is this abuse? I think it is!

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Its not abuse, its enabling but he allowed himself to get to that point, we all have choices

OK we will call it `enabling`

If you had a daughter or son or other family member that got to that stage would you `enable`?

Would you seek help from a medically qualified person?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're gonna make a 900 lb man do a damn thing he doesn't want to do
    Exactly.
  • Southern_Belle_LA
    Southern_Belle_LA Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    So I should sue McDonald's for my extra weight? Surely they should say "Max, you don't need that Big Mac"

Right?

^This! and it was attempted and failed and a law was passed to prevent people from suing them for getting fat!

Present this law to me please?

Pelman v. McDonald's Corp. is the lawsuit that started it and you can look up "Cheeseburger Bill" passed Oct. 19, 2005
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    He's a grown man, not a child. He made his choices. You can encourage people and push them and support them all you want, but in the end the choice is theirs. We would never say it was abuse if someone was smoking and no one intervened, even though that can slowly kill you as well. I think that to call this abuse would open up the floodgates and allow people to wrongly place the blame on others for choices that they've made.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

If you had a daughter or son or other family member that got to that stage would you `enable`?

A child under the age of 18, yes I would step in. A grown *kitten* man, who makes up his own mind. No. I could speak to him, make suggestions, but ultimately it's his choice.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It depends on how early this all started...
  • Victory_or_Death
    Victory_or_Death Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We all have our own karma.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's almost like dealing with an addict. He was addicted to food. But I have experienced addicts in my life alcohol and drugs. And as a family we would speak to them about seeking help. But change only happens, when they are ready to change. And if my family member died from a drug overdose, it wouldn't be my fault. Because I tried. It's called accountability.

Right. So if you were buying and giving him the drugs and cleaned him because he could not clean himself due to being to out of it would you then be partially at fault?
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    coming from someone who has worked in the medical field, you cannot FORCE help on a mentally able human being. if they are aware of their choices and decisions and refuse help, that is their decision. no medical person will force themselves upon someone like that, it is called liability.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think those of us who consider it a form of enabling are look at it from the perspective of you have a 900lb man, who I assume is bed bound, he is clearly suffering a severe addiction and most likely was not physically able to get his fix without help.

Someone bought, at 900lbs he wasnt working, and prepared his food and brought it to him.

Someone continued to hand him a loaded gun until his addiction finally succeeded in winning his life.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Its not abuse, its enabling but he allowed himself to get to that point, we all have choices

tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • rxman13
    rxman13 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    HIs choices made him 900 lbs dont try to blame others... unless he is mentally uncaple of knowing his decions
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

And when my daughter or son tells them to leave, they don't want help that medically qualified person would turn and leave. Sorry, but I am agreeing with all those who are saying it is simply enabling. You can push and try and get someone to do something, but in the end if they dont' want it then it won't happen. No matter how hard you try to help.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a better question, if nobody brought him food or cleaned up with him, would that be neglegence? Are members of his household/family obligated to bring crappy foods for him (if that's all he'll voluntarily eat)?

Would you cut him off?
  • overstreetjl
    Options
    Absolutely NOT. It is NOT abuse by any meaning of the word. Since when did it become the responsibility of others to make sure someone stays healthy? That actually makes me mad that someone would even consider it to be abuse in the first place. Every single person out there, including myself, is responsible for their own decisions. I needed to lose weight and finally stopped telling myself I was going to and actually did something about it. No one is here holding my hand, making sure that I don't go over my calories, or making sure that I eat better than I did before...I am.

I'm not trying to insult the poster, but if you seriously think that this guy was abused, because someone didn't make him lose his weight, then I would be scared to imagine what kind of other opinions you harbor toward given situations. That's part of the problem with this country now. Everyone wants to be involved in the business of everyone else, but no one wants to take control of their own lives, and mind their own business.

This guy knew the risks, he did nothing to change them, and he paid the price. I hate it for him and his family, but there is NO ONE on Earth to blame but himself.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Well...MyFitnessPal provides an outlet for idiotic comments...so does that mean they are at fault for the worlds stupidity? I mean...they are totally enabling it.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Let me give you a scenario...OK?

A man/women over 21 year of age has some psychological issues. The said person has an issue with `cutting` themselves. You are a friend/relative do you give them a blade?

Do you try to help them?

Do you just say `hey it is free will` go ahead and cut yourself?
  • rxman13
    rxman13 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

A man/women over 21 year of age has some psychological issues. The said person has an issue with `cutting` themselves. You are a friend/relative do you give them a blade?

Do you try to help them?

NO of course not but that doesnt meant its abuse. The person make his choice you can try to help them or get them help but if they refuse or deny there disease you arent guilty of abuse
  • Sarahndipity30
    Options
    Right, and no matter how much you said " get help" "see this doctor" "stop eating so much" he still said "No". he knew what he was doing and probably knew he did need help. We enable ourselves by eating too much, eating the wrong things and choosing not to excercise. We all do it. We make the CHOICE to change. unless he was proven to be mentally unfit, he did this to himself, and it is no one elses fault but his own. if someone was taking care of him at 900 lbs that is because he allowed himself to get that big in the first place.no one else.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Options
    And at this point, a medical professional would deem this individual mentally unstable and probably keep them locked up for 72 hours. Not even on the same level as eating yourself to 900 lbs.

Do you try to help them?