How on earth do I stop the after dinner snacking?!

Options
I can't help eating snacks straight after dinner! Crackers, peanut butter, crisps, yoghurt, just whatever I have in my house. Calories wise its like a eat 2 meals at once, my normal dinner (550 cals) then snacks (400)... This is really bad for my diet but I can't take my hands... I already tried drinking tea and chewing gum.. It doesn't work...

Any tips, tricks, or words of wisdom?! :)

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    Are you still hungry after eating dinner, or do you just snack out of habit? Maybe try eating a bigger dinner, or eating dinner later?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stop. You can eat less during the day leaving you enough cals to fit those snacks in.
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    I can't stop after dinner snacking, I plan for it, I make sure that my portions are normal or mabey smaller than normal then I plan my snacks, I have one every night after I put my son to bed, about 2 hours before I go to bed myself, just make sure it fits within your daily calorie budget and it really wont hurt you. I usually go for frozen yogurt :) or a bowl of cereal
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.
    so helpful!
    maybe your not eating enough for dinner, or you need to eat more filling foods!
  • jaynecaron5
    jaynecaron5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spread my daily calories a little thinner so I have calories for that night time snacking. Usually I have pretzels (counted) and one chocolate - it satisfies that need.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating something filling at dinner. Then, just don't do it. I find distraction works well for me. Go for a walk, clean up the house (stay out of the kitchen). Play with the family, ride a bike. Just don't sit there and think about the snacking. You got this!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I can't help eating snacks straight after dinner! Crackers, peanut butter, crisps, yoghurt, just whatever I have in my house. Calories wise its like a eat 2 meals at once, my normal dinner (550 cals) then snacks (400)... This is really bad for my diet but I can't take my hands... I already tried drinking tea and chewing gum.. It doesn't work...

Stop eating that kind of food. Dont purchase it either. That food seems to be the kind that you cant just stop at one, coz it tastes good. Since you cant just stop at one, dont even start. I also believe the manufacturers of that food make it so good that you want more. it has ingredients that dont satisfy you , it makes you want more.

so just say no and problem solved. substitute something else more filling like fiber. Also stop doing whatever you are doing while eating snacks. if its your watching tv, and you have to have mindless snacking, then get up and dont watch tv, but do something that gets you away from it.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    One obvious (to me) solution is to get rid of the unhealthy snacks and replace with things that are better for you such as celery sticks.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    don't start!!
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a filling late dinner if I really need a snack I eat these little 150 cal cups I found in the freezer isle with graham cracker bottom then chocolate or strawberry middle with a little whip cream on the top its normally my desert
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm also an evening eater, and the ONLY thing that works for me is by saving about 60-70% of my calories for 6pm and onwards. So I basically eat light throughout the day and then look forward to eating a big meal with a few evening snacks. I also walk in the evenings and that helps too :)
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Maybe have a protein snack an hour prior to dinner and then have dinner a little later. Keep away from the kitchen once dishes are done. Go into your bedroom or take a shower or something to get away from that area of the house.
  • Creative_Sam
    Creative_Sam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I find it challenging to not snack after dinner.
    It's a war in my head that goes on and on.

The only thing that works for me - is distraction.
    I snack because I'm bored, or watching TV. So I go to gym in the evenings now, and allow myself a zero calorie jelly or instant pudding just before bed.
    But for me - distraction is key.

ETA: I snack out of habit - it's not because I'm hungry. This often leads to me eating excessive amounts of calories.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I can't stop after dinner snacking, I plan for it, I make sure that my portions are normal or mabey smaller than normal then I plan my snacks, I have one every night after I put my son to bed, about 2 hours before I go to bed myself, just make sure it fits within your daily calorie budget and it really wont hurt you. I usually go for frozen yogurt :) or a bowl of cereal

This.

Save some calories for some snacks in the evening, then you don't have to stop. You might find it's the "I can't have anything else to eat" mentality that's making you want to snack anyway.
  • tanyadolan1
    tanyadolan1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink loads of water which I find helps
    Options

Are you eating the right things at dinner?

As for snacking, you need to stop it for just a few days for it to become easier to repeat, one day at a time, each day better than the last.

Also, as erickirb has posted, you don't have to stop, you can make space for snacks in your eating plan, however you will have to reduce something else in order to meet you calorific goal.

Keep at it, eat right and don't lie to yourself about how much you are eating.
  • murphey21
    murphey21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Trust me its very hard, I try to allow myself around 200 calories for an after dinner snack and keep drinking my water. Usually I will have something thats kind of sweet like a dessert but satisfies my sweet tooth. My favorites are a vitatop with a tablespoon of peanut butter on it or a mini pretzel bagel with a tablespoon of peanut butter on it. My other snack I like is a bag of the 100 calorie popcorn. I have to have a snack after dinner, but as long as I allow for it and track it, it all works out.