5 cups diced peeled potatoes
    2 -14.5 oz. cans chicken 98% fat free broth
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 cup flour
    2.5 cups 2% milk
    8 oz. 2% milk cheddar cheese
    green onion tops

Directions
    in large pot cook bacon until crisp. transfer to paper towel and set aside. Discard all but 1 Tblsp. of fat. Add carrots, chilis, onion, garlic and cumin, saute until golden brown. Add potatoes, chichen broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, coverl pot and cook for 25 minutes or until tender. IN bowl, gradually whisk milk into flour mixture is smooth. slowly whisk milk mixture into soup. Cook over med heat, stirring occasionally, until soup thickens, about 12 minutes. Crumble reserved bacon and chopped green onions

Number of Servings: 10
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I make a very spicy Korean stew with kimchi (I use homemade but you can use store bought), tofu, vegetables and sometimes pork. It's super easy to make, really delicious, and quite healthy! Can be high in sodium depending on the kimchi you use. Here's the recipe. Makes a huuuge pot, around 10-12 servings.

1lb pork shoulder, thinly sliced
    1 pkg extra firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
    5 cups kimchi, with liquid
    1 large onion, roughly chopped
    2 medium zucchini, julienned
    1 pkg enoki mushrooms

Layer this in a heavy-bottomed pot (in this order) and cover with tap water.

In a separate dish, mix together:
    2 Tbsp gochujang (hot pepper paste)
    2 Tbsp soy sauce (less sodium)
    1 Tbsp gochugaru (Korean hot pepper powder)
    3 cloves garlic, minced

Add this mixture to your soup. Bring to a boil and let simmer on medium heat for 20 mins. In the last few mins, add in 2 green onions slices and 2 green chili peppers. And voila!

This recipe is QUITE spicy - not for the faint of heart. It's great for your sinuses though :) If you want to make it less spicy, omit the green chilis, and cut the seasoning mixture in half. Also, you can usually purchase hot or mild kimchi, so make sure you buy "mild" when first testing this out!

For 1/10 of the recipe:
    cal 193
    carb 13
    fat 8
    protein 17
    fibre 1 (this should be higher I think, due to the cabbage, but not according to MFP)
    sodium 941

Cheers!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    Here's a tip to make ALL soups taste better: use homemade stock.

Now let me just say I'm no Martha Stewart and I tend to be lazy but once I realized how incredibly easy it is to have stock on hand whenever I make soup I do it. Next time you make a whole turkey or chicken just plop the carcass into a big pot, cover it with water, bring to a boil and then simmer - the longer you cook it the better. You can add in onion, carrotts etc. if you want but the plain old bones are enough. I've even done this with store bought roasted chicken. then strain out the bits, cool and put into containers in the freezer - I portion mine out into food saver bags, let it freeze and then seal them. It's super easy and it really adds a level of flavor to everything.

and here's another hint: if you make beef stew or pot roast in the slow cooker use the chicken or turkey stock...it makes it richer tasting than beef broth!
  • Texemgirl
    Options
    One of the greatest flavor combos for cauliflower is truffle. If you add just a couple drops of truffle oil to your bowl of cauliflower soup as a garnish, you'll add very few calories and an incredible burst of flavor. Truffle is also amazing with potato as well. Don't use it to cook with as the flavor will cook out with the heat, just add a couple drops right before you dig in to add flavor. Enjoy!

Thank you for the tip. I didn't know that, and I make cauliflower soup a couple times a month. Can't wait to try it!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I just learned this one: (from a lovely friend, who couldn't believe everybody didn't know how to make it)

Velvet Corn Egg Drop Soup

one can creamed corn
    one cup chicken broth
    1 tsp soy sauce (can use less or not use any if you're watching your sodium)
    1 egg, lightly beaten.

Heat corn and chicken broth, when boiling, add egg and stir vigorously.

Tah-dah! Velvet Corn soup...exactly like at the Chinese Restaurant. (well, without the extra sodium and MSG)

You can garnish with thinly sliced scallions and mushrooms if you're extra fancy. Or add leftover chicken or a can of rinsed tuna for extra protein.

This was my lunch today. It went together in under five minutes, and was surprisingly filling.
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    I love Hot & Sour Soup and got this from A Year of Crockpotting. I sometimes add baby corn or other veggies. Very easy and very yummy.

Crockpot Hot and Sour Soup

--1 cup cubed firm tofu
    --2 cups chicken broth
    --2 cups water
    --1 package of sliced mushrooms
    --1 can bamboo shoots
    --1 can sliced water chestnuts
    --2 tablespoon soy sauce
    --1 teaspoon sesame oil
    --2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (and some more later)
    --1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (and some more later)
    --green onion for garnish

The Directions:

Combine everything in your slow cooker. Use a 3 or 4 quart. Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high 4-5.

Taste. If you need more of the sour flavor, add more rice wine vinegar. If you need more of the hot flavor, add more red pepper flakes. . Garnish with sliced green onion.

I am addicted to her website and this soup is a huge hit in my house! It's a great replacement for chinese take-out.
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Last week I had some broccoli and cauliflower that were about to go bad so I threw together this soup. It turned out delicious and made a ton of soup!

2 tbsp butter
    tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    3 stalks of celery diced
    1/2 onion diced
    1 head cauliflower cut into small pieces
    1 bunch (head?) broccoli cut into small pieces
    4 cups unsalted chicken stock
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp (or more or less depending on how spicy you like it) red pepper flakes
    2 tbsp prepared pesto

Melt butter and olive oil in stock pot. Add onions and celery and cook until translucent. Add broccoli, cauliflower, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook for a minute or so. Add stock cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are very tender. Remove from the heat and use and immersion blender, food processor, or regular blender in batches to liquify. Stir in pesto and taste for salt and pepper. Serve with a dallop of sour cream to make it more of a "cream of" soup. It was kind of ugly, but tasted really good. The pesto really took this over the top as it was a little bland before I added it.
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You can have my weather. We are suppose to get snow before next week. YUCK!
  • pressica
    Options
    Mmm...I am happy that people are still posting to this thread. I am so excited to try these out. I will post more soon. If you try any of them, be sure to add your review. :drinker: Thanks everyone!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    This recipe for Curried Red Lentil Soup looks awesome! I'll be trying it later in the week :D

Makes 6 servings

1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 large onion,chopped
    3 cloves garlic,minced
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
    1 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
    8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons mango chutney
    Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt

Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes longer.
    Stir in lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
    Discard bay leaves. Stir in cilantro (or parsley), lemon juice and chutney. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with yogurt.

Per serving: 268 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 16 g fiber; 332 mg sodium; 549 mg potassium.

I would leave out the mango chutney and increase to 2-3 jalapenos for my personal taste. Lots of curry and you've got a delicious, hearty soup :)

Source: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/curried_red_lentil_soup.html
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    It's a really rainy day in Utah today and I thought it would be a perfect time to make some yummy soup. I thought I'd share what I am making tonight.

*Garden Veggie Soup*

1 T olive oil
    2 carrots, diced
    1 leek, white part only, sliced
    2 celery stalks, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 t thyme, fresh
    3 red potatoes, quartered
    1 c baby spinach
    1/4 t salt
    1/4 t black pepper
    1 t red pepper flakes
    9 c water
    2 small zucchini, chopped
    1 c green beans
    1/2 c ditalini pasta (or another small pasta)
    2 plum or Italian tomatoes, deseeded and chopped

Basil topping:
    1 T olive oil
    1 c fresh basil leaves
    3 T parmesan cheese, grated
    1/4 t salt
    1/4 t black pepper

Directions
    Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan or stock pot. Once warm, add carrots, leek, and celery. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and thyme and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes, spinach, salt, and red and black pepper; cook 3 minutes. Add water, zucchini, beans, pasta, and tomatoes to the saucepan; cook an additional 8 minutes. While soup is cooking, place the basil, remaining oil and cheese in a small food processor; blend until smooth. Swirl basil mixture into the soup just until combined and serve.
    Recipe makes eight 2 cup servings.

Number of Servings: 8

Calories: 160.2
    Total Fat: 4.5 g
    Cholesterol: 1.5 mg
    Sodium: 93.0 mg
    Total Carbs: 26.3 g
    Dietary Fiber: 6.4 g
    Protein: 5.4 g
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the soup recipes, I just discovered orzo haven't tried it yet but a friend gave me a recipe for orzo with spinach sounds good bought ingredients this weekend. Will let you know when I try it. I like soup in cold weather but all the store bought soups have so much soduim. Can't wait to try this. Turning colder in Virginia, so it will be a good dish to try for dinner. Have a great day.
  • Hello

I love the sound of your recipe. How many cups per serving?
  • Andreamofme
    Andreamofme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A cup is 8 fluid oz.. also, 16 tablespoons equal a cup.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I found this on Hungry Girl. Sounds yummy and I'm making it for dinner tonight :)

The Whole Enchilada Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
    3 cups fat-free chicken broth
    1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery
    1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onion
    3 cups green enchilada sauce
    One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
    10 oz. cooked boneless skinless lean chicken breast, chopped or shredded
    1 cup frozen white (or yellow) corn
    Optional: dash hot sauce, or more to taste
    Optional toppings: shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, crushed baked tortilla chips

Directions:
    In a large pot, bring broth to a low boil on the stove. Add celery and onion, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly tender.

Stir in enchilada sauce and pumpkin. Once soup returns to a low boil, add chicken and corn, and mix well. Cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes, until soup is heated throughout.

Add a dash or more hot sauce. (Or not. It's your soup.) Serve and, if you like, top with shredded cheese and/or crushed chips.

Enjoy!!!

MAKES 9 SERVINGS

PER SERVING (1 cup): 105 calories, 1.75g fat, 641mg sodium, 12.5g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 11g protein -- POINTS® value 2
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am going to make this tonight. sounds yummy
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello my lovelies! I have my latest contribution. I had asparagus soup the other night and wanted to find a low-sodium version to make at home. Here it is.

LOW SODIUM ASPARAGUS SOUP

Ingredients
    45 Asparagus Spears 8-10 in
    2 Cups Carrots (grated)
    2 Cups Broccoli (chopped)
    2 Cloves Garlic
    1/2 cup Onions (minced)
    1 Cup sodium free Chicken Broth ( or 1 packet Herb Ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon)

Directions
    Chop Asparagus and Broccoli ( can use frozen florets). Grate the Carrot and onions. Mince the garlic. Put all in a large pan. Add enough water to just cover the vegetable. Once the water is boiling add a packet of chicken bouillon. If you are using a liquid broth add it before you add the water. Once the soup is boiling turn down the heat and simmer until the soup becomes thick. Makes about 6 cups.

Calories: 72.9
    Total Fat: 0.6 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 37.4 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.9 g
    Protein: 5.7 g

Yummy I want to try this one too
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I found a great soup in one of my fitness magazines that I tried over the weekend and was a total hit:

Butternut Squash Soup:

2 Cups chopped Onions
    1 Teas Curry Powder
    1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

Put in soup pot and saute the onions for about 3 mins until onions soft

Add:
    6 cups Butternut Squash chopped into pieces (note it took about a 4 LB squash with the skin to get the 6 cups)
    2 Granny Smith apples peeled and cored cut into bite size pieces
    2 15oz cans of white beans rinsed and drained
    4 cups of low sodium fat free vegetable broth
    2 cups water
    1 Teas salt
    1 Teas Thyme

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 min until squash is soft

Using either a blender or food processor, in batches puree until smooth (I used my blender and it was really easy)

Serve...

Changes I plan to make, I am going to add a little more curry powder next time and probably will add some pepper. The soup was very subtle and I like a little bit of kick. Someone else also suggested a little bit of cinnamom so may try that as well on a different time.

This made a good size pot of soup. It served all four of us and I got 3 containers of leftovers for lunches this week.

Soup is about 170 cals for a cup.

Enjoy
    Dawn
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    This is one of my favorite soup recipes!

Italian Sausage Soup

(this recipe is close to the Zuppa Toscana that is served at the Olive Garden, but a healthier version)

*I would try it w/o the italian seasoning 1st before adding it, it isn't called for in the Zuppa Toscana recipe I have and you can use turkey bacon and/or turkey sausage, if you like. Spinach can be substituted for the kale or chard. If you use spinach, stir it in just before serving. The Zuppa Toscana doesn't have beans, but I think it makes it more like a meal.

Ingredients:
    2 slices bacon
    1/2 lb lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
    2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
    1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    4 cups water
    3 1/2 cups Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
    4 cups chopped fresh kale or Swiss chard leaves
    1 can (15 or 19 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
    1 cup fat-free half-and-half or regular half-and-half

Directions:
    1. In 4-quart nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel. Crumble bacon; set aside. Remove and discard drippings from saucepan.

2. In same saucepan, cook sausage over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain well on paper towels; set aside.

3. In same saucepan, mix potatoes, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, water and broth. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Stir in bacon, sausage, kale and beans. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and kale are tender. Stir in half-and-half; cook just until heated

10 servings (1 ¼ c per serving)

Nutrition Information:
    1 Serving: Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 30); Total Fat 3 1/2g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 530mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 3g); Protein 12g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.