Looking for VLCD friends

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the macro ratio... I mean, how much protein can you actually get out of 850 calories?

you would be surprised. most WLS patients eat a minimum of 60g but many get up to 100g per day.

Wow! I struggle to get 100g a day on 1800 calories. :grumble:

I know right. to be fair, they are basically on the Atkins diet except with lean protein, so it's no wonder they're able to get so much in on 500-800 calories.

eta: also protein shakes. can't forget those at what can be 60g a pop.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I really wish people would only flap their gums when they knew what they were talking about, but hey, freedom of speech and all. <3

Hello pot this is kettle calling...Really? You want to talk about people who don't know what they are talking about??? Really?
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the macro ratio... I mean, how much protein can you actually get out of 850 calories?

The plan has options. It was designed for me to get 70g of protein. I have it stuck in my mind that I need 100g. If I make (what I would consider) the right choices within the program, I can get 100g. I am exercising heavily and strength training and I want to retain/build muscle. I don't know if it will work.
  • DamoniqueW
    DamoniqueW Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    How about good luck and moving on. If you all were such experts, you wouldn't have ended up on MFP in the first place. What works for one may not work for another and if it is supervised by a professional, who are you to judge. If you do not agree, simple move to the next thread. :huh:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Whew!!! NO NO NO - in before the lock after 2 pages already. Yay!!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    How about good luck and moving on. If you all were such experts, you wouldn't have ended up on MFP in the first place. What works for one may not work for another and if it is supervised by a professional, who are you to judge. If you do not agree, simple move to the next thread. :huh:

LOL

are you new here?
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Are you doing some other form of fasting? Intermittent Fasting (IF) does not typically have very low calorie days. ESE, maybe? This is a great resource on IF if you'd like the specifics: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html. :flowerforyou:
    5:2 Fasting. Two days a week you eat under 500, and the other days you eat at your TDEE. Mine is 1700 but I usually go a little over.
    hangry
    You wish, lol. I'm hardly ever hungry.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

The plan has options. It was designed for me to get 70g of protein. I have it stuck in my mind that I need 100g. If I make (what I would consider) the right choices within the program, I can get 100g. I am exercising heavily and strength training and I want to retain/build muscle. I don't know if it will work.

That just boggles my mind. 100g of protein in 850 calories is what in terms of ratio?? 80% protein/10% carbs/10% fat??
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Same as the rest.

What about the 19 year olds that show up here, trying to lose weight fast... they see someone that's eating 500 calories a day, with a ticker that says 100+ lbs lost.

They aren't getting the back story, nor do they care. They see that "oh, 500 calories and 100lbs lost? I could do that for a few months and get really skinny."

That's the issue here, as far as I'm concerned.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    And that's what the VLCD Cult of Silence is like. Even though this person is on a medically prescribed, medically supervised plan, they cannot utter a peep about it because the Starvation Mode Police swoops in and shuts them down.

Makes me sick, really.

You know what makes me sick? Reading your diary...500 calories a day...I guess it really just makes me sad, not sick.
    That's only on Fast Days, imbecile. I'm on IF. On Feed Days I eat 1800.

I scanned your diary when I saw you giving bad advice on another thread. You ate under 500 calories every day except for a day when you consumed 4000 of mostly crappy lite beer. Maybe shh on the advice for you.
    I guess while scanning my diary you missed the obvious, that I don't log Feed Days. I only log Fast Days. I logged that one 4000-calorie day just so I could shame myself about how much I'd eaten/drunk.

I really wish people would only flap their gums when they knew what they were talking about, but hey, freedom of speech and all. <3

Edit: And not one of those beers was a lite beer, BTW, lol. There was Corona, Stella, Guinness, and Natty Ice. Crappy, but not lite.

At 125 Calories, I would posit that Guinness is a light beer.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

That just boggles my mind. 100g of protein in 850 calories is what in terms of ratio?? 80% protein/10% carbs/10% fat??

400/850 = 47% protein

that leaves 25% for fats (23g) and 28% for carbs (61g)... for example.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Hello pot...this is kettle. Really? No one is judging. If everyone were experts then there'd be no MFP. People can offer opinions and suggestions and try to actually steer people from doing possible damage to themselves.

The OP lost all that weight on their own without this. Which great job btw op!!!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    because OTHER PEOPLE that haven't been prescribed this might decide to follow and wind up with some serious problems.

That's a stupid rationale.

And judging from your other posts on here - I suspect that if you sit down and think rationally about this, you'll realize this.

That would be like banning talking about marathons because I might try one and die.

An ED is a mental problem. It is not something you catch from people on the Internet.

lolwut?

People following a 500-800 calorie diet that was given to the OP... but not them... is bad rationale? Please, explain to me how this is bad. I can wait.

It would be stupid to ban talking about something because other random people _might_ make a poor decision.

How is this not clear to you?

The OP actually stated in the VERY first post that this was medically supervised (Henry Ford health system is a large healthcare company).

In what is apparently your world, talking about marathons should be banned because, after Pheidippides, we know that they kill.

Think longer and more carefully - I have faith in you. :flowerforyou:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Henry Ford Medical Center's Protein Power VLCD. It is a high protein, 550 - 850 calorie/day plan of primarily supplemental meals (shakes, bars, soups).

I am looking to add friends doing similar plans. If interesting in sharing this experience, please post here or send me a friend request.

These are not permitted on this site. Expect to see this thread locked very soon.

PSMF can be done healthily...

Agreed
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If it REALLY IS under control of a doctor, then you're actually getting upset about the equivalent of people not just being able to go through your medicine cabinet and just eating every pill they see... since, you know.. a dr. prescribed it.
    That's horsecrap. This person isn't telling other people to go on VLCDs. This situation is more akin to someone not being allowed to talk about the medications they're on, because other people might go and buy those medications on the street without a prescription.

Ridiculous. Cult of silence.

The OP is asking for VLCD "friends" which is a way of looking for support and providing support - a.k.a promoting it.

Having said that, and being someone who has looked a little into the impact of VLCDs, I can see when and why they have a role ns weight loss. Basically, it is a decision by the OP and their doctor and while I certainly would generally recommend against them as choice - if the OP has medical supervision, has tried other routes and is doing things to "try" to preserve muscle mass then why not.

But the general response to push against these type of diets is the right one - they are, generally, a bad idea.

As to talking about medication - there is actually a lot of discussion in the medical community that this does lead to terrible consequences - self-diagnosis, self prescription, and general mis-management of treatment - so you are right, it is akin, but not in the way you think. Whenever someone discusses a drug treatment - the risks of self medication and the consequences can be dire.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

400/850 = 47% protein

Thanks for the maths! :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,084 Member
    Options
    Here's the only thing I read:
    I don't log feed days, I only log fast days.
    Wait.

[edit to delete awesome gif which was perfect.]

uh. wut?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

An ED is a mental problem. It is not something you catch from people on the Internet.

...And where do you think people desperate to lose weight get ED ideas? *headdesk*

No idea, but I bet a fat person can come up with the idea of eating less/nothing with or without our help.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Just a little note......not everyone is here for the same reasons......
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Unless any of you are doctors none of you should be be butting into what someone else's doctor has prescribed for them.
This discussion has been closed.