Options
    Bump to watch later :)
  • NotThePest
    Options
    I'm tagging this so, "bump."
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options

My guess is that the second video, she was recording what she thought serving sizes were, not what they actually were. That's easy to do, especially for someone who is naive of how food labels really work. She seemed genuinely shocked (and hurt) when they told her she "hadn't recorded 43% of her intake", which makes me believe she actually wrote down everything she ate and just didn't know what had which size of serving.

I agree with this. Also probably true of the first video... perhaps the thinner lady tends to eat less when alone etc... I certainly think this is fairer than the "fatty boombatties are all liars" point of view so prevalent in the comments thread on youtube (why I read that I do not know). I think it would have been a more effective experiment if the logging was done on a site like MFP, there is an underlying implication of deceit in this experiment, which I think is pretty bad science.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. The biggest truth that people will find anything to ignore: calories in vs calories out.

The woman in the second video seems really intelligent and on the ball and genuinely surprised by the reporting. Most people are simply not aware of what is going into their bodies and over time their markers for correct portion size/frequency/content are skewed.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think whether you agree or not is irrelevant, what matters is whether or not you're willing to work with what you've got. Even if you do have a slow metabolism, are you just going to sit back and accept it or are you going to do the extra work?

obesity is a result of eating more than your body needs , fact... They wouldn't be OBESE if they didn't over indulge . We all know how easy it is to hit 3000calories in one day off junk food ( a large big mac meal with a coke / then a milk shake then some nuggets = 3000 calories lol) . So come on , blaming their metabolism is the last thing they should blame .

I must not have phrased that the way I meant for it to be, because I don't really see why you are taking exception to what I said. I was just trying to say that even IF you think your metabolism is slow and that your "skinny friends with fast metabolisms" have an unfair advantage, well, tough t*ts. Life isn't fair, the playing field is never level and if you have to work extra hard then you have to work extra hard. Their metabolism is probably the last thing they should blame, my point was more that no one is going to work off the extra weight for them.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Metabolism does slow down with age, about 5-10% less per decade after the 25th birthday. However, this slowdown is easily counteracted by exercise.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Metabolism does slow down with age, about 5-10% less per decade after the 25th birthday. However, this slowdown is easily counteracted by exercise.

Food consumption isn't fixed either...
  • Frostmere
    Options
    this is helpful and is motivating me to push on!
    thank you
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Will watch these later! Thanks for posting!
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this.

that fruit salad was rather large......wonder how many people it was to feed? maybe portion size was the main issue with the lady in the 2nd video.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kklotay
    kklotay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Doubly Labelled Water throws it all out in the open. LOL :laugh:

How can you just "forget" about 43% of what you've eaten??
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I know it's not always a valid excuse but it is true for some.

Very true.

Same with being born with a tail.

OK... I just spat tea everywhere........
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This is awesome
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Doubly Labelled Water throws it all out in the open. LOL :laugh:

How can you just "forget" about 43% of what you've eaten??

I don't think they necessarily forget, I just think people suck at estimating portions. Many many times you'll see threads here where someone says they're eating low calories and not losing weight, and then it turns out they aren't weighing/measuring, or they don't log weekends. Although, I do think it's possible to forget about little things like a handful of M&Ms from the candy jar, licking the bowl while baking, or snagging a few crackers on the way through the break room, etc. People are really good at self-deception. The results are similar to this study, which found that even dieticians under-report their intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    In this study they compared caloric intake from 10 female registered dietitians and 10 women of comparable weight who were not dietitians and the study compared the energy intake obtained from 7-day food records with energy expenditure measured over the corresponding 7-day period using doubly labeled water.

Participants were told that the goal was to record food intake as accurately as possible, because it would be compared with the simultaneous measurement of energy expenditure determined by doubly labeled water.

Dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day.