Our culture is set up for obesity.

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I agree that our culture is set up for obesity, and its not just the restaurant portions! Like others have said, we are overworked and overscheduled, without enough time to cook or exercise, yet somehow, a cost effective, nutritious alternative to cooking has not evolved. Other than at a salad store (expensive!), I don't know anywhere where you can go and get a plate that is 1/2 healthy veggies, 1/4 starch, and 1/4 lean protein.

I cook for my family 5-6 nights per week, and I plan out balanced dinners. But go to any restaurant and you're getting lots of carbs, almost no veggies, and the meat... sometimes okay, but more often than not has some kind of sauce, or is cooked in a way that introduces a lot of fat.

I find it very frustrating that I have to choose between, say, working out, or eating healthy, because after work, doing homework with the kids and running to a soccer game, I simply do not have the time and energy to both cook and hit the gym. Needless to say, I usually end up cooking and skipping the gym, because who would want to work out with a belly full of pizza!

You will find plenty of people who will tell you that you're doing everything the wrong way, you have bad time management skills or something that will somehow manage to dump the load on your virtue-less head and not on the structure of the world within which you live your life.

And then of course, you will still have to make choices because the darn restaurant is not changing their way of serving foods, so it's on us.
    Saying "no" to some projects at work, if possible... and if that doesn't involve losing the job; or to some children's activities (this is a fertile area for cutting back as most will hardly benefit kids in any significant way over the long term), etc can be a start.

But being aware of the range of choices you can or cannot make is important.

I completely understand what you mean, good luck to you!

Not sure where you go out to eat, but when I go it is 1-1.5 hours of time invested plus travel. This is plenty of time to make a meal.

Seriously! While we aren't far from many resturants, just getting seated can take 20 minutes a lot of the time and then get our food ordered another 15 and then another 20 or so for it get out to us.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The clever marketing strategies that sold the idea that "more is good" and led to the fat epidemic

Here is the history of bigger portion and the profits earned by big food. Great Entertainment.

The Men who Made us Fat Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLNbwNMtXQ0

right..so marketing made people fat, not overeating...got ya...

I understand your mindset, but you might misunderstand and miscalculate the power of marketing. It is no secret that next to R&D, marketing is a corporations largest budget. Think about that. If it didnt work, they wouldn't do it. We're talking billions a year for some companies. It's not because they are stupid, it's because it is effective.

You would think people would realize that if a lot of money is invested in a certain strategy that means it is effective and it works.
    It is so much easier though to blame an individual's "choices", overeating 'cause they want to overeat, time management skills, gluttony, not knowing the RIGHT recipes that cook themselves in 3 minutes flat, the works.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Just so this dosen't get lost in a quote...if this is a cultural issue in the US and Canada explain how it is?????

There are so many cultures in Canada alone which culture do we blame????

The East Indians? the Philipinoes? The Germans? The Irish? The Native americans? The Chinese? Pakistani? Iranian? Egyptian? Cuban? (trust me this is just those that work in the company I do that have immigrated in the last 10 years) Caucasions born here with god knows how many cultures in their blood????

Which culture influence is to blame?

Did this sound like a good argument in your head before you wrote it out?
  • AnnaAnafi
    AnnaAnafi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Though, if you go to nicer restaurants, geared towards the quality of the ingredients, you will frequently find that the portions are more reasonable. Frequently, they offer "small plates" that you can pair with a salad and not even get a full entree. And the nicer quality leads to greater enjoyment of the food and I find myself satisfied having a salad and a "small plate."

America's chain restaurants don't make it easy for anyone to keep pounds off. Unless you ask for a to go box right up front and box up 2/3 of the plate before you even start eating, most of us are bound to eat beyond satiety.

Yes, personal responsibility is important but the insane portions are irresponsible of the restaurants!

In the future, we should develop a machine that attaches to forks and measures the calories you are consuming as they are taken in and announces it, "350 calories consumed...425 calories consumed...510 calories consumed." It surely would make most of us stop sooner. ;)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If I go to a restaurant and pay $20+ for an entree, there had better be plenty of food on that plate. If you don't want all of it, you CAN take some of it home with you. If you can't control your impulses at restaurants, don't eat out. But lay off on suggesting that our "culture" should be set up with the lowest common denominator in mind. How about just try harder?

I don't think anyone has suggested changing culture.

It has simply been pointed out what the culture is and how it is setting us up for obesity.

And that is true.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The clever marketing strategies that sold the idea that "more is good" and led to the fat epidemic

Here is the history of bigger portion and the profits earned by big food. Great Entertainment.

I understand your mindset, but you might misunderstand and miscalculate the power of marketing. It is no secret that next to R&D, marketing is a corporations largest budget. Think about that. If it didnt work, they wouldn't do it. We're talking billions a year for some companies. It's not because they are stupid, it's because it is effective.

You would think people would realize that if a lot of money is invested in a certain strategy that means it is effective and it works.
    It is so much easier though to blame an individual's "choices", overeating 'cause they want to overeat, time management skills, gluttony, not knowing the RIGHT recipes that cook themselves in 3 minutes flat, the works.

Apparently you've never seen government programs

And it's even easier to assign blame to some third party's evil doing vs taking responsibility
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    It's totally a cultural issue. I don't think any other country (well, Canada maybe) even lets you take leftovers home. I've never seen it in Europe at least... and portions were much smaller there.

I also don't know anybody where I am coming from who claims to be able to slap together "miracle recipes" in minutes flat (including prep, cleaning up, distributing leftovers in containers, etc) - which recipes are also tasty, healthy, fresh, all natural, etc. Definitely not for an entire family!

People there allocate significant amounts of time to cooking. As long as they did that, they were not fat.
    Now that they are starting to live like Americans and no longer allocate that much time for cooking, they're starting to be fat.
    How simple is that?

Good, tasty, nutritious food takes a certain amount of time to make.
    Yes, that amount of time is worth it but that means other spheres of life will have to give.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    When I use to eat out a lot I expected large portions, the cost of eating out is way too expensive to get anything less than a large serving size. However, I don't eat it all in one sitting, I most always have left overs, depending on what I ordered. that way I have left overs for lunch.

I don't eat out nearly as much though, and I tend to go more for the salmon or chicken breast and steam veggies, and there is nothing to leave over when ordering that lol, on the rear occasion I do order something else, I will more likely have something for the next day.

I agree though, we are in a society that will have obesity, because the people expect more for their money.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options

And it's even easier to assign blame to some third party's evil doing vs taking responsibility

Who said you shouldn't take responsibility?
    I take responsibility ALL WHILE pointing to the "evil doings".

Your either/or mentality is just plain fallacious.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You know, it even only takes me about 15 minutes of actual work time to make homemade bread. I've never understood why people need bread makers. It isn't time-consuming or difficult to make without one.

I guess if you start by grinding your own flour, it takes a long time, though.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You could also say that our culture is set up for overspending...we have a lot of consumer goods and lots of fairly easy credit.

But, it isn't the responsibility of industry to make wise choices for us...

Industry offers options and it is the role of business to make those choices enticing.

But, there's also a ton of information and support on the web so that just about anyone who can log on can find support for making different choices.
  • Acg67
    Options

So they are forcing someone to purchase their product?
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You know, it even only takes me about 15 minutes of actual work time to make homemade bread. I've never understood why people need bread makers. It isn't time-consuming or difficult to make without one.

I agree 100%. I think a lot of people really overestimate how much time it takes to cook. I don't know about you, but when I first started really cooking on my own it took me a while to make a meal, but as I got better at it, I became faster and faster. It really is just like any other task you do. Practice makes perfect!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's totally a cultural issue. I don't think any other country (well, Canada maybe) even lets you take leftovers home. I've never seen it in Europe at least... and portions were much smaller there.

I also don't know anybody where I am coming from who claims to be able to slap together "miracle recipes" in minutes flat (including prep, cleaning up, distributing leftovers in containers, etc) - which recipes are also tasty, healthy, fresh, all natural, etc. Definitely not for an entire family!

People there allocate significant amounts of time to cooking. As long as they did that, they were not fat.
    Now that they are starting to live like Americans and no longer allocate that much time for cooking, they're starting to be fat.
    How simple is that?

Good, tasty, nutritious food takes a certain amount of time to make.
    Yes, that amount of time is worth it but that means other spheres of life will have to give.

Give me a time breakdown for making a good, tasty, nutritious meal.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    You could also say that our culture is set up for overspending...we have a lot of consumer goods and lots of fairly easy credit.

Nice try but hardly the same thing.

You do not have fight through financial and time constraints to curb overspending.
    On the contrary, simply choosing to not overspend will help with time and financial constraints.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I agree 100%. I think a lot of people really overestimate how much time it takes to cook. I don't know about you, but when I first started really cooking on my own it took me a while to make a meal, but as I got better at it, I became faster and faster. It really is just like any other task you do. Practice makes perfect!
    I'm sure WisdomFromYou grinds her own flour, though. I mean, that's the only way after all. Those of us who are able to make healthy, nutritious, tasty meals in less time are fooling ourselves, clearly.
  • whierd
    Options

There are no "evil doings" here. A restaurant offers a product/service. You choose between your options.
  • Acg67
    Options

I'm sure WisdomFromYou grinds her own flour, though. I mean, that's the only way after all. Those of us who are able to make healthy, nutritious, tasty meals in less time are fooling ourselves, clearly.

My bread takes like 14hrs to make, so it has to be healthy

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I remember going out to dinner with some old work colleagues of mine. The portions at this place were unbelievable. I ate til I was full, and the leftovers I brought home were dinner for both my husband and I the next night. *No one* needs portion sizes like that. I agree, it does sort of reframe your idea of what "normal" looks like.
  • whierd
    Options

Nice try but hardly the same thing.

You do not have fight through financial and time constraints to curb overspending.
    On the contrary, simply choosing to not overspend will help with time and financial constraints.

It also helps to elimimate eating out at restaurants. :wink: