"Don't lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    i think they are jealous of you,, some people want u to lose weight even if u are skinny to look ugly and unhealthy,, and some people even if u are fat or overweight and want u to gain weight,, to look ugly and unhealthy,,

just listen to the right and positive people and ask some advice to the professional nurse,doctor,personal instructor or nutritionist.

hope this helps,,

and also they hate u because of that lol
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I am at the top of my healthy weight range and have never heard this comment.

Not everyone is jealous that is not the answer to all of life's problems. I think they are just used to seeing you at a certain weight and now it is just a change. They don't know the number on your scale they are just going by what they see with your clothes on. To them you look fine and don't need to lose more. To you with your shirt off staring in the mirror you can lose another 10 lbs.
  • FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've heard this and its close relative "Wow, you dropped a ton!" I've never fluctuated more than 20 pounds at a time, so I don't consider that a "ton". Makes me wonder if I really looked huge before and never realized it.

Exactly. I think that's what makes it awkward. I'm like, was I really that big before?
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time now too ...but I know they're only trying to be complimentary....so I just let it go.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    while I never heard those exact type of words from my mother, when I was going thru old clothes left at my parnets house when I returned from deployment and had moved into my own home some years ago, she did make the comment to me of "maybe you should throw/give away all your bigger clothes, you may need them again". Way to go with the "support" mom.
  • Galloping4God
    Galloping4God Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "You're losing weight too fast" (one pound a week average)
    "You've lost too much weight" (at 32 lbs overweight and 30% bodyfat)
    "You look gaunt" (see above)
    "PLEASE stop losing weight!" (at 25 lbs overweight and 28% bodyfat)
    "You're eating too much meat" (Building muscle mass requires it)
    "Protein powder is dangerous" (see the contradiction?)

I nod and tell my wife "Okay" and keep doing what I'm doing, because I've done the research and my blood work tells a different story than her "momscience."

Yes!!! I have friends who tell me almost the same thing. Thank you, but it's working for me and I've researched it for myself. Stop telling me how to lose/gain... whatever. Deal with your body and let me deal with mine, thank you.
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of like another poster said it is perspectives. People have seen you when you are overweight for a long time and if you drop a fair amount you do look different. They aren't used to seeing the you their used to! At least they care enough to notice! I think people are being a bit too sensitive, people say things, and they always don't mean the worst. My Mom thought I was starving myself too. I think that is a Mom just being a Mom :smile: Much better then telling you " Son you are getting too fat, you need to do something"
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. It started 20 lbs. ago. I just tell them I have a weight in mind and I'm not stopping until I reach it. Some of them even call me skinny. What do you think. I'm 5'1 130 lbs. My measurements are 36-31-36.
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I hear this alllllll the time
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I started on here in March at 114lbs (I'm just shy of 5'1"). My goal was 102/103, but I am down to 98. Very few people have noticed or said anything. On Thursday, someone at work asked me a question (in the stairwell) and at the end, said..."You really look great". That was it...then, the next day, I met with her one on one (I work in HR and she had a question about her benefits). Again, she said, "You really look great. What have you been doing?" I said "I started making time to work out again." She's tall and trim and works out regularly. I just took it as a compliment.

The only person who has told me not to lose anymore weight is my boyfriend....who told me that I had started to look gaunt. I eat...I'm just trying to find that sweet spot for maintenance as I also add a more varied work out schedule.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    People say this to me all the time and I can honestly say it has never been out of concern. I've decided on a few reasons why....

1. This is their way of complementing you. They are actually really impressed with your weight loss and want you to know that you look fantastic just the way you are.

2. You're a lot smaller/skinner than you think. At 5'7 and 155 pounds, I still could lose a few pounds. However, when I looked at a photo of myself the other day I was so tall and skinny, it startled me. So I could understand why telling someone I want to lose an additional 10 pounds would be like..."whyyyyy?"

3. It's their way of acknowledging your weight loss. Believe it or not, talking about weight is very awkward for people. They want to give you praise for it, but sometimes just don't know how.

4. I usually get this compliment when I tell people how much I lost. Which makes me believe they don't understand how much 1 pound of fat looks like. When I say 101 pounds, some people could imagine a 101 pound child. That's a lot of weight and I understand when people say "you don't need to lose anymore." It's hard to comprehend. lol

I think you're reading too much into it. I usually smile and appreciate the fact that someone notices my hard work.

You said what I thought, only probably better than I would have done.

I actaully like hearing that people think I'm slim. It makes me feel better and helps keep me motivated to stay that way!
  • redhearted
    Options
    I fear you all won't want me jumping into this thread, but my first thought when I saw the thread was...wow, what would that be like for someone to say that to me? Of course, I have 44 lbs to go before I am at my goal, so I am having a hard time believing that I would ever hear that.

Personally, I have never said that to anyone, as I would never say the reverse to anyone; however, I am very aware that I "think" some people who have lost quite a bit of weight don't realize that they "looked" better, healthier, when their faces had a little more weight on them. Some people look very gaunt and even kind of unwell when their faces change so drastically. There have been a couple of celebs who lost big amounts of weight over hiatus and when they came back I thought they had suffered an illness--Al Roeker (sp?) and Alton Brown on the Food Network to name two I remember having that thought about.

I don't know what motivates people to say things that are truly none of their business. I guess I also have some thought that we weight losing people have a hard time knowing what we really look like. When we are close to our goals and people have an opinion, maybe we are a little bit defensive given our own struggle with weight.

Compassion for them and for ourselves seems like a good answer.
  • flgatesdeb
    Options
    Ditto!!! Well said.:smile:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The latest one is two people at work confirming that I have lost weight, and that it's deliberate and not because of illness. :grumble:

Even presuming it's because of illness, if I haven't told you, there's a reason! :huh:
  • AgnesXNitt
    Options
    Oh thank goodness it's not just me that gets told this!
    I think, in my case, its because I have been overweight since I was 10 years old, and have always been 'the fat girl'. I am now realising that being the fat girl actually defined my place in several friendships (of various descriptions) since then.
    One girl I have known since I was a teenager, shes about 4 years younger than me, now refuses to hug me, and when her husband (who I have no intention of stealing!!) complimented me on my weight loss, well, if looks could kill! She has avoided me since this, and acts like I have lost my weight to hack her off personally.
    Marvellous.
    My Mum is keeping what she refers to as a 'weather eye' on me, and I am trying to sit at 12st. I put two pounds on on holiday - and it was an active working holiday so I blame the puddings! - and have worked hard to lose those two pounds though it took 3 weeks. I know me, and ignoring two pounds here and a pound there is going to see me heading back to the 16 stone I was this time last year if I don't watch myself.
    Anyway, most people are kind and say encouraging things, especially if they haven't seen me for a while - though I am scaring the heck out of others who don't recognise me!
    I do get asked what plan I followed, and when I say I have done it myself, some tell me I couldn't possibly, it must be with Weight Watchers or Slimming World or Lighter Life, none of which were options for me as a weekly public weigh in would put me off completely and I can't afford the latter.
    For the record, I would like to lose another 7lbs, to get me to 11.7st, and at 5' 11" I think that would look okay, but its tummy fat I need to shift and thats a buggar! Any tips?!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My mum lost a lot of weight, years ago, she actually did go too far. I didnt see her for a few weeks and i was shocked, i told her to stop. Eventually enough people said it, and she listened. As long as you all know what your safe numbers are, all good. Im a few pounds to go, hopefully I will know when to stop, but I do see some very slim looking people on here, who are saying they have a several pounds still go. I watched a friends sister go from chubby to anorexic in under 3 months, its not pretty, she is my anti-role model!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I solved this problem by primarily hanging out with people who are skinnier than I am. They never say "don't lose weight" to me.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    People have always thought me skinny, even when I wasn't. The benefit of having a small waist in proportion to ample hips, I guess.

Unless someone's complimenting me, I ignore them :tongue:
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, definitely got that comment in the past. My best friend said it numerous times during my weight loss even before I was at my goal. I started in the low 180s and my goal initially was 140. When I was at 155 or so she said I should stop. Thing is, someone I've known for 11+ years and they've only seen me overweight would say something like that. I can totally relate to her and other peoples' opinion if they've known a person for many years being heavy and suddenly they're losing and they look quite different. I got down to 125 at my lowest but I think it was due to eating very little and not really having the muscle bulk I needed. I'm now sitting at 135-ish, wanting to go back to 130 if possible but no biggie if I can't--I earned this and feel great and am looking to maintain it.

In the end just do what's right and healthy for you and don't let others influence you. I can say, I would have been unhappy had I listened to my friend and stayed in the 150s. I knew I would have done a "half *kitten*" job had I stopped there. If it's close friends and family saying "you're too skinny" chances are it's mostly because they aren't used to seeing you smaller than you were originally.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm actually 5'4" and 160 lbs and have gotten that comment. weird