The Miley Cyrus Eruption

Options

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing that social media wasn't prevalent when G.G. Allin was doing his thing.

Too bad dear old GG has passed on. He would've made a great VMA act. Now THAT would be shocking!
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing that social media wasn't prevalent when G.G. Allin was doing his thing.

or wendy o
  • blessybuva
    blessybuva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tnink its horrible how everyine is dissing Miley about it, but everyone failed to mention that the dude she was grinding on is alot older than her, and with a married father as well. in my eyes, he's the one that needs to be dissed and Miley needs to be left alone.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really criticizing this thread specifically. I am more concerned about the reaction by the media and public in general.

I have seen quite a bit about Syria in the media. I am well aware of the situation and the media seem to be, as well.

At this point, it's kind of a wait and see situation, though.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I thought what she did was a little crude. I may be in the minority also but I thought she was trying really hard to piss off every family council she could. I don't agree with everything they get mad about but this was a bit much for younger viewers. All she had to do was perform well and people would have talked about it. She didn't need the foam finger and she sure didn't need to continually thrust her hips to get attention. I saw a few of the performances and I thought Justin Timberlake blew her out of the water and all he really did was sing and dance. She might want to re-evaluate how she is getting herself talked about in public.

Maddona,Britney,Gaga<Kesha,Christina all do the same thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I enjoyed the performance and was quite surprised to hear all the "outrage" the next day. Miley is a beautiful young lady who has been going against the grain ever since she left Disney behind. I would love to smoke a bowl with her one day and listen to some Bob Marley. :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I will say that I disagree with those who think she lacks talent. Unfortunately, the girl was born and raised to utilize her voice and acting skills to the max.

I'm with you! I fell in love with her voice many years ago. I'm not a fan of pop music, but her voice is a refreshing change from the "digitally-altered" sounds that have been coming out of the pop genre lately.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I will say that I disagree with those who think she lacks talent. Unfortunately, the girl was born and raised to utilize her voice and acting skills to the max.

Just as unfortunately, the performance showed me that she lacks experience when it comes to sexuality, twerking, booty dancing, or whatever it is called at this very moment in time. The VMAs are known to shock. Does anyone else recall Britney making out with Madonna a few years ago? And this isn't the first star who is trying to make a bigger headline with sexually shocking behavior. I do believe that goes back in the annals of music history. As has been discussed, even Elvis was considered "racy" and "unfit" and "stealing from the african american culture" with his hip thrusts. And we won't go into Madonna's Like a Prayer video and all of the flak that caught. Or Like a Virgin and the *kitten* in the wedding dress?

Miley isn't the first one to be nearly nude on stage...And I do think this is the first year Gaga wasn't wearing a Meat costume or something ridiculous. It wasn't that shocking. It was almost...expected. It was supposed to happen.

I was surprised she was wearing so much. I mean...Janet Jackson showed more breast during a superbowl than Miley did during the VMAs....and MTV is cable TV!!

My only thing was...girl, get some panties that fit- they make your tail look better. Or a thong. Saran wrap doesn't mail anyone's booty look attractive. Seriously! Less is more!

I don't necessarily think that Miley doesn't have talent... but I don't feel she needs to overshadow her talent with shock value. I feel the same with Lady Gaga. Every time Lady Gaga comes on my husband wonders why she goes for shock value when she has talent in abundance. At this point, because people like Madonna pioneered it... it's pretty unoriginal at this point... now it's just done just because they can get away with it.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'll give her a year before she's the next Amanda Bynes or Lindsey Lohan...
    I think she's just acting like a slut because she knows she's talent-less trash.
    I'm sure her daddy must be so proud :')

This has come out of my mouth so many times!!!!

Let's see where she is in 6 months to a year.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I had to Google this. I don't care. You're right, it's completely predictable and even the "shock" is stale.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think she's just acting like a slut because she knows she's talent-less trash.

I believe Amanda Bynes was diagnosed with schizophrenia, which explains why she went so nutty so quickly out of nowhere and is NOT the same situation.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really criticizing this thread specifically. I am more concerned about the reaction by the media and public in general. I thought the Miley thing was mildly entertaining, funny and a little disturbing but I don't think it deserves anywhere near the attention it's been getting.

It's entertainment. All we have to do is ignore it and it will go away. However, ignoring the situation is Syria won't have the same effect.
    My response came off far more defensive then I intended anyways. I was really just trying to get across the fact that we actually can't talk about things that really matter without getting people upset. Upset people equals locked threads.

When 9/11 happened it was all over the news along side another story talking about how "The Mind of a Married Man" was not as funny as "Sex and the City"

In 1962 there was the Cuban missile crisis being talked about side by side with articles questioning whether or not "West Side Story" really deserved its awards.

All throughout history there have always been big important things to discuss and right next to those topics have always been the immature tag along brother or sister to tell us about camel toe on Britney Spears or Kim Kardashians 2 week old shoes.

Perhaps on some level people need to be able to thing about something that don't have so much gravity. Perhaps by talking about Miley Cyrus people are able to forget about the chemical warfare in Syria. I know in my personal life I will use juggling as a way to escape from my day for a little while. All I have to do is think about catching that ball or club or ring and nothing else.

It doesn't make someone a bad person for wanting to do that. I do think it can get out of hand and people start to think that they have a right to know what is going on in the personal lives of a celebrity. I don't agree with that but I can understand that for some people Miley Cyrus is their juggling.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I believe Amanda Bynes was diagnosed with schizophrenia, which explains why she went so nutty so quickly out of nowhere and is NOT the same situation.

The whole Amanda Bynes thing made me just plain sad.
  • rml_16
    Options
    All throughout history there have always been big important things to discuss and right next to those topics have always been the immature tag along brother or sister to tell ups about camel toe on Britney Spears or Kim Kardashians 2 week old shoes.

Yes. And there is nothing wrong with that, either. If all we ever talked or thought about was all the scary, serious stuff happening, we would go crazy!

I have a hard time caring most of the time about famous people's lives, but when EVERYONE is talking about something like this. I form an opinion and it's kind of interesting to discuss some aspects of it, especially as it's a reflection and influence on our culture in general.

And we watch television and movies and read books -- all fiction and we talk about it and enjoy it. It's an escape from the horrors of the world. There are a lot of horrors in the world. We need distractions sometimes.
  • rml_16
    Options

The whole Amanda Bynes thing made me just plain sad.
    Me, too.

I didn't know what to think when she went all wacko. I couldn't figure out how she got all the way into her 20s without even a blip on her "record" and then that all happened. But mental illness does that. I hope she gets treated and medicated and back to herself as much as possible. She's a talented young woman.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've missed out on a lot, but then again, I've never seen her Disney show.

Let's see. My hubby is a truck driver and the truck broke down. Going to be a tight month. That is really all that is affecting my life right now. Missed the whole thing.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It wasn't sexy or edgy, it was sad. A sad little girl looking for attention
    This.
    A sad, lost little girl who doesn't know her true value and worth as a woman in God's eyes.
    Hey now don't go bringing God in to this. You are going to get my thread locked. I am trying to play it very middle of the road here.

The fact of the matter is I am not allowed to give my opinion about God and/or religion so the whole topic has to stay completely off the table.
  • I just think she is going thru an identity crisis ... it saddens me only because she is young - she is doing a Britney Spears "I am a slave for you" even could say a Christina Aguilera "Dirty" but in a whole new level of f'd up. In a society where the junkier, the more vulgar, the more degrading is what sells the most - she is doing her thing - as many have said, she is being talked about a lot.