Replies

• redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Soda is yummy. It's not evil and neither is bacon. :drinker:
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about controlling your calorie intake then why would you waste nutrient calories on sugar water when there are plenty of diet sodas that taste fine? From a weight control and tooth decay perspective--regular soda is evil incarnate.

My thoughts exactly!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Soda is not evil. Just know what you are getting into when you consume a soft drink. The regular kind can have more sugar per serving than many desserts and has no nutritional value. At least ice cream has nutrients that are healthful, even if it is high in calories.

Diet soda has been shown to slow metabolism and increase appetite, so even the calorie free soda can undo your weight loss efforts.

Then there is the bloat factor. All soda is high in sodium, which will cause you to retain water.

Some sodas are high in caffeine. This can cause problems for some people who are sensitive. It could disrupt sleep, and sleep is important when losing weight. People who are sleep deprived experience increased appetite.

Personally, I love the carbonation. I buy unflavored carbonated water (zero calories) and add a squeeze of lemon or lime for some extra zing. (it's also good with a shot of whiskey :devil: )
    I have never seen a study that shows diet soda slowing metabolism. Soda is also ridiculously low in sodium, not high. It has roughly the same level of sodium as regular drinking water. I'm looking at a can of soda right now, 40mg of soda for the entire can, which is roughly 0.02 teaspoons of salt. Not exactly my definition of "high," especially when it's diluted in 12 oz of water.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I cannot live a life without carbonation. Everyone is always talking about how horrible soda is, my mom won't even buy it. But do you really have to stop drinking soda to be healthy? Is it really that bad? One can a day might be bad, how about once a week at most? Also have any of you ever mixed sprite with fruit juice? It creates the most amazing drink.

I guess I'm asking is if you can have a healthy diet while enjoying soda. I would never drink it every day, like I said once a week at the very very most which happens pretty much never. I recently got some cans of soda and I feel horrible drinking them... can soda stay in a healthy diet when it's used as an occasional treat? As you can see in my picture I am thin, but it's what people call "skinny fat", do I have no hope to become "skinny healthy" if I drink soda?

Either tell me it's ok or try to convince me to stop drinking it with facts about how horrible it is. (please tell me it's ok I love soda)

It is perfectly fine as part of a healthy, nutrient rich diet that meets your caloric needs. For many people, occasional treats are an important part of life and don't hinder their health and fitness goals. It's OK to love it in reasonable quantities.

If you want to get a more "skinny healthy" look, I would suggest looking into weightlifting rather than worrying about a few sodas a week.

Good luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Then there is the bloat factor. All soda is high in sodium, which will cause you to retain water.

And now for some FACTS.

40 mg of sodium in my coke zero.

I'm allowed 2000 mg in a day.

I think the sodium levels are ok, hmmmmm?
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Soda is not evil. Just know what you are getting into when you consume a soft drink. The regular kind can have more sugar per serving than many desserts and has no nutritional value. At least ice cream has nutrients that are healthful, even if it is high in calories.

Diet soda has been shown to slow metabolism and increase appetite, so even the calorie free soda can undo your weight loss efforts.

Some sodas are high in caffeine. This can cause problems for some people who are sensitive. It could disrupt sleep, and sleep is important when losing weight. People who are sleep deprived experience increased appetite.

Personally, I love the carbonation. I buy unflavored carbonated water (zero calories) and add a squeeze of lemon or lime for some extra zing. (it's also good with a shot of whiskey :devil: )
    I have never seen a study that shows diet soda slowing metabolism. Soda is also ridiculously low in sodium, not high. It has roughly the same level of sodium as regular drinking water. I'm looking at a can of soda right now, 40mg of soda for the entire can, which is roughly 0.02 teaspoons of salt. Not exactly my definition of "high," especially when it's diluted in 12 oz of water.

Exactly....drink what you want and everything in moderation
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Soda is expensive fizzy water, at best. At worst, a source of calories without the benefit of satiety.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    The "problem" with soda is the phosphates, not only are they not good/healthy for the body how they are processed is horribly bad for the workers and the environment...I worked at our local phosphate plant at one time, this is how I know.

I do, however, drink them on occasion myself. and do not consider them 'evil' at all.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's easier just not to drink it than to debate about it haha
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sometimes:

3256254883_76075b0e0d.jpg
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for me was when I cut way back on diet soda. I used to drink a lot, and it's my belief it was messing with my appetite. I stopped completely, and there was an overnight change. Now I only drink it with meals and just a small glass. I know this can be contentious, so I'm just sharing my own experience.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Look diet soda sales are down , the tide is going out on them
    nbc news this Aug/2013

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/amid-falling-sales-coke-launches-campaign-defend-sweetener-6C10920355

to countert the falling sales Coke is launching a ad campaign. to defend its artificial sweetner.

Personally I don't think it will do much good , In my opinion I believe the tide has turned against diet sodas.

In the Meanwhile if I was looking to drink Vitamin Water the Center for Science in the Public Interest is challenging the wording of the health benefits of the product.
    http://www.cspinet.org/new/201307182.html

The V water by the way has lots of sugar.
    True that all soda revenue is down. Consequently, ENERGY DRINK sales are up. Generation trends are changing.

But soda still isn't evil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I cannot live a life without carbonation.

I suspect it’s not the carbonation you’re after, but instead the sugar and caffeine. Both impact the body in different ways. As to the denial from those who have posted that artificial sweeteners are harmless (not sure how germane it is to your original question), just not true. Aspertame in particular has some nasty side effects, especially when combined with caffeine. Google the two together and you’ll find lots of legitimate research on this topic…here’s one to get you started:

http://www.drnorthrup.com/blog/tag/stevia

Aspartame is probably the worst offender, especially when combined with caffeine in diet cola products. Aspartame is a known excitotoxin that causes brain cells to get over stimulated and then die—a process that is made much worse with caffeine. This is one of the reasons why so many women are addicted to diet colas. They give you a “buzz” that you can’t get anywhere else. And it can be a very hard habit to break—especially for those who believe that drinking diet drinks will help them lose weight.
    Christiane Northrup, M.D.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Well, soda is, nutritionally speaking, useless. It's not good for you, but having it in moderation isn't going to kill you or make you unhealthy-- especially not if you are only planning on having it once a week and have a good overall diet. If you want to cut on calories, drink the diet version instead. Sprite Zero tastes exactly like regular Sprite.
    Soda is 99% water. So according to you, that makes water, nutritionally speaking, useless. Which technically, it is. Yes it hydrates, but soda hydrates equally well, as well as food, making water functionally unnecessary.

Who needs water? It's nutritionally useless so we should all just forget about it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I cannot live a life without carbonation.

I suspect it’s not the carbonation you’re after, but instead the sugar and caffeine. Both impact the body in different ways. As to the denial from those who have posted that artificial sweeteners are harmless (not sure how germane it is to your original question), just not true. Aspertame in particular has some nasty side effects, especially when combined with caffeine. Google the two together and you’ll find lots of legitimate research on this topic…here’s one to get you started:

http://www.drnorthrup.com/blog/tag/stevia

Aspartame is probably the worst offender, especially when combined with caffeine in diet cola products. Aspartame is a known excitotoxin that causes brain cells to get over stimulated and then die—a process that is made much worse with caffeine. This is one of the reasons why so many women are addicted to diet colas. They give you a “buzz” that you can’t get anywhere else. And it can be a very hard habit to break—especially for those who believe that drinking diet drinks will help them lose weight.
    Christiane Northrup, M.D.

I'll see your blog without references and raise you this blog with references.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Soda equals empty calories and unhealthy ingredients in it. I'd rather save those calories for something filling and healthier.
    It’s not evil but it’s not the best choice, either.:drinker:
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I note that your references include additional warnings about aspartame...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    very evil
  • missbliss25
    Options
    Studies have shown that drinking excessive amounts of soda does lead to bone loss, and there have been movements to take caramel coloring out of sodas due to health speculation, which companies still have yet to do.

The high fructose corn syrup and chemicals in both diet and regular drinks isn't good for you, but then again, those same ingredients are in a lot of surprising foods.

If you want to cut out the "bad part" of soda, maybe try carbonated water that you flavor with lemon or lime juice, even a little bit of pure can sugar? The carbonation itself does nothing harmful to you, but the additives do unfortunately :/
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have not been a diet soda user. It makes me ill, physically ill I get horrible headaches from it.
    So obviously it is the additives , more than likely the aspartame.

I know it is not the carbonated water because I have used that with my various fresh juices and I do not have headaches.
    I prefer adding my own ingredients to my homemade sodas of carbonated soda water plus whateve fresh made juice. I am in control of how much fresh made juice will added thus controlling the level of sweetness and calories.