Christmas is coming up in a few months...

12346»

Replies

• KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Increase my exercise and enjoy...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    well. I eat reasonable amount of food, being sure to get a taste of my favorite treats. For thanksgiving, I will usually eat a little more than usual as my carb load for my annual half marathon, which is usually Nov. 30th or Dec. 1st.

I love baking. It's one of my favorite hobbies. All year round I make amazing desserts and fit them into my calories, so I don't see the problem.

Xmas... it's not an "eating" holiday for me. Every year, I go meet my mom someplace where neither of us live. We have a winter vacation with my son. I always work out on these vacations because most of the places we stay are beautiful for running and have excellent gyms. I eat in my calorie goals, but mostly we enjoy each other's company, share presents, play with my son, play in the snow or walk around whatever place we are in!
  • I tougth myself that I do not have to eat a lot to enjoy holidays. I also taught myself that good food taste just as good in small portions as in huge portions.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    On Christmas I plan to put the MFP app down, say "screw logging" and eat it. Just eat it. C'mon people, it's Christmas! ... in a few months.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Why not put your focus into the other 363 days of the year?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    I cant do much overeating anymore...my stomach isn't used to it. I do allow myself a chance to splurge a bit, though. I seem to maintain, which is fine for me. :)
  • WenHurley
    WenHurley Posts: 166 Member
    Don't overload the plate. Wait before getting 2nds to see if I'm really hungry or just want it for the taste. Desserts are extremely small portions. And throw in lots of walking and housework. I do all of the cooking for my family. I make just about everything from scratch so I know that there are fresh ingredients in everything and I control what's going in all of it.
  • badsland
    badsland Posts: 2 Member
    Wow - to the person who responded to the family members who say Diet Tomorrow - that is what got me here. That is a great response!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I eat.

I think I ended up about 4 pounds after Christmas last year, but my sanity was still intact. I want to enjoy myself over the holidays, not stress about trying to fit a cookie or piece of pie into my day.
  • I like to do a hardcore workout first thing in the morning, then I eat for "maintainence". It's good incentive to workout hard, and I still feel like I splurged even though I didn't overeat. It works for me! :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Eat what I want for Thanksgiving & Christmas & watch myself the other days.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    eat-all-the-things.jpg
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    well I think a bit too early myself to start thinking about it, but I cook the epic family/fiends all day-all you can stuff into yourself buffet for thanksgiving, with lots of bacon fat and cheese.

I limit my portions, as I want a bite of EVERTHING! but since I normally cook and prep for 2 days (along with the deep house cleaning, (mother is allergic to my cats) and I KNOW some people don't count house cleaning, but you lug 7 loads of curtains and crap up and down 3 flight's of stairs, it can be quite a workout, let alone lugging all the tables and chairs and crap out of the basement for 2 days and rearranging all the furniture?)

so I eat what I want, tends to be a carb load, but I make a mean stuffing! and I only get it once a year, so I am going to enjoy it! let alone the potatoes with bacon, onions, garlic, with about a gazillion pounds of cheese?

it is only a couple of days out of the year, and as others have said, worry more about what happens between new years and thanksgiving than what happens between thanksgiving and new years?

and yes, eat all the foods, and wash it down with copious amounts of wine! :) don't stress about it, only a few days, and if you stick with your plan, it all falls off the scale by the end of January anyways?

and NO, I am not going to deny myself yummer items that only come around once a year? and I don't cook lowfat or anything, just a waste IMO?

:drinker:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    To those who have been on myfitnesspal for some time, what do you guys do around Christmas and Thanksgiving time to avoid over eating?

i personally use that time to enjoy the foods that are on the dinner table. one day even if i splurged and ate till i was stuffed wont hurt in the big picture. I would take some of the things i wanted the most and not waste time with something that was just blah. And i would eat it, and enjoy it and not feel guilty. coz how can you enjoy a splurge if your feeling guilty while splurging? but it probably wouldn't really hurt my goals because it would all even out the rest of the week as i return to my usual food :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I tried the mashed cauliflower thing one year. Did not go over. :frown: Contrary to what the Biggest Loser Cookbook says,:laugh: it does NOT taste anything like mashed potatoes.

Agree!! Although I do like mashed cauliflower w/ mushroom gravy when I'm running low on calories. It doesn't taste like potatoes, but it is a tasty side dish.

However, if you mix 1/2 potatoes and 1/2 cauliflower the potato taste overpowers the cauliflower so that most people don't notice. It's a good trick if you are looking to lower the calorie or carb count. Turnips work pretty well too.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    This year I am planning to enjoy myself as Christmas comes once a year. I will get back on track the next day!