• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

Weight loss is not linear .

So true. You'll get there :)
  • MsLindaH
    MsLindaH Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. Lost quick and easy at first, then it was at least 2 weeks of the ' up and down but not below my lowest' But the 3rd week the scale moved again. I acutally was eating far less than my calorie goal during those couple of weeks trying to get the scale to move,, When I started eating close to the goal, it came off. I know there is controversy about the 'starvation' mode.. but it sure looked like that is what happened. My goal is set to lose 2 pounds a week. I surpassed it those first couple of weeks, and with were I am now, it averages out to be about 2 pounds a week. I still see a lot of up and down.
    So hang in there. It will happen. :-)
    (I try NOT to eat back all the calories I earn through exercise)
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 3 months to lose 12lbs. I'm honestly impressed. :) Keep at it, make sure you weigh/measure everything, and just stick with it. Your body eventually will adjust and things will start to change.

Also, buy a tape measure. Don't trust the scale, trust the measurements. If you ask most people around here, they'll tell you the scale is a liar!
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree that MFP calorie burns can be greatly overestimated. I do 45-60 minutes on the elliptical at the gym - the elliptical tells me I burn 400-700 calories as does MFP but my HRM is telling me closer to 200-350. I log the lowest number which is from the HRM then I still don't eat back ALL my calories.
    Also if you are going to eat back any calories you want to mark your diary as sedentary - if you set it at active because you workout then MFP is already calculating in your burns and you end up double counting them. At 5'6" With my diary set to sedentary MFP tells me I only need 1700 calories to maintain my weight so cutting down 100 calories a day (1600) would only be 700 calories a week - it would then take 5 weeks to lose 1lb.

And Yes Log EVERYTHING - EVERYDAY. Small calories add up in a big way, omitting just 50 calories per day would lead to an extra 350 calories per week. Think about this if you are overestimating burn and necessary calories to leave a deficit of only 700 calories a week then underestimating intake by 350 calories a week - your deficit is now only 350 calories a week in which case it would take 10 weeks to lose 1lb.

If your unsure you should always overestimate intake and underestimate burn.

Remember before switching up too much give your body a couple of weeks to adjust. Just because you aren't seeing immediate or even weekly results doesn't mean your body isn't changing. I also go a week or so with no apparent loss then suddenly the scale is down 2-4 lbs. So the loss isn't an exact science.
  • DannyPeligro
    DannyPeligro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    do you actually weigh your food????with a scale???

As well I see a lot of big calorie burns like 1000 where is that coming from??? HRM??? MFP Database?

And you calorie goal is 1210???? eek how much do you want to lose??? and how fast????

Hey Stephanie - I'm usually around 1600. When I go to the gym I do 45 mins on the elliptical and an hour of yoga. MFP database calculates the burn.

I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a combat sport that is fairly strenuous. I once plugged in an hour of BJJ into my tracker and it gave some ridiculous calorie burn like 1000 cals or something. There is absolutely no way that could be true unless I was fighting for my life with some monster for the whole hour, so I no longer log BJJ sessions.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Started all this on 8-5. Literally dropped 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks - I'm sure a lot of water. Here it is 9-5 and the scale has not moved in over 2 solid weeks. In fact, I go up 1 and down 1 over and over and over. I'm exercising like a lunatic, drinking more than my fair share of water, and making super food choices and staying within the 1260-1600 calorie range. I'm 5'3", 39 and started at 259 lbs. Isn't it supposed to come off easier in the beginning? It used to. I'm not quitting - just ticked. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment. Go ahead, give it to me, I can take it...

First, I want to say thank you for posting this. I don't think youre a whiny B at all. I feel the same way sometimes. I watch some people, lose so quickly. Like nearly a pound a day for the last month, and I lost like 7 pounds almost immediately and then water weight, wait a few days for that to drift away, then a little loss, little loss, water weight again >_< And more days waiting for that to go away. Little losses and then TOM, bloated ~again~. But, the whole time, staying with the calories goals, (lightly active) TDEE - 20%, logging everything, pre-planning meals, and exercising even when I don't really feel like it.

I think some of us just lose slower. Even when we have a lot to lose, it doesn't just melt off like it does for some.

*hugs* Just hang in there and don't give up.
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    You could just be stagnating for a while. That happens a lot. You lose a fair amount of weight and then don't see any changes for a while. I would suggest changing up your workout routines. Even if you are doing more reps, your body can get used to doing certain workouts. Trying a different routine or modifying your existing ones so they are harder might help. It also doesn't hurt to be a little anal about the calories you count. Taking in consideration not just the food, but how it is prepared, what other ingredients are included in your meal, portion size, etc. can make a difference.

Patience is always helpful, for me at least. Know that you WILL reach your goal eventually; it will just take time. I do mini goals so I keep up my motivation up. Instead of focusing on my ultimate goal of losing 27 pounds, right now I am just working on losing 3. When I reach that goal, I will work on losing another 3, and so on. It is less daunting to focus on losing a minimal amount of weight at a time. Before you know it, all those pounds add up and you've reached your goal!

Acceptance is another thing that I find helpful. Accept your CURRENT weight, no matter what it is. It is okay to have a goal and work towards it, but if you are just focusing on the size you WANT to be and are lamenting over the size you currently ARE, that could make it easier to become discouraged and lead to you wanting to give up. Nevermind what anyone else says. What you weigh right now IS acceptable. Amazing even. And you will be even more amazing when you when you achieve your goal.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm gong to second several things others have said:
    -make sure you're logging your food every day, even weekends. If you're out and about on weekends, eating things you didn't prepare, look through the database and make the best possible guess. Mom & Pop restaurants usually don't have nutritional information but you could pull something from a chain that's similar. Yeah, not as accurate, but it'll be better than making something up or not logging.

-I think you need to up your calories. I started with similar stats: 5'4", 249, 34 yo and found that netting 1200-1300 was too low,and this was before I started exercising heavily. I upped my calories by netting 1600 per day. I do a combo of -20% and eating back exercise calories. I used the BMR calculator at fat2fitradio.com and found my TDEE for sedentary. I took 20% from that and add back my exercise calories based on my HRM. For me this is the best because my exercise burn ranges from 250-450 depnding on the workout and there are weeks where I dont get my normal 5 days in.

-Make sure you're weighing yourself consistantly. Our weight can fluctuate a lot during the day so if you weigh in the AM one week and in the PM the next, any weight loss could be masked by the normal daily fluctuation. For me I weigh Saturday AM after I've woken up, used the toilet and stripped down.

-The scale can be the devil and sould only be one tool used to judge progress. Also incorporate tape measuring, and overall observations of how you're feeling and how you're clothes are fitting, and changes in pictures. There was one week where I gained over a pound but the jeans that were a touch tight the week before fit perfectly the day I logged my gain. Also, high sodium meals/water rention, your menstrual cycle, when you last ate in relation to when you weigh, will all mask fat loss.

For any changes you make, give yourself 2-3 weeks to see progress before making other changes. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What you're supposed to do, it's easy

1) set a reasonable goal, using MFP's 'lose 1lb a week' setting. It's not a race.
    2) log your food
    3) weigh everything before you log it
    4) find a good estimate of your calorie burns. Yoga probably doesn't count at all, elliptical I would get a HRM but if you can't, count 75% of what the machine tells you or something
    5) eat back the calories from exercise that you log.

This works. The only reason people plateau and don't lose weight is because they don't log properly.

In your case, your goal is too low, you're not logging your food, it's just not going to work.
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    took a look at your diary, on the days that you log, your sodium is always very very high. Sodium makes human body contain water, so it might be water weight you are holding? Just a personal input.

^This.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It could be as simply as getting a funky reading on your scale in those first two weeks.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    There is no way 45 minutes of elliptical and 45 minutes of yoga is burning 1000 calories.

It takes me 2 1/2 hours of HARD bike riding to hit over 700
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    I had some similar type issues 5'4 at the time 277 lbs. I went to my Dr. because I am on prednisone (which is a true weight killer). He told me 50% carbs 50% protein and 1200 calories a day. This is not something I would have done on my own (1200 calories sounds anorexic to me; I was just trying to lose a pound or less a week). Worked like a charm, I have no idea if it was the 50-50 or the 1200. But I will see him in three months, he is a general practitioner who usually just tracks my thyroid, allergies, and hives.

It might be worthwhile to get the whole picture health checkup and see what your Dr. has to say. Good luck and good times to you my friend. Also, PMS and Sharkweek I get fluctuations - so that can kinda make it hard to track as well.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    lolwut?

Which part would you like clarification on?

It's too much of a broscience ****storm to even begin!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing to burn 750-1000 cals??? For me that is 1.5-2 hrs of continuous running 9-10 min/mile pace. I'm thinking you are overestimating exercise burns and eating too much of it back.

45 mins of elliptical and 60 mins yoga. MFP gives me the calories.

It's very likely that MFP is overestimating your calorie burns. For a 45-minute elliptical exercise to burn about 480 calories you need to move pretty vigorously. I'd say don't eat back more than three quarters of your exercise calories if you use MFP calculation.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You know what else I love about the TDEE method...I don't have to worry about how many calories burned. I log it on here so I can track my exercise but I log it as 1 calorie.
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Persistence pays off! Keep at it and the scale will catch up. Actually, disregard that scale and start taking your measurements. Take a picture today and another one 30 days from now and then compare them. Even though the scale might not be budging, are your clothes fitting better, does your body feel tighter? Sounds like you are doing all the right things, so just keep on truckin'!
  • EsqDreams
    EsqDreams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw that another person posted a comment about your sodium intake. My body hates sodium and sugar and I have to exclude both to see any weight loss. I also ride my bicycle for fitness. If I allow myself a treat of a couple of cookies at any one time during a week, my weight loss for that week will be either the same or I will gain weight. My body is fighting me to stay fat!! Seriously. I also had to stop taking a prescription contraceptive.

I hope this helps.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    lolwut?

LOL! No, it's not. It is a bit over-simplified in the carb, protein, fat paragraph. Go google some medical journals and inform yourself.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    lolwut?

Don't be a poopie-head! :huh: