Feeling Hungry? Drink Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• laurachavis96
    Options
    Here's a link about diet soda. I personally have eliminated soda from my diet, but occasionally will have a regular soda. Everyone has their own tastes and desires, so lets support one another. However, being informed is being armed. Good luck to us all on our health journey.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/10/diet-soda-health-problems/2507219/
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm not above drinking diet soda, but this:
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up.

makes me laugh. The "low-calorie jelly" part also makes me laugh.

Get some Diet Coke and low-calorie jelly if you want to lose weight, y'all. Who needs real food?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Just drink a glass of straigh parrot bay rum and go to bed.

This.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    umm, no, thank you
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just drink a glass of straigh parrot bay rum and go to bed.

This is the best advice yet!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

I've always been taught that eating late makes you gain weight because the food you eat late won't be burned off by any daily activity. Diet coke doesn't make me feel hungry though. It fills me up (and some of my friends too).

Truthfully, as long as your daily total intake is less than your total daily burn, you will lose weight, no matter when you consume the calories. If you burn 2500 calories total throughout the day, and eat 1500, you will lose weight, doesn't matter if you eat the majority of those calories in the morning, or the evening, or late at night. You will, however, possibly feel more energetic throughout the day if spread them out evenly, and may sleep a little better if you go to bed neither full, nor hungry.

Diet coke once in a while may not hurt, but it isn't really good for you, in fact any soda at all depletes your body of calcium, with diet coke you have the added problems of artificial sweeteners. So again, as an occasional treat it might be okay, but I'll pass on having it daily! (Actually, I rarely drink any soda. I love water.)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm not above drinking diet soda, but this:
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up.

makes me laugh. The "low-calorie jelly" part also makes me laugh.

Get some Diet Coke and low-calorie jelly if you want to lose weight, y'all. Who needs real food?
    I was surprised no one else pointed that out. :noway:

BTW for everyone, no matter what the nutrition label says, the only things with truly 0 calories are pure water and air. If an item has <5 calories per serving, the company can list it as 0. (Source: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064894.htm - N7 "The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level).") Things that are "x free" (e.g., fat, sugar, etc.) can also be manipulated under the serving size rules.

8 fl. oz. of Diet Coke actually contains 0.7calories. While I know that's not much or worth anything, I just wanted to point out that it's not really 0 like people believe.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    Soda isn't exactly a whole food so it's not on my list of things to drink... I think I'd rather have black tea if I needed a caffeine fix (it probably "fills you up" because it's a suppressant...) But then, right before bed? I'd rather go to bed hungry than be up all night.

Besides that, I always think of this wonderful inspirational message:
    aspartame-putting-the-die-in-diet-since-1983.jpg
  • ThriceBlessed
    Options
    Why drink CHEMICALS even if no-one has filed a law suit yet? Do we really need to wait for a multimillion dollar law suit to tell us that eating and drinking the stuff used in radiator fluid is bad for our health??

Do you want to be thin or do you want to live long and be healthy?

Water (H2O) is a chemical. Simple fact.

True, all matter in the universe can be broken down into chemical elements. However, some combinations are naturally occurring and good for you, others are neither naturally occurring or good for you, (aspartame does not exist in nature, humans artificially manipulated the chemical structure of two naturally occurring amino acids (L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine) to produce a substance that would otherwise have never occurred. The jury may still be out on whether it is harmful, but it is certainly not natural by any stretch of the imagination.
  • ThriceBlessed
    Options
    Good Article. Thank you for posting the link.
    The source is actually extremely important, especially on the internet and especially when you're looking up medical and/or scientific information on the internet. There are specific places that are okay to look. MSN, FOX, CNN, BBC, Washington Times, and the LA Times are not appropriate places to look for medical/scientific information. The appropriate places to look would be Johns Hopkins or Mayo Clinic. For example, this http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073 would be an appropriate link as it gives accurate information on all sugar substitutes as well as pros and cons of both sugar substitutes and real sugar. Hope this helps :wink:

That is if you believe that Western Medicine has all the answers, that those who profit from illness truly want you to be healthy, that the same medical establishment that once endorsed cigarettes is always right. (Noting that it was the American Medical Association that once endorsed cigarettes, not Johns Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic, but still it was a well established medical organization that people believed they could trust.)
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Wow..so I guess that is why we cannot sue alcohol or tobacco companies either since they are fine for our health as well as junk food w/ that logic.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

sorry to burst your bubble, but if aspartame could be proven to be harmful, dontcha think all the trial lawyers in the world would be lined up to cash in on the biggest class action lawsuit in history?

I have been drinking 3-4 coke zero's a day for the last 5 years. In that time, I lost nearly 80 lbs, improved my blood pressure and cholesterol, and my pearly whites are gleaming.

Quit fearmongering.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Wow..so I guess that is why we cannot sue alcohol or tobacco companies either since they are fine for our health as well as junk food w/ that logic.
    Were you living under a rock in the mid-90s? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_Master_Settlement_Agreement
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options

So, wait, jelly?

As in... pectin/water/sweetner + nothing else. Jelly?

Is this about hunger or a sweet craving?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

I've always been taught that eating late makes you gain weight because the food you eat late won't be burned off by any daily activity. Diet coke doesn't make me feel hungry though. It fills me up (and some of my friends too).

that's a myth ...your body still has to perform bodily functions at night - like breathing - and that takes calories to do, so you are still burning calories, even at rest...

just drink water instead...and eat when you want...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    People are so judgmental!! She didn't say she was living off of diet coke. She said sometimes she has one at night if she's feeling hungry. Good grief! If you like the tip, good if you don't...then good. Don't do it.

umm the tip is wrong..you wont gain wait if you eat after 6pm..

sorry but I refute bad advice..

and why not drink water instead?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is my tip...drink water, lots of it..
  • rla331
    rla331 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People are so judgmental!! She didn't say she was living off of diet coke. She said sometimes she has one at night if she's feeling hungry. Good grief! If you like the tip, good if you don't...then good. Don't do it.

"Good grief" is right. It's one thing to choose something for oneself. It is quite another to promote/advise it to others. Yes, I will be totally "judgemental" when someone recommends eating anything other than real food when one is hungry.

She's not telling you to do it! You are a big girl, make your own decisions. She's telling people what works for her. This place is supposed to be for helping each other, not tearing people to shreds. Some of you really should be ashamed.
  • ndj1979
    Options

"Good grief" is right. It's one thing to choose something for oneself. It is quite another to promote/advise it to others. Yes, I will be totally "judgemental" when someone recommends eating anything other than real food when one is hungry.

She's not telling you to do it! You are a big girl, make your own decisions. She's telling people what works for her. This place is supposed to be for helping each other, not tearing people to shreds. Some of you really should be ashamed.
    so when people post in a public forum a tip that we think is bunk, we should all just say "hooooray, great job! Such a great idea! sorry it does not work that way...
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    How have managed my life that it never occurred to me to drink a diet soda.....
    hello Captain Obvious....
    but I rarely drink that stuff anymore. It isn't good for you.