"Don't lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• rutherng
    Options
    I get a lot of those as well. Specially from people who are used to seeing me on the chubby side. Others thought that I got ill, others thought I went into a drug regimen. But at the end of the day, all of them does not know how good it feels deep inside if you have reached you goal!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Possibly, the people who say "don't lose any more weight" honestly think that you look perfect. You can still lose more weight if that is your goal.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've gotten that as well from a few people lately. One of them, of course, is my mother. I find it annoying, but also can understand that there may be a small amount of underlying jealousy. I've decided to just nod and smile, but ultimately, like another poster said -- "my body, my rules." I do have a goal weight and I hope to get there in the next couple of months. And frankly, it's nobody's business but my own.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think people say things like this when someone becomes smaller than average. Keeping in mind the average American woman is size 12/14 I believe? So when you're larger than what's average and you're losing weight that resonates with people as "good" and they'll encourage you. But when you become smaller than what people are typically seeing then you seem "too small" to them and they'll say things like "ack you're tiny!" not b/c you're smaller than what's healthy for you but b/c you're now outside the "norm." I get remarks on occasion like "you're so small!" at a healthy size 6 only b/c frankly in our society it's just not seen much especially in someone middle aged like me. Just a fact of our society and sadly many others.

ETA: not intended to hate on size 12/14s in any way...been there much of my life!!

I agree with this. Of my core group of friends, two of them have started hounding me about my weight. Granted 8 months ago, I was no different than they were, a good size 12. Considering, I'm not quite 5'4", that was heavy for me. They all encouraged me when I lost the first 10 lbs, but that has changed drastically since I'm down about 30 lbs now. I'm 115 lbs, still within healthy range for my height. Despite that, my friends are constantly telling me I'm "too skinny" "you're going to blow away" "don't lose anymore weight, you're too thin as it is" "you need to eat". One of them even told me she was going to hold me down and force feed me.

Of course they were all shocked when I told them I eat 2000 calories a day including bagels and Poptarts. Then I got the comment about how I must have a fast metabolism, like they've all forgotten that I was exactly where they are 8 months ago.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    "Of course they were all shocked when I told them I eat 2000 calories a day including bagels and Poptarts. Then I got the comment about how I must have a fast metabolism, like they've all forgotten that I was exactly where they are 8 months ago."

Very good observation! I've delt with the criticism of losing too much weight as well. The truth is, people have forgotten what slim and fit looks like in this day and age of the obesity epidemic. I too have been accused of being anorexic, and it was very hurtful, because I actually wondered if I was. TWISTED! :noway:
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at first but people eventually get used to how you look. I used to get the "Are you alright?" making sure I was not losing weight because of illness. I still have a problem with people commenting on the food I eat when I indulge or just commenting on some of my healthier choices. It :smile does get better. :smile:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Why do people think its okay to say this? People would never have turned and said to me "please don't gain any more weight" but the number of friends, family members and patients that say "please dont lose any more weight" to me is astonishing! I'm not even skinny!! I'm a nice healthy 142-145 at 5'4 and at the top end of a 'healthy BMI'. I dunno.....it just annoys me! Anybody else encountering this or criticisms for losing?!

Yep! I have 19 pounds to hit my goal and I'm getting this. Some people have even said it to me with a worried look LOL!!!! I am NO WHERE near skinny or frail looking, oh my word. It's ridiculous. I don't even get upset, I just laugh because it is SO RIDICULOUS. I'm currently fluctuating between 149-151 and my goal weight is 130. I'm pretty thick and solid, and I still will be nice and solid at my goal weight. 130 in right in the middle of the BMI for my height (5'6) so I actually could go even lower and be ok.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've heard it from a few people now, and it started when I had lost 15 lbs. Um.... Yeah, about that... I'm going to do what makes me happy, not what makes other people happy.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was called a "beanpole" the other day and was told I'm too skinny.

Made me smile and didn't offend me at all.
    I like how I look now and know what it took to get here, and never in my life have I been called a benapole!

Hopefully I'll never again be referred to as the "big girl".

Guess I'm a glass half full person...
  • shedthespread
    Options
    i have had a few comments like that myself when i went to WW, i found it best to ignore otherwise id could be either upset or really *****y depending on my mood...

my instagram: shredthespread
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I hear this all the time at work too. Mostly from someone who's supposed to gain weight. It took me over a year to lose 50 pounds. I'm still heavy, but looking and feeling much better than I did 50 pounds ago! I'm just about to my goal. Let's face it, I lost 25 pounds before I had to say something, because nobody noticed.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to take the tack: "OK I won't if you won't gain any more either!" next time. OK not really but man would it be satisfying :laugh:

HAHAHAAH! this!

my family and friends and my husbands family ARE CONSTANTLY saying this to me. I believe i was obese for so long they simply are just not used to me being the way i am now. Although i have maintained my goal weight for over a year and now i am focusing on simply toning and keeping with my workouts and healthy meal plans comments are often made like "why do you continue to do this? you lost the weight already. what more do you want"

I just take it all as majority of these ppl who say these things are not really familiar with "healthy". my family as well as my husbands family dont know the first thing about what it means to be healthy and to change your lifestyle in order to take on a healthier way of living. At this point i brush it off the best i can.
  • IvanyMerk2012
    Options
    i am used to people telling me im way too thin or skinnny or people telling me not to loose anymore weight its annoying but im totally used to it now it doesnt bother me
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I did not "lose" it. I got rid of it deliberately because it was unhealthy and unsightly, and I feel 10 years younger. Do you have a problem with that?

That's usually my reply, and I smile sweetly as I say it!

Got to say though, my mom went on a diet once, well many times actually, but one time she really did over do it, and I had to ask her to stop.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    The only people who say this to me are my MIL and my grandma. My MIL is, well, the stereotypical MIL. I ignore her. Grandma is 93. She can say whatever she wants and I don't listen. It dawned on me at Thanksgiving that it's because my aunt desperately needs to lose and grandma thinks my weight loss makes my aunt feel bad. (At Thanksgiving, the aunt asked me what I'm doing and I told her about MFP. It's up to her if she uses it. I think she wants to see if I can keep it off first.)
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My mates say this to me.. but then i dont think my mates are really into the whole fitness lifestyle. so i just keep their comments out of my ears and do what i believe is good for me. i think many people are just jealous of the progress and try to take us back.. everybody has a brain in the end. i dunno... but i hate comments like this...
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    This is the best answer/reason:

"People with normal BMIs are abnormal in today's society. It's almost unusual to see someone who is a healthy weight"
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've heard this is a cultural issue (in the US) because we are so used to seeing people overweight. Someone at a normal, healthy weight may appear as "too skinny" to others.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is the best answer/reason:

"People with normal BMIs are abnormal in today's society. It's almost unusual to see someone who is a healthy weight"
    Could it be that this is something which applies in the US? Where I live in Europe many people are within a healthy BMI range although obesity is on the rise

Still even I have heard the comment "You don't need to loose anymore". It was from a colleague and I think it was more about her than me. She tried to exercise too and loose a couple of pounds but didn't pull through. I also asked my bf if he thinks I am too thin and he said no not a problem yet. I trust him more because he sees me naked :laugh:
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Although I have yet to hear this I think a lot depends on the tone of the words. I think I would take it as a compliment but if it said over and over by the same individual the reaction might change.