WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• NewMeNomi
    Options
    Since I am new to MFP and this message board, I'm just reading through posts trying to get to know you all. I have to say thank you all for being here! It's very supportive and also encouraging to see that I'm not alone in this.
    Today (my 2nd day of tracking) I went over my calorie limit by 400 calories! I am eating way too much sugar too. It's very enlightening to discover how bad and unhealthy I'm really eating! Changes in my diet are definitely in order.
    I did do a 1.97 mile walk this morning, so that felt wonderful to get out and do that. It has been a good couple of months since I've done more that walk my old dog around a couple of blocks. My knee is a bit sore (osteoarthritis) but I'm feeling positive about starting to walk again.
    Sunday evening; another busy, hectic week at work coming up. Have a great week everyone!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nomi, that's one of the good things about being here. The first couple of weeks can really used to get to know yourself. And I mean the 'what I really eat' self. Once you identify what is good and what is bad you can start working on them.

One thing I do to help me through the day to stay within my calories, doesn't always work, is to put all the days meals in when i'm putting in my first meal. Sometimes I know what I am eating for supper and sometimes I don't but by mid afternoon I usually do and I go ahead and put that in. And then I try to click on complete the diary or what ever it says. Like today, I saw that I was at 1360 calories. Even though MFP says I should have more calories, my doctor and dietician say I should keep it in the 1300 - 1400 calorie range. So I knew I was done. I had to stick with what I already have entered. time for me to go get my 8 PM snack!!!

Joyce
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to you all, so nice to be back in the pack.

Nomi – I too was surprised when I started to log, I was almost embarrassed until I realized that it is all a learning experience and if you want to learn, log everything, ask for advice and learn from the mistakes.

Jill – I love sweater weather and autumn colours too (but I am not quite ready to let go of summer yet).

Phoo – whine all you want, we have all been there. For me the trigger is boredom and inactivity, not necessarily a food. We’re here for you and have all been bingers at one time or another, overeaters for sure.

Mefitnesspal – don’t know your name but thank you for posting the poem for Liz. It gave me goosebumps and I teared up. I sincerely hope when my time comes I slip away the same way.

Liz – your message to your sister was very touching. You will have to take Martha’s place watching the grandgirls grow up here on earth. I am sure she will be watching from heaven.

Uck… I have ragweed allergies going on and my eyes and nose are running steadily, even with an antihistamine. I always forget about the late August mess until it magically appears again. I always think I am getting a cold until the penny drops and I figure it out.

My eating during my vacation wasn’t over in calories, but I seem to have slipped back into skipping breakfast. Time to fix that again. You think I would learn by now.

Just heard my baby sister (ha, 3 years younger) is coming up to visit tomorrow (2 hour ferry ride then 8 hour drive). I am so looking forward to some sister time.

Bye for now, supposed to be thunder tonight but sure doesn’t look like it now.

Lila in in the sunny but not too hot Kootenays, BC
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Late Sunday evening greetings

Another busy day - this morning I was at the lawn bowling club as a marker for one game (sort of referee) which lasted 2 hours. When I got home I had a bite of lunch but was so tired went and slept for 45 minutes.

Later DBF and I went to visit his brother who has recently moved in to a retirement residence. Brother is very philosophical that his daughter put him there, so that is now his lot and he has to make the best of it. One of two things missing that I think I'd like - small microwave so that I could do a hot breakfast from time to time. He has a coffee machine and goes down for his lunch and dinner but is finding is hard to get 'in' because others have been there a long time and already have their little groups.

Got some fresh corn on the way home, and DBF made hamburgers on the bbq while I did all the other bits and pieces. Not a very exciting evening, but we watched the second part of a program about Churchill and the first part of 'Silk' on PBS.

So now it is bed time again and another day is over.
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Liz - so sorry to hear about your sister - your words really touched me - such a beautiful tribute.

Had such good intentions about posting yesterday - but felt really ill during my party on Saturday. Everybody enjoyed the food and had a great time. I developed a dreadful headache but managed to hide it until they went home. Yesterday I spent in bed with the most dreadful migraine. I have managed to lose 4 lbs in the process which hopefully will go back on as this takes me too far below my goal.

I was so disappointed not to really enjoy the meal I cooked - as I had worked so hard to make it low cal. For staters I made sticky sesame chicken wings, Thai fish cakes and green curry chicken soup. For main course hoisin chicken, Balanese lamb satay skewers, Thai green vegetable curry, Sri Lankan tamarind and coconut Dahl served with jasmine rice. The puddings were a bit naughty with meringues and syrup pudding but with a healthy choice too of fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Everyone made such an effort and wire fancy dress such fun! Friendship is so important eh - that's why we all post here.

So perhaps a longer post tomorrow.

Until then eat well and drink your water

Jo
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies,

Up very early with indigestion/ulcer-type discomfort again. Had two picnics (great weather for both) over the weekend; probably the cause. DD drove back to college yesterday; made it safely. Bought herself a beautiful little fridge. Got a grand tour of the room thanks to "Facetime" with our iPads. Found out her room-got her a private for senior year-had been painted pepto pink by the last student and not covered up very well!!!

At the folkdance picnic I had this wonderful cold soup.......Hungarian Sour Cherry..........just delicious...went back for seconds..... and (I thought ) a good choice. Well, when I looked it up on Google to find out more about it, it was described on one site as "a dessert pretending to be soup"!!! GRRRRRRR..... Live and learn.

Off to the gym and back to a semi-normal sched.; DH still on vacation this week.
    yanniejannie.........midAtlantic
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Hello all on our bank holiday Monday!

Jo - Wow! What a spread! And what a shame you couldn't enjoy it.:sad: It all sounds completely delicious. Hope your headache goes soon.

Pat - good luck with tracking down and conquering the source of your binge eating! I used to do it a lot in the days of my first marriage when I was depressed. There are some things going on in our lives that we just don't want to acknowledge. I think our bodies are often better than we are at telling us that something is wrong. Well done for reaching out for help:flowerforyou: I have had masses of help, groups and therapy over the years and DH thinks I am quite sane now!:happy: I would not agree!:tongue: I am quite capable of losing the plot when under any stress at all. It's just that, in general, I am happier these days. I always keep my fingers firmly crossed though.:bigsmile:

Today was the first day I got back to my weights. Did a short weight session, but it feels weird as I've been off for a week. Have yet to do the whole thing with press ups and planks, but I'm glad I managed something. Did my gymming, so can EAT today!:drinker: :laugh: Lunch is baked beetroot, mixed grains and feta. Dinner is king prawn stir fry with a small amount of rice. Lots of garlic! In a minute I'm going to make my scones.

Will see if DH is prepared to buy me the Lulemon jacket for my 50 lb present. I told him it was expensive, but didn't say how much. I also liked one of their t shirts in pink, but do think that would be taking the p**s. I do love nice exercise clothes though :love: Once upon a time I would have gone out for a posh meal to celebrate just about anything so this wouldn't be any more expensive and much better for me. Sorry, just thinking aloud. . . . :tongue:

The antibiotics finish today. I have decided to ring the hospital in London where I had all my treatment and ask if I can have a check up. When they discharged me they said I could come back if I had any problems. I will ring the breast care nurse tomorrow. The one I had was amazing. I had a horrible haematoma that did not heal for a year and had to be 'stuffed' three times a week in the beginning. It went on for so long and she was unfailingly patient and friendly. She has left, but I hope her successor is equally exceptional. They really can get things sorted when there is a jam in the system.

Bye for now folks. DH has just brought me a coffee. The only one we have all day. I love it.

Heather in gloriously sunny Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    was up and out to the gym early.. did ok... slept well, and got the DH dinner all set and our lunches set too. going to sweep and wash the floors in a bit, and take a shower and go to work for 10.
    bought quite a bit more puffed cereals,I like that with the unsweetened almond milk, low in calories and good for you..
    im up a couple of oz. this morning, but will take it and keep on truckin:wink:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Hope this gorgeous Monday finds you all happy and healthy!!! I had a wonderful weekend of being with friends and now I need a weekend to recuperate for mysellf:laugh: !

I have decided that I`m spending way too much time on this computer in the mornings, so I`m going to cut some time out, means I may not post everyday, I will try to keep up and read everyday, and of course I`ll be wishing everyone fabulous healthy days! I`m just tired of always rushing to get everything done:frown: .

So...until we meet again ladies:flowerforyou: ...Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny again:bigsmile: NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Heather - big congrats!

Jo - an Asian dinner party -- tell me more. What are you serving? Welcome back!

Liz - I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. You'll always have such wonderful memories of being there for her.

Meg - I look at collage video because they have clips that you can review to see if you're going to like the video. However, I've found that the price on Amazon is usually better.

grandmalle - sounds like you did great at the picnic. They can be so hard to manage, but you did great

DeeDee - your lunch of the mushroom sounds so good (see how far behind I am?). You should have come to the party. I guess there were about 25. We were surprised how many people went into the pool, down the slide even, and in the hottub. Vince said he had the temp up to 97. I made two of the cakes like a pool, and I thought one came out better than the other, but the picture of the good one didn't come out...waaaaaa. Hope you had a great evening with your friends. It was such a lovely evening (so few)

Joyce - hope your furbaby is better.

Jessica called last night. Said she might now be down this weekend because she may have to work. To me, this is getting a bit rediculous. I don't mind watching her cats, but it's been over 2 months now. It seems like every weekend there's some sort of excuse. I suggested to Vince that what we should probably do is just take the cats up there. He was saying to her last night how they're starting to think of me as their "mother" since I feed them, clean the litter box, give Lane his insulin, etc. etc

Welcome everyone new!

genalace - hope you had a great time at the shower

Pat - good for you going to OA. So proud of you

yanniejannie - hope you feel better fast

Skimming the posts. Want to tpost this, but have to go to Food Lion, then the Dollar Store, then the extremepump class.

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Michelle~ sounds like you might have another couple of pets:wink: that happened to a friend of mine, asked to watch her cat for a couple of weeks and it ended up being forever..
    shower done,dogs walked,lunches made,DH dinner made.floors swept and washed,and been to the gym...all since 4:30 am
    im going out on a limb and having a 2nd cup of tea
    the weather here this weekend was spectacular..and was a busy weekend, it will be nice to have a 3 day weekend next weekend.. gonna call my brother and see if the cottage is open next weekend,maybe go up there for a couple of days:happy:
    forgot to tell ya'll that I skyped with the DD and DGD yesterday for a little bit,
    I almost passed out, because my DGD is going to a private faith based christian school they have bible study daily.. Taliah's father who you have heard me speak of, isnt the best person ever but I was pleasantly suprised that he actually went out and bought his daughter a children's bible. to say I am flabergasted is an understatement,but maybe this school and what goes on there will change that little family for the better. it is in the hands of the lord that's for sure...
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I've been gone from this board a few months, although checking in regularly. I've pretty much stopped logging, but ONLY because it's working for me. For some strange reason, I don't feel "obligated" to eat my daily calories + exercise cals if I don't log my food. I mainly eat when I'm hungry or when it's time to eat. Logging is what helped me realize exactly how much I was eating and to recognize my portion sizes were so skewed. I'm still running and training, and at worst, maintaining while losing inches. There's a new residence on my horizon, a new guy who's been around a few months, and a summer's worth of concerts, races, beach visits, and overall fun.

Goals I have failed on? Painting more--I'm painting WAAAAY less but the new home has an art studio. All I need to do is the lighting because the artist took theirs. I've failed on Russian--and will have to resume once my life settles down, if it does. I've failed on organizing my apartment--but I get a fresh start once 9/15/13 rolls around.

I'm not going to be able to catch up on what's happened to everyone here, but I'm going to go over the last few pages, and welcome to all of the new folks--what a wonderfully motivating board.

Oh, I attended a music festival here last weekend and got to meet one of my favorite gal pals from this board and her husband (hi Lucy!) and am looking forward to meeting some of our other area ladies.

Seize the Day
    Jackie-in-Cherry-Hill-outside-of-Philly (for the time being)
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Moday Morning, Ladies!

Thank you for all of the kind messages of support; this is such an awesome group!

Michelle- I left one of my cats with my son when I moved to Az 2 years ago. He asks when I am coming home to get Poopsie,
    and I just smile. I think he just likes tweaking me for it because he has spent more on that cat for toys and 'nip'
    than I ever did! :laugh:

Today the scrapbook store owner, I and another friend are going down to Rio Rico to check out the site of the weekend retreat in Oct. We have heard that it is not being properly cared for, so we need to see if it is still a viable place to have the retreat. If it isn't, the owner of the store will really need to scramble to find a new site in a very, very short time! I really hope this works out!

My first OA meeting will be tomorrow morning at 7:45 A.M! Now, since retiring, I really hate being up and out that early, but, for this, I will be!

Yesterday's food plan worked until suppertime. Then I switched out the planned menu for a plain omelet and 1 piece of toast. Everything stayed in, nothing caused much discomfort, and I ended up with a good count, so it was OK.

For today: breakfast: fruit bowl and bacon (This will be my meal in the hotel restaurant)
    lunch: yogurt and raspberries; 1 slice toast
    supper: pulled pork over mashed potatoes; cooked vegies
    snacks: cheese; watermelon; rice cakes, if necc.

Have a great day, Ladies!

Pat
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. I am only here for a short time; today starts my evening clinicals. I was going to water aerobics this morning but I was waiting for the basement guy to show up so I could talk to him. He was supposed to be here by 7:30 and at 8:10 he called to say he was not coming til this afternoon, so then it was too late to get going. Bleh!

I will have 9 students in the ICU, but a couple will be on “out” experiences so I will end up with only 5-6 after tomorrow. That is a luxury!!! I’m used to 9, but this unit does not ever have more than about 6-7 patients, so no way to accommodate 9 students!

Just a few shout outs…

Joyce glad kitty is better! Hooray for the jeans that fit!

Heather: I am drooling! I hope that mastitis is soon just a memory!

Pat: oh my we are never tired of listening to you or any of the wonderful ladies here! You fell off the wagon that’s all. You are not a loser, you are a winner because you are trying to get on top of this and you are searching for the right answers. That takes courage. Triggers and setbacks abound for all of us. You are loved and cherished here for your wisdom and kindness and your contributions! Stick with us and don’t give up! I do hope your diverticulitis settles down! I was going to recommend OA but I see you have already contacted them! Good for you! They will be immensely helpful!

Newmenomi: good for you to walk so far! Learning how you eat is important because that knowledge is power!

Lila: enjoy visiting with your sister!

Jo your meal sounded delightful. Since you didn’t like it, you can pack up all the leftovers and send them my way!

DeeDee :we shall miss your daily updates especially about bossing the boys around, but come back when you can!

Well I best get going. Today and the rest of the week will be unbearable hot with heat indices in the 106-range. Lots of water for sure! Take care all and I will check in tomorrow morning. Meg
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon .Gonna be hot in the 90`s today.yuk.
    have a good one.
    HUGS
  • moharma
    moharma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, all!

So I didn't get to the gym- or do any formal exercise- this weekend so I will have to amp it up today. I didnt lose anything this week so I'm feeling a little discouraged, Do you think it has anything to do with the fact I went out on Friday and had friends over on Saturday? I don't think my eating was too bad- at least it was better than it has been in the past. Maybe it was the wine with dinner both nights- I do LOVE wine with dinner!

It's beautiful here but find I spend most of my days indoors. HAving just retired, I am trying to clean out my room which has been overrun with "stuff" the last ten years. So I am slowly making it through all the cabinets/drawers/closets. Ive decided that I am going to reward myself with a rumba for this room when I am finished. This room is an office/hobby room so the floor always has threads, pins, pencil shavings,etc. Now maybe I can keep it nice after all this effort.

Jeanne- I had foot surgery and am not yet able to do cardio that is weight bearing so most of the time I am on a bike. But there are several seated videos on the spark site that are pretty good for a change of pace (is it okay to refer to another site ?)

Liz- Loved what you wrote about your sister. You were lucky to have each other

Pat- I went to OA in the past and found it very helpful. I still go to a twelve-step meeting (al-anon) because the people are so full of wisdom. It made me sad to hear that you felt ashamed- this is something that I work hard to get beyond. Giving in to a binge is just that, nothing more. I try to not put a value on that because then I am ,too, ashamed.

Nomi- yes, logging is a WONDERFUL tool. So many surprises

DeeDee- I know what you mean about posting. Everyone on this thread has so much to say, and so much good advice can be gleaned from it that I want to read it all. That takes time! So we'll just see you whe we see you. Sounds like things are going well for you

Have a good day everyone

Nancy in Ohio
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OK guys, I need to unload on you. They scales are slowly creeping up. This morning it was 194. I can almost cry. I'm really sure how this all got that bad. I don't go to the Y anymore. I still try to stick within my 1300 - 1400 calories a;though many says my carb count is at the upper limits/ My sodium is also usually between 1500 and 1750. so that's OK. So what is it? I know my bowels arent normal, I guess I need to start taking Miralax routinely but I just hate adding another medicine to my huge amount I already take. Taking medicine to me means something in me has failed and you know how I feel about that. I dread Wednesday when I take my blood sugar and all my measurements and record everything. I used to look forward to that day, all the victories it showed. But not anymore. I really don't think I am eating anything wrong. I know I'm not drinking the amount of water I need although I say it's 8 glasses a day. many days it isn't close to that.

So that's me today. I didn't sleep well last night and when I got up to got up to the bathroom, I slept soundly and before it know it it was almost 12:30. The docotr knows my day usually starts at 11 AM or so and they have 2 main meals, snacks and a mini meal worked into my daily plan. Well I have to get off here and fix me lunch.

Thanks for being here as always. Joyce
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: This was my first day back in the pool since I injured my shoulder and it was wonderful!!:love: I was only allowed to do water walking and lower extremity exercises but it was great. It was also nice to see some of the ladies from the arthritis class that I teach sometimes when I am at work.

We had our last rehearsal for the Peace choir yesterday. The concert is on September 8. I think German is not my best language for singing. I have trouble with some of those consonants and remembering how to pronounce "ie" and "ei".:grumble:

Pat - please keep posting. We would miss you greatly.

I know what some of you mean about spending too much time on this site. It is easy to do but I do so enjoy reading the posts, they are so encouraging. Well must get my transcription finished. Healing angels to all who need them and congrats to all with successes. Sue in SD
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies – Happy Monday

Well this weekend did not go as planned. We did have our friends over for sushi on Friday and had a great time. They left around 10:00 and I went on up to bed. At about 1:00am the phone rang, it was my hubby calling me from downstairs asking me to please come downstairs. Although this was very strange, I came down right away and was stunned as he was sitting in the kitchen and there was blood everywhere. He had cut his foot pretty badly and had yelled for me (I’m a pretty sound sleeper so didn’t hear anything) until the phone rang. He had knocked over a wine glass and stepped on it. He said he had tried to get it to stop bleeding, but then began to worry as he had lost a lot of blood. I figure he had lost at least a pint.

So I ran back upstairs, threw on some clothes and got him in the car and rushed over to the emergency room. Luckily, the hospital is fairly close and they got him in and x-rayed (wanted to ensure there was no glass still in his foot) pretty quickly. After getting stitches and crutches we got home around 5:00.

By this time, much of the blood had set on the floors and carpets. What a mess to clean up. Ugh. It looked like a crime scene from CSI, I’m just grateful I am not squeamish. After everything was pretty much cleaned up I slept for a couple of hours, went back to finish up cleaning and running out to get hubby’s prescriptions filled. So that really discombobulated the weekend. Hubby is having a hard time realizing how much this impacts his ability to do most everything. He has a follow up appointment today with the podiatrist, but I figure it will be a week or two before he can bear any weight on the foot.

From a food/exercise perspective, totally off program this weekend, but back on track today.

:smile: Liz – so sorry to hear about your sister, by thoughts are with you.
    :smile: DeeDee – hope you were able to enjoy time with your friends on Saturday.
    :smile: Phoo – all you can do is take one day at a time. I think the balance with food is a lifelong challenge.
    :smile: Drvvork – congratulations on the weight loss, great news.

Hope everyone has a great week and can finish out the month on target.
    Be well,
    Suzy
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

:flowerforyou: My deepest condolences, Liz. Losing someone close is very difficult. Wishing you all the best! :flowerforyou:

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing the close-up photos I took yesterday in my garden. The light was perfect, so I'm happy with the results. :bigsmile:

Here's a link to my blog for viewing:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/august-garden-pics-570109

I had a very busy weekend, but it was a good one. Need to watch my foods this week! Scale crept up a little. I'm having a time trying to get these few pounds to budge! :grumble:

Have a great day, back to the kitchen for me then off to teach for the afternoon.

:smile: jb in beautiful, breezy, cooler Portland