Family friendly ideas for chicken breasts

Options

Replies

• sanrog
    Options
    Gotta try some of these - they look goooooooood!
  • happy115
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Squash-I/Detail.aspx and add chicken instead. Low calories. Is awesome w/out the chicken though!
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I make something similar to lettym62.

I spray a baking pan with Pam and bake chicken breasts (thighs work also). about 10 - 15 minutes before it is finished cooking I pour salsa over the chicken and return to the oven until finished. I steam up a veggie and if I decide to make rice I use the extra salsa from the pan to top the rice. It is an easy meal and everyone loves it.
  • mandykrenz
    mandykrenz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I simmer chicken breasts in white cooking wine and season with lemon pepper.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    bump...love me some chicky
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Low Fat Chicken Enchiladas

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees

1 can 98% fat free Cream of Chicken soup
    1 can 98% fat free cream of Mushroom soup
    1/2 cup fat free sour cream
    appx. 4 chicken breasts(baked and cubed)
    1/2 to 3/4 cup skim milk
    fat free tortillas(soft taco size)

Mix all these things together in a medium sauce pan until you get the right consistency you like and it is heated throughout. I use more or less milk to get a creamy consistency that will stay inside tortillas good.

Spray casserole pan with non fat non stick cooking spray.

Spoon mixture into fat free tortillas and roll into enchiladas and place in casserole dish, lining them up to fill the pan. (Save some of the mixture to pour over top of them)

Bake for about 20 min.

You can top with shredded cheese if you would like, but of course that would be more calories.

Yields about 7-8 enchiladas.
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Sometimes we eat stuffed chicken breasts for supper.. super YUMMY! For the stuffing, mix all... fat free cream cheese, a little shredded cheese, a little taco seasoning, some salsa. Then butterfly the chicken breasts and stuff them (wrap them around the stuffing and hold chicken in place with a toothpick. Lay the chicken in a pan and pour some more salsa over top of them. Then bake until chicken is done... soooo yummy. Or you can go with Italian themes, and use the cream cheese with italian seasoning and shredded mozzarella, and a little marinara sauce mixed in and then put a little marinara sauce over the chicken to bake. Or you could go Asian, and add curry, etc... so many different options with this! And all soooo yummy!
  • mookiemoo
    mookiemoo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This one is great for the entire family - my 5 year old even LOVES it!

Potato Flake Chicken

Basically you take a thawed out chicken breast, spray it with cooking spray and roll it around and coat it with instant potato flakes (I used 1 packet of Idahoan Garlic Potato, you can easily coat at least 4 chicken breast with 1 packet) Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20-25 min and YUMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! They were so good. Not very fattening at all!!! Make sure you spray the top of the chicken after you coat them with a little more cooking spray (I used Pam Olive Oil spray) so the top gets all golden and crunchy. I made a couple adjustments from the recipe, like using garlic potato flakes and took the recommendation of one of the reviewers and used olive oil cooking spray instead of butter, but it turned out great. Anyway it has been a big hit in our houseso I am sharing the recipe. My 5 year old had seconds! We made it with some green beans and rice. Yum. You have to try it!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=505683

that sounds fab and so much better than the choices in the freezer isle for that sort of thing
  • mookiemoo
    mookiemoo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Last nights dinner

2 chicken breast pounded thin

Stuff each chicken breast with cooked spinach, roasted red pepper strips and one ounce of goat cheese.

Coat with bread crumbs and bake

oooh yum, I wonder if I could coat with the flakes in place of the breadcrumbs
  • lindzbindz
    Options
    bump
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Herbed Chicken Nuggets
    Makes 4 servings
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 309 | Total Fat: 9.7g | Cholesterol: 174mg

Ingredients
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tablespoon water
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup dried bread crumbs, seasoned
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 tbsp oil

Directions
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
    Trim any fat from chicken and cut into 1 inch cubes.
    In a bowl beat the eggs with the water and add the chicken.
    Combine the parsley, thyme, red pepper, bread crumbs, wheat germ, basil and ground pepper. Stir in the oil with a fork and mix well to distribute evenly. Pour seasoning mixture into a resealable plastic bag and the chicken pieces to coat.
    Place coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes, turn the pieces and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

****Obviously using cooking spray instead of the oil with make these even healthier!****

Apple Chicken Quesadilla Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    4 Flour tortillas (approximately 8-inches wide)
    1 cup cooked, shredded or chopped, chicken meat
    1/4 lb cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, sliced or grated
    1 apple, sliced
    1/4 cup salsa

1 Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Place one tortilla in the skillet. Flip it a couple of times with a spatula, then let it sit in the pan heating up until air pockets form and parts of the tortilla begin to puff up. Flip it again.

2 Place cheese slices on half of the tortilla, at least 1/2-inch from the edge of the tortilla. Add chicken pieces on top of the cheese. Fold the tortilla over like an omelette, and press down on the folded tortilla with the spatula. Lower the heat to medium. At this point, if you have enough room in your skillet, you can add a second tortilla to the pan to begin to heat it up.

3 When the cheese inside the quesadilla has melted, remove the quesadilla to a cutting board. Open it wide and layer on apple slices and salsa. Fold the tortilla back again, and cut it into 3 triangles, as if you were cutting a pie. (You don't have to cut the quesadilla into triangles, it just makes it easier for kids to eat.)
    4 Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
    Makes 12 quesadilla triangles.
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/apple_chicken_quesadilla/
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    Go on allrecipes.com they have TONS of recipes also the Kraft's Cooking website has LOTS as well
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    EASY and QUICK!
    Marinate chicken in Italian dressing for at least 20 minutes (overnight is best) and grill. I use the foreman grill in the winter.

OR- pour olive oil on chicken and sprinkle with italian seasoning then grill. Both easy, quick and yummy!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I throw chicken breasts in the crock pot and cover them with salsa. Let it cook all day. Then shred the chicken and make tacos with them however you would like. The family loves them!!
  • beerwidow
    beerwidow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Chicken & Corn Enchiladas w/ Verde sauce

These are just guidelines - tweak and add/subtract to your own taste. The corn is quite tasty in these and it is a great use for left-over rotisserie or other cooked chicken:

Heat ~ 1tsp- 1Tbst oil (depending on pan, less for a non-stick)
    Sautee on med-med hi heat the following: corn kernels (I used fresh off the cob), onion, mushrooms, with a sprinkle of salt
    When veg are soft, add chopped zucchini, chopped garlic (1-2 cloves), 1 can chopped green chiles and ~1tsp ground cumin, black pepper, additional salt to taste. Cook for just an additional few minutes until zucchini just starts to soften.
    Add chopped cooked chicken (a lot or a little, again to taste) and ~ 1/8 - 1/4 cup chicken broth - this deglazes the pan and helps keep the chicken moist.
    Use the above filling in thin corn tortillas (softened with a little bit of water & a few seconds in the microwave).
    Put filled tortillas in a pan, top with Trader Joe's verde salsa (1 jar for a 9x9 square pan).
    Sprinkle on some cotija cheese or cheddar cheese.
    Warm in a 325 degree oven for 20-30 minutes and enjoy.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    I take boneless skinless thin chicken breasts, poke them a bit with a fork, season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and a bit of rosemary. I put the chicken in a ziploc bag with olive oil and white wine, and i let it marinate a few hours, then I pan sear them in a bit of olive oil. when they are just about done, i shred just a teeny bit of asiago or parmesan cheese over the top, and serve with some dreamfields pasta and broccoli, or you can serve with rice, quinoa, or potatoes!

another thing you can do is make chicken cheese steaks! cook the chicken, slice it thin, and top with cooked onions and peppers, mushrooms, cheese and serve on a roll (or flatbread or a wrap!)

enjoy!
  • nataliew834
    Options
    I LOVE grilling chicken

sometimes i marinate it with Kraft fat free italian dressing and put some garlic on top. So good when it gets a little blackened from the grill

-also throwing veggies on the grill (just throw down some tin-foil and kinda wrap it up) is good like yellow, red , and green peppers with onions, and maybe some corn IS so yummy just put less than a serving of butter and a dash of seasoned salt. or if you like corn on the cob just put some smart balance butter on some and dash some salt and pepper on them. wrap it in tin foil and throw it on the grill with the chicken. Since it has a little more sodium then i like i cut mine in half and serve them that way.

-if you really are craving some bread get sister schuberts wheat rolls (in freezer section). they're a lesser evil of the roll and bread family. I usually just have one but when i go home my dad insists on having some type of bread with dinner so i just trick him into eating healthy!

enjoy!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    These are our fave- sweet, spicy, and crunchy!

http://momvsfood.blogspot.com/2011/01/baked-coconut-chicken-tenders.html
  • grumpyswife123
    Options
    bump
  • Grits18
    Grits18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
    2 packs dry ranch dressing mix

Place chicken & ranch mix in a ziploc back. Toss to coat.

Bake for 45 minutes (or until done) @ 415.

Very Yummy!!!

My husband doesn't really care for chicken too much but he loves this!!