Will you gain weight if you eat before sleeping?

Options

Replies

• GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Every single night since I started, I eat a Greek yogurt /in/ bed while reading. Sometimes, like last night, I'll even have a couple/few vanilla wafers or some such. Still losing weight. ;)
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Well, I make language jokes all the time - the goldmember thing is funny (There is a movie by that title) - and I speak a few languages (English is my second, German my fourth and throw in a few others) but I wasn't making fun of YOU. Typos are funny.

I think you brought in your doc's education as "proof of truth". She's just a doc and doesn't have "la science infuse".

No, I brought up my doctors education because someone in this tread started making jokes about her credentials. And aaaaaall that is because my diet plan prescribed by this doctor conflicts with whatever they've read in this forum.

Yeah, she's just a doctor but she's specialized in weight loss and has been successfully working in the weightloss for decades. Therefore, I'm sorry but in my eyes she has more authority than someone online. If you don't mind, I'll keep following the diet she prescribed me. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    But isnt is true because you're not burning anything or doing anything physical and the body stores the food as fat?

no...

and your body is still breathing, conducting organ function etc while you sleep and this takes energy, i.e. calories to do ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ..if youre under your allotted calories for the day but eat, an apple for example, 1 hour before bed? Sometimes, work can be hectic and go on till 10-11pm. At this time, I get a tad bit hungry. So I was wondering if eating an apple or so (as long as Im under my calorie limit). But I read somewhere (cant confirm the authenticity) that if you eat before sleeping then it will be deposited as fat.

Is that trye at all? Or is that true for unhealthy junk food only?

I'm on a diet that doesn't allowed any food after 6 pm. My doctor is very strict about no food after 6, so it's not a myth.

But if I'm feeling really hungry, I can have a half glass of warm skim milk. It's allowed. It helps to calm the stomach.

My doctor recommends to have something to drink tat is easy to digest. This way my digestive system is also relaxing while I'm sleeping.

I would recommend a new doctor and diet plan...

I regularly eat after 6pm and have lost weight and maintain 13% body fat...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    How did I lose my weight by eating 50-75% of my daily calories (sometimes 90%) within 1-2 hours of going to sleep?

How do I maintain control over my weight goals (up and down) over the last 18 months by eating the same way?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Well, I make language jokes all the time - the goldmember thing is funny (There is a movie by that title) - and I speak a few languages (English is my second, German my fourth and throw in a few others) but I wasn't making fun of YOU. Typos are funny.

I think you brought in your doc's education as "proof of truth". She's just a doc and doesn't have "la science infuse".

No, I brought up my doctors education because someone in this tread started making jokes about her credentials. And aaaaaall that is because my diet plan prescribed by this doctor conflicts with whatever they've read in this forum.

Yeah, she's just a doctor but she's specialized in weight loss and has been successfully working in the weightloss for decades. Therefore, I'm sorry but in my eyes she has more authority than someone online. If you don't mind, I'll keep following the diet she prescribed me. :)

A doctor specializes in weight loss? lolwut? There is not much to the laws of thermodynamics?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ..if youre under your allotted calories for the day but eat, an apple for example, 1 hour before bed? Sometimes, work can be hectic and go on till 10-11pm. At this time, I get a tad bit hungry. So I was wondering if eating an apple or so (as long as Im under my calorie limit). But I read somewhere (cant confirm the authenticity) that if you eat before sleeping then it will be deposited as fat.

Is that trye at all? Or is that true for unhealthy junk food only?

I'm on a diet that doesn't allowed any food after 6 pm. My doctor is very strict about no food after 6, so it's not a myth.

But if I'm feeling really hungry, I can have a half glass of warm skim milk. It's allowed. It helps to calm the stomach.

My doctor recommends to have something to drink tat is easy to digest. This way my digestive system is also relaxing while I'm sleeping.

I'm not sure of the doctors reasoning behind the not eating after 6pm thing however it's been proven a myth over and over again.. If you eat 1500 calories between 7am and 6pm or 1500 calories between 5pm and 12 pm you will lose the same amount of weight provided your activity is the same.

Well, it's a proven fact that this is the only way I can actually see significant difference in my weightloss process. You can tell me that it's a myth as many times as you want but I know what I see and experience - I do lse weight FASTER not eating after 6 pm, no bread, no sweets. I know my body and I know how it works.
    Eating 1500 between 5 pm and 12 pm while living and working normal hours not only would cause me to gain weight but also causes stomach pain and gold bladder problems. I've tried,thank you, and it wasn't good.

I think people should stop preaching whatever they've read online because nt everything you read on forums is legit. Instead people should listen to the medical professionals.
    if you dont mind I'd trust professionals with medical education and decades of experience in weightloss, not some people with obvious no medical education who's jst read some topics online and decided they're the masterminds of weightloss.

calorie intake causes you to lose or gain weight, not when you eat..

by your logic, I would eat 1000 calories over maintenance between 8am and 6pm and still lose weight...
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

A doctor specializes in weight loss? lolwut? There is not much to the laws of thermodynamics?

You have been commenting on my posts for a while, young man. I've noticed you, don't worry. No need to try too hard :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

You have been commenting on my posts for a while, young man. I've noticed you, don't worry. No need to try too hard :)

Why would I try hard on someone who really has no idea of the laws of energy?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    If credentials matter (which is questionable to begin with as I've seen credentialed and "educated" people make claims that have been readily established as erroneous) -- here you have it from Alan Aragon (bachelors and masters degrees in Nutrition and a very long list of accolades).

Alan: Whether fat oxidation is greater during waking or sleeping hours doesn’t matter. What matters is 24-hour fat balance, which is fat synthesis minus fat oxidation. See, those are the 2 sides to the equation. If you eat less during the day & more at night, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate during the day. If you do the opposite, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate through the night – & you end up at the same spot. After 24 hours, the body doesn’t know nor care which half of the day contributed to either a net loss, gain, or maintenance of fat balance. Unless you have a specific need for increased energy intake (ie, prolonged competition in a particular sport ocurring in the earlier part of the day), there’s no reason to assume that eating more during the day & less in the evening is INHERENTLY beneficial for body composition goals.

http://fitnfly.com/learn-about-food/nutrition-facts#_

Ok, and my doctor has a different opinion, and she has a post doctorate degree. If its a competition who's got better education, she'll beat your Alan's butt.

Anyway, Alan is not the last testament in this matter, there are thousands of researches done. It's the matter of personal preference which doctor to trust.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if post doctorate degree exists in the USA. It's what you get after your PhD. I think it's mostly European and Asian.

You know, it's funny when you look at your diary none of your days have a consistent caloric intake. Yet, you're convinced the only way for you to lose weight is to get medical advice from a doctor.

Maybe you should try consistency first.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

If you don't have evidence, argue credentials, if you don't have credentials rely on personal attacks. Good for rhetoric, but not so good for the reasoned discussion of science, or much else for that matter.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options

sounds like she is blowing stuff out of proportion. So if she said never eat solid food only liquid and drink only water and you will surely lose weight then you would follow blindly?

From what I read you follow her "do not eat after a certain time". Sounds like that is just being more strict then need to be done. But there has been plenty of evidence that if it doesn't matter like Steel pointed out. I am not saying what she says doesn't work, it is just that she is making you do something that is not necessary for success.
  • myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    so....no!
  • MrsDestanyRodriguez
    MrsDestanyRodriguez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always have a "snack" before bed it wont affect your weight loss its not bad as long as you dont go over your calories but i do allways have my "snack" before midnight because after midnight i consider it a new day for food logging!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I always have a "snack" before bed it wont affect your weight loss its not bad as long as you dont go over your calories but i do allways have my "snack" before midnight because after midnight i consider it a new day for food logging!

this.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NO

Not if you in a deficit no more discussion NO MORE!!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    But isnt is true because you're not burning anything or doing anything physical and the body stores the food as fat?

no...

and your body is still breathing, conducting organ function etc while you sleep and this takes energy, i.e. calories to do ...

Many people think your body just stops working when you sleep .

People the body is ALWAYS burning calories unless you are dead!!
  • ambergaelle
    ambergaelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is the most entertaining thread on this forum.
    i think the main reason i gained weight so quick in the past was because i suffer major insomnia and usually ended up binging at night.
    Since on clean food/calorie deficit, i continue to get my most intense cravings at night, like, LATE at night.
    I always keep enough calories in my "budget" to have a healthy snack before bed so i dont feel full nor famished... not eating before bed usually results in an obsession in my cravings that keeps me from sleeping.
    Also i get those really vivid dreams about waffles! haha. (wish i was joking!)
    my weight loss has been very stable over the last month since i started... about 1-2lbs a week depending if i get my butt to the gym that week... it would make total sense to me that the time you eat does not factor in your weight loss as long as you are at deficit given your BMR is an indicator for a 24hr period that includes sleep.
    Some food are potentially not really good for your quality of sleep though.
    thats my 2 cents...
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter. Calories do. You won't gain weight from eating before bedtime if you are in a deficit.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You actually burn more calories while you are sleeping than you do exercising. I usually burn around 800 calories while sleeping, but only 300 in an exercise session.

It does NOT matter *when* you eat your calories as long as you are in a deficit for the day under your TDEE. The calorie deficit is what matters, not when you eat.

how did you measure your calories burnt during sleep?

Probably with an HRM.

thats crazy..that would mean the person would have to sleep with the strap on then..

it would be interesting to see if a person burns more calories if theyre tired...or days where youve burnt more vs days less (while asleep)..interesting topic to research.

I have a fitbit that I wear to bed. It tracks my sleeping patterns and shows me my calories burned while sleeping.

OP, the answer is no. I do IF and can eat quite a lot right before sleep.