and italy. Also, I believe some asian countries, like japan. Please jump in though to verify or correct me though.

Japanese children snack all the time. Conbinis are on every corner, sometimes 2 on a corner. Conbinis are convenience stores full of snacks. There's also vending machines about every 100 feet or so. The Meiji candy company is one of the biggest in the world. They also have some of the most unique flavors of doritos and potato chips you could imagine. Half of the grocery stores are snack aisles. The problem is not snacking. Americans and Canadians are fatter than the French, who are in turn are far fatter than the Japanese. The problem is overconsumption, not timing of consumption or what is consumed.

^This. I've seen many Japanese adults and children snacking a lot more than I've seen most Americans growing up. As Ginger said, it's about overconsumption of food (snacks and meals)...not timing or what is consumed.

While I don't disagree with you, isn't this potentially simplistic. IF (and I believe they do) studies show that consumption of snacks does not alter the amount of calories consumed at meal times for the majority of northern americans, then aren't we really potentially talking about the same thing.

Of course, I've known some teeny tiny women who graze constantly, but never (not even during meals) eat a lot at one time. But I guess that goes back to what works for the individual and the whole 'different roads to rome' comment.

Of course, I see no harm in discussing the topic and the whole 'alternate routes' as options to each of us.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm from Wales, UK (one of the fattest countries for kids, apparently! yay!) and I didn't really snack as a child. My sister did, though, and we both still ended up overweight. Ironically I ended up more overweight, but she ended up with a very unhealthy sweet tooth.

I'm not from a rural place, though, and walking through town every single shop has some form of snack you can nibble at. All shops are now geared towards selling snack-foods (or foods that have enough calories for a meal, but don't fill you up like one) and alcohol/energy drinks, it seems.
    I think when these shops are hard to come by (have you ever been to Paris? there's a patisserie on every street, it seems) kids are less likely to snack on big processed "junk food" and more likely to be sat down to eat meals at tables.
  • steffij100
    Options

As far as the patisserie and the healthy attitude....you mean they eat sweets other than on their cheat day?! Gasps. :wink:

Sadly, most of them don't need cheat days! (sigh). I think if I lived there now, every day would be a cheat day! :wink:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for French children.

I snacked the entire time growing up. I remember a time in my teens when I drank a gallon of whole milk a day. I became overweight during a brief period in my 30s. The only things that I changed after that are how much I eat and how much I move.

The relentless comparison of national habits and diets is getting to the point of absurdity. We already know what causes obesity. We already know what a healthy diet looks like. There are many roads to Rome. Pick one.

QFT^^

Also QFT ^^

Here is what I took away from this thread "dang, Beaches are smart."
  • anniecrisis
    Options
    I can't understand why habitual snackers would feel sorry for those whose cultures don't include snacking - they're used to their way of doing things, it's normal for them.

I also grew up, in the UK, in the 1970s and 80s, of mixed German/English parentage, and we also didn't have snacks, at least not til we were teenagers and in such a mega-growth-spurt that we needed extra calories just after school. Stomach sizes adjust, and above all, you don't develop a habit of eating all day long, and feeling that this is necessary. Guess what - it's not!

We had a good breakfast of cereal and toast, lunch usually sandwich-based, the post-school intake often of something like cheese on toast, and our supper was really the biggest meal of the day, something hot, plenty of veg, some meat or fish, and pasta, rice or potato. We also didn't have puddings much - and I don't make them except for special occasions either: again, not being used to them, I don't find them necessary or miss them. In fact, when I started calorie counting, I began to resent them, realising just how much of a day's "allowance" they'd swallow up - I'd far rather have a bigger volume of veg than a small amount of something cloyingly sweet. Since my son developed type I diabetes eight years ago, the whole family has also found that it's adjusted to a less sweet tooth, as I stopped buying the really sweet things so much - far from being a treat, they're now sickly to us. I just wish the food manufacturers would stop stuffing so many artificial sweeteners to such extreme amounts into so many foods - it is perpetuating the sweet tooth of the general population, and making it more extreme. Which in turn leads to more problems for people trying to control their weight :cry:
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Sadly, most of them don't need cheat days! (sigh). I think if I lived there now, every day would be a cheat day! :wink:

Nah, you'd be fine cause you'd walk it off. But never in gym shoes, and never with a sweat. Afterall, the french don't exercise either. He he, I'm having fun with the generalizations now. :happy:
  • steffij100
    Options

Nah, you'd be fine cause you'd walk it off. But never in gym shoes, and never with a sweat. Afterall, the french don't exercise either. He he, I'm having fun with the generalizations now. :happy:

Oh honey- they exercise in a different way! :wink: :wink: :laugh: (and that's not a generalisation, it's true!!)