Diet drinks lead to obesity

Options

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    Options
    My friend drinks normal soda and is close to obese. I drink diet and I'm not. We both punched science in the face.

Haha
  • crazylilrae
    crazylilrae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I surmise that a lot of the problem with diet sodas leading to obesity is that people think because they're drinking diet, they can eat ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING their little hearts desire [i.e: Supersize Big Mac Meal... and a diet coke.] I even have people tell me ALL THE TIME that diet coke really does have sugars and stuff in it, even though the nutrition label says nothing. I don't believe for a second that drinking diet coke made me obese. I believe it was all the take out, second and third helpings, and constant snacking on crap food that did it. My mother, and myself have both lost weight while STILL drinking diet coke, and quite frankly, while I have cut back on how much I drink of it, I don't think I could stop drinking it all together.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    "The "statement" was an implication that the "lifestyle" (whatever that means; you didn't mention what "lifestyle" you were talking about) will lead to long-term health effects.

If you think that's true, prove it."

I have nothing to prove. Nor do I feel compelled to "prove" anything. Nor am I interested in debating absolutists. What I obviously only implied, but was not crystal clear about, is your body changes over time. What you know to be true today about yourself or your lifestyle, may not be true tomorrow or years later. It is in response all the testimony on this thread that diet soda never caused weight gain (which is prima facie evidence that it can't. A species argument).
    I also believe that there is so much we DON'T know. And just because something has not been "proven" does not mean it isn't true or will not be discovered. Carl Sagen fan. No apologies.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I doubt the soda companies care. They have full confidence that if you quit diet you'll return to the regular stuff in no time.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I doubt the soda companies care. They have full confidence that if you quit diet you'll return to the regular stuff in no time.
    If not, they'll just sell you bottled water.

ETA: Drink at least 8 bottles of water per day!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What a load of BS. I drank no diet drinks before losing weight. I was fat. Now I'm not & drink them..... guess that proved that wrong.

Yeah, for me, drinking 4-5 Cokes a day was a contributing factor. Now I am losing while drinking less than 5 Coke Zero drinks a week. Sorry, but I think it's 700-900 extra calories I was drinking that contributed to my weight gain, since I never drank any "diet drink" before I started my food diary.
  • jayebennett
    Options
    I LOVE the pics and videos!
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    'Diet drinks lead to obesity'

If there is in fact a genuine link between diet drinks and obesity, it can only exist because either people who drink diet drinks tend to take in higher amounts of calories anyway, or somehow, drinking diet drinks leads to increased consumption of calorific foods, making you overeat.

If you count calories and don't overeat, you can't gain weight no matter how many diet drinks you have. Calories lead to obesity.
  • Goal175lbs
    Goal175lbs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry, load of crap. I drink plenty of diet drinks and add equal to my coffee and oatmeal everyday. I've lost 26 pounds in 8 weeks. Stop with the broscience. Diet drinks have no calories and will not, in and of themselves, slow or stop weight loss. It's simply not true.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If not, they'll just sell you bottled water.

ETA: Drink at least 8 bottles of water per day!

That's awesome and the ultimate irony.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    drink all the fizzy sweet artificial *kitten* you guys want to. I'm happy without it.

darn hippies
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Diet root beer. With marshmallow vodka. I dare you to try to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Bring some to my house please! :drinker:
    (never seen marshmallow vodka)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.
    Drinking diet soda for over 25+ years....................in perfect health. And look it too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "The "statement" was an implication that the "lifestyle" (whatever that means; you didn't mention what "lifestyle" you were talking about) will lead to long-term health effects.

If you think that's true, prove it."

I have nothing to prove.

Pretty much par for the course on the internet. People with zero knowledge or expertise feel 100% confident making bold claims about the future and others' health anonymously on the internet, and they completely lack the intellectual honesty to even feel they have any obligation to support their ludicrous claims.

Don't worry. What you do here is a product of the combination of ego, anonymity, and a worldwide audience. It's really not your fault you don't feel the need to support your grandiose claims about the future health of other people with logic or facts; it's just what people do when they can hide behind anonymous usernames and don't actually try to have cohesive thoughts.

BTW, "Carl Sagen" isn't a person. Well, he may be a person, but he's not the person you're thinking of.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I guess that explains how I gained all of the weight. This entire time I thought it was because I was eating 1500+ above my TDEE for a long period of time.:sad:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Maybe psychologists should stick to psychology.

tumblr_mg9p995PHV1qmmz9lo1_500.gif

nothingwrong.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.

This 'argument' is such a silly cop out, it ends any semblance of logical debate or exchange of information. There is literally no rebuttal because herpderp, none of us are magical wizards who can see into the future.

Except of course you. What's that like, btw?

Rude much? It wasn't an "argument" it was a statement herpderp. My point is simple: as someone who has been on this earth a little bit longer than others, all the things you think you know to be true (and on this forum ABSOLUTE), aren't always constant. Your body changes over time. Ask your Mom or Dad, or your Grandparents. And what works for you - including drinking diet soda and eating ice cream everyday, may not always. And for those of you, who have aged perfectly, please spare me (or drank a twelve of diet everyday and are perfectly healthy).

My comment obviously didn't end any semblence of logical debate or exchange of information because this the MFP! Hardly a debate society - which you obviously want to join.

Knowing this, btw, is great. It makes me a better, more understanding, and nicer person. You might want to try that sometime.

You haven't been around much longer than me, and my husband has been around longer than you. BFD
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    <snip>

One more person to add to the list of those with hidden progress and hidden diaries decrying the horrors of chemicals.

Excellent point. I have noticed that around here myself. The people who cry the loudest about "clean eating" and ermagherd "chemicals" are the often the ones with hidden diaries, hidden profiles, and no ticker in their posts.
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Diet root beer. With marshmallow vodka. I dare you to try to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Hhhm delicious!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    They do cause cancer. I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague!!

:huh: Tell me all about how you avoid the plague on a daily basis. :huh:

You can argue that artificial sweeteners are not good for you when overconsumed, and that's probably not an unreasonable belief, but to flat out say that artificial sweeteners cause cancer is completely ridiculous and not based in actual science.

I gave up my beloved Diet Coke because I was drinking way too much of it and wasn't drinking enough water. Now I drink water, green tea and unsweetened iced tea. I am happy with giving up soda, but mostly because I was overconsuming and was drinking it to the exclusion of all other beverages. It didn't make me fat, by any means. Overeating and underexercising made me fat.
This discussion has been closed.