How do I know if I have wide hips or not?

Options

Replies

• Ideal362433
    Options
    also when I lose weight I lose it in my hips I was a 35-23.8-32 before at my smallest. My bust stays large but my but goes down. I was thinking if I build it up with muscle and flatten my stomach then I could be 36-23-33.
    There's no way to target loss, but if you know it's going away from a certain area.. since it has done so before... thank your genetics.

If I work out my abs and build up my glutes that doesn't work how not?

Working out your abs isn't going to change your hips. And gaining muscle in your glute area (or any area) is a lot harder than you think. it takes time and a lot of hard work - i.e. heavy lifting and doing bulk and cutting cycles.

It's odd I'm a mesomorph but it's hard for me to gain weight. Like I bulk up muscle like hell but gaining fat is a hard task. My mom's the same and her dad is a true mesomorph he gains fat and muscle quite easily if he's sedentary or when he was a bodybuilder...

So yeah, gaining muscle wouldn't be that hard for me. I have strong legs to begin with

At 9 I was very muscular from dancing ballet swimming and gymnastics. I bulk up actually too much for my liking and that was when I was 9.

Oh.

:laugh:

when I was 9 I had pp which is a condition that gave me an adultlike body. I know that may sound weird what I said above that's why I was just explaining.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    also when I lose weight I lose it in my hips I was a 35-23.8-32 before at my smallest. My bust stays large but my but goes down. I was thinking if I build it up with muscle and flatten my stomach then I could be 36-23-33.
    There's no way to target loss, but if you know it's going away from a certain area.. since it has done so before... thank your genetics.

Working out your abs isn't going to change your hips. And gaining muscle in your glute area (or any area) is a lot harder than you think. it takes time and a lot of hard work - i.e. heavy lifting and doing bulk and cutting cycles.

It's odd I'm a mesomorph but it's hard for me to gain weight. Like I bulk up muscle like hell but gaining fat is a hard task. My mom's the same and her dad is a true mesomorph he gains fat and muscle quite easily if he's sedentary or when he was a bodybuilder...

So yeah, gaining muscle wouldn't be that hard for me.

That's so not true...lol. You cannot just bulk easy unless you are on steroids.

What do you mean by bulk?

What I mean is toning up.

Which as a mesomorph I can easily manage.

And plus I saw my mom would bulk up easily to the point she looked more like an inverted triangle shape.

Anyway my reality isn't yours. If you don't know this to be true I don't really care.

I hope your reality includes things like science...if it does, than I stand by my answer. :flowerforyou:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology

Ectomorphic: characterized by long and thin muscles/limbs and low fat storage; usually referred to as slim. Ectomorphs are not predisposed to store fat nor build muscle.
    Mesomorphic: characterized by medium bones, solid torso, low fat levels, wide shoulders with a narrow waist; usually referred to as muscular. Mesomorphs are predisposed to build muscle but not store fat.
    Endomorphic: characterized by increased fat storage, a wide waist and a large bone structure, usually referred to as fat, or chunky. Endomorphs are predisposed to storing fat.

There is evidence that different physiques carry cultural stereotypes. For example, one study found that endomorphs are likely to be perceived as slow, sloppy, and lazy. Mesomorphs, in contrast, are typically stereotyped as popular and hardworking, whereas ectomorphs are often viewed as intelligent but fearful.[1] Stereotypes of mesomorphs are generally much more favorable than those of endomorphs. Stereotypes of ectomorphs are somewhat mixed.

The three body type descriptions could be modulated by body composition, which can be altered by specific diets and training techniques. In a famine, a person who was once considered an endomorph may begin to instead resemble an ectomorph, while an athletic mesomorph may begin to look more like an endomorph as he or she ages and loses muscle mass.[citation needed]

However, some aspects of the somatotype cannot be changed: muscle and adipose mass may change but the bone structure is a fixed characteristic. In the same way, cultural conditions might mask a tendency to one or another temperament

this is all I have to say to you on science.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    lmao. Ruler body shapes seem boring? Are you kidding me? LMAO. well..okay then. Best of luck OP.

Personally I think all body types are interesting and I can't believe how obsessed people are with labeling themselves. Does it make them happier to know they have an interesting body shape? Does it make them important? Does their shape translate to them being interesting even if they have a bad personality?

How does body shape define people as the person they are?

*washes eyes* I just looked through OP's posts. ALL of them are about her breasts and/or her body. And she wants to argue with anyone and everyone until enough people tell her that she's:

1. pretty
    and, in this case
    2. shaped like an hourglass

I am sensing a pattern with OP of young adult self-esteem and body image issues.

OP learn to be okay with who you are. Maybe talk to a professional counselor? If you are agonizing about this, and you really seem to be upset, about 2" of your waist line, it's a body image issue.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

And plus I saw my mom would bulk up easily to the point she looked more like an inverted triangle shape.

Anyway my reality isn't yours. If you don't know this to be true I don't really care.

I hope your reality includes things like science...if it does, than I stand by my answer. :flowerforyou:

Ectomorphic: characterized by long and thin muscles/limbs and low fat storage; usually referred to as slim. Ectomorphs are not predisposed to store fat nor build muscle.
    Mesomorphic: characterized by medium bones, solid torso, low fat levels, wide shoulders with a narrow waist; usually referred to as muscular. Mesomorphs are predisposed to build muscle but not store fat.
    Endomorphic: characterized by increased fat storage, a wide waist and a large bone structure, usually referred to as fat, or chunky. Endomorphs are predisposed to storing fat.

There is evidence that different physiques carry cultural stereotypes. For example, one study found that endomorphs are likely to be perceived as slow, sloppy, and lazy. Mesomorphs, in contrast, are typically stereotyped as popular and hardworking, whereas ectomorphs are often viewed as intelligent but fearful.[1] Stereotypes of mesomorphs are generally much more favorable than those of endomorphs. Stereotypes of ectomorphs are somewhat mixed.

The three body type descriptions could be modulated by body composition, which can be altered by specific diets and training techniques. In a famine, a person who was once considered an endomorph may begin to instead resemble an ectomorph, while an athletic mesomorph may begin to look more like an endomorph as he or she ages and loses muscle mass.[citation needed]

However, some aspects of the somatotype cannot be changed: muscle and adipose mass may change but the bone structure is a fixed characteristic. In the same way, cultural conditions might mask a tendency to one or another temperament

Somatype is a pseudo-science created in the 1940's and modern scientists have already dismissed these claims as outdated.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    to me you dont have big hips at all but if you want to know enter your measurements here http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html to find out what type of body you have

Thanks but it doesn't give me a shape. I don't fit in completely supposedly with that calculator

I just tried the calculator too, and it said I didn't fit in with their shapes either...although my waist is 10 inches smaller than my bust and hips which I am pretty sure= hourglass.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    there's a perfect ratio? according to whom? and .8 is bad? what does any of this mean? is it possible to just accept our bodies, change what we can within the limits of our genetics, and not worry about mythical shapes that resemble fruits and/or ancient timekeeping devices?

NVM. i got nothing

I agree with Dav on this.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    lmao. Ruler body shapes seem boring? Are you kidding me? LMAO. well..okay then. Best of luck OP.

Personally I think all body types are interesting and I can't believe how obsessed people are with labeling themselves. Does it make them happier to know they have an interesting body shape? Does it make them important? Does their shape translate to them being interesting even if they have a bad personality?

*washes eyes* I just looked through OP's posts. ALL of them are about her breasts and/or her body. And she wants to argue with anyone and everyone until enough people tell her that she's:

1. pretty
    and, in this case

I am sensing a pattern with OP of young adult self-esteem and body image issues.

OP learn to be okay with who you are. Maybe talk to a professional counselor? If you are agonizing about this, and you really seem to be upset, about 2" of your waist line, it's a body image issue.

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth. Seeing a lot of red flags throughout this thread
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options

1. pretty
    and, in this case

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth. Seeing a lot of red flags throughout this thread

I agree, OP is phishing.

There is a 20 inch difference between my hips and waist, almost 10 inches between waist and bust. So I was curious about the "do I have wide hips" thing. Can't believe I went through this whole post.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    You look great, but no you're not hourglass and you do not have wide hips. They're narrow and lovely. You have a great shape and a beautiful body. Who cares what shape it is as long as you're "in shape"? And you are!:flowerforyou:
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Look I wanna be a strawberry shape cause I love strawberries! Now you will tell me how many inches I need to lose off my hips and thighs and how many strawberries a day I have to eat to get there, pronto!!!:explode:
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    894.gif
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    :noway: Just WoW!!! I can see being curious about what body shape u would be considered but really??? I remember having friends like this in middle school... Always phishing 4 compliments... It was VERY annoying just like this is! Get over yourself OP!!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I still want to know what biotin has to do with it.
  • Ideal362433
    Options

1. pretty
    and, in this case

You sound beligerent trying to stir for a fight.

If you don't know how to politely discuss a topic I don't want you on my thread

You haven't read my post at all. I like being an inverted triangle. I already said that. However you want to hear what makes you feel better. And just because you feel bad about yourself doesn't mean everyone else does.

Also that's just weird no one's even seen my face I never have wanted a day in my life to be pretty. I'm a tomboy if you didn't notice.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    :noway: Just WoW!!! I can see being curious about what body shape u would be considered but really??? I remember having friends like this in middle school... Always phishing 4 compliments... It was VERY annoying just like this is! Get over yourself OP!!!

You sound jealous. I'm not asking for compliments. But you do seem to be a hater and that gets old and annoying to me. Been there done that.

Just admit it you just accused me of phishing so you can negatively post about me. I did nothing to indicate I ever asked for a compliment.

If you're upset posters left positive feedback I didn't post it. Your problem is with them or yourself for being so sensitive. But not me.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    to me you dont have big hips at all but if you want to know enter your measurements here http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html to find out what type of body you have

Thanks but it doesn't give me a shape. I don't fit in completely supposedly with that calculator

I just tried the calculator too, and it said I didn't fit in with their shapes either...although my waist is 10 inches smaller than my bust and hips which I am pretty sure= hourglass.

Yeah I think something's wrong with that calculator tbh.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    You look great, but no you're not hourglass and you do not have wide hips. They're narrow and lovely. You have a great shape and a beautiful body. Who cares what shape it is as long as you're "in shape"? And you are!:flowerforyou:

thanks I figured out my body shape that's all I wanted. I think I should have gone about asking the question differently.
  • Ideal362433
    Options

Somatype is a pseudo-science created in the 1940's and modern scientists have already dismissed these claims as outdated.
    His theory was of course.

But a person can have the body type described in either 3 sectors...

I'm a mesonorph by his physical description I wasn't talking about psychologically that's just weird.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    I still want to know what biotin has to do with it.

Do a search on this site it talks about weight issues and biotin.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If you use the magical beauty equation your hips should be 1.68x your waist for perfect proportions. If your hips are wider than this calculation too wide. If narrower too narrow.

But it is all a load of rubbish. Just learn to like yourself and try clothes on to see if they fit.

That equation doesn't seem correct, that means for somebody with a 26inch waist, their hips should be around 44??

Nah, don't think so, that would be completely and utterly out of proportion and look peculiar.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!