Reality Check: Skinny People Must Have Fast Metabolisms

Options

Replies

• lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I actually do have a problem with my metabolism. I'm in kidney failure and it's messed up most of my systems. The doctor said that I just can't break down and digest food very well. I don't use this as an excuse, however, because then I wouldn't get anyway. I just take it as motivation to work a little harder.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

How can you just "forget" about 43% of what you've eaten??

I don't think they necessarily forget, I just think people suck at estimating portions. Many many times you'll see threads here where someone says they're eating low calories and not losing weight, and then it turns out they aren't weighing/measuring, or they don't log weekends. Although, I do think it's possible to forget about little things like a handful of M&Ms from the candy jar, licking the bowl while baking, or snagging a few crackers on the way through the break room, etc. People are really good at self-deception. The results are similar to this study, which found that even dieticians under-report their intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    In this study they compared caloric intake from 10 female registered dietitians and 10 women of comparable weight who were not dietitians and the study compared the energy intake obtained from 7-day food records with energy expenditure measured over the corresponding 7-day period using doubly labeled water.

Participants were told that the goal was to record food intake as accurately as possible, because it would be compared with the simultaneous measurement of energy expenditure determined by doubly labeled water.

Dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day.

This

weighing and measuring your food makes a big difference in calories.
    prior to joining MFP, I was eyeballing ingredients.
    My eyeballed 2 oz of pasta ended up as almost 4 oz when I used a kitchen scale.
    I weigh and measure all I can now. It is a material amount of calories
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ok, forget logging my food.. I want that water. That would be so much easier. LOL

I wonder though how accurate that water test really is, how do you forget to log over half of what you eat?? I am quite certain that I forget to log something here and there but I highly doubt I forget to log over half of what I eat and if I did I would consider talking to somebody about my memory loss issues.

Good videos, thanks.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ok, forget logging my food.. I want that water. That would be so much easier. LOL

I wonder though how accurate that water test really is, how do you forget to log over half of what you eat?? I am quite certain that I forget to log something here and there but I highly doubt I forget to log over half of what I eat and if I did I would consider talking to somebody about my memory loss issues.

Good videos, thanks.

It's not just about forgetting to log. People miss condiment calories, they may take just a little nibble of something here and there without tracking it, they may not use a food scale, there may be differences in actual energy intake vs what's on a food label, etc.

Aside:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

I really believe these inaccuracies can collectively add up to a lot.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Doubly Labelled Water throws it all out in the open. LOL :laugh:

How can you just "forget" about 43% of what you've eaten??

I don't think they necessarily forget, I just think people suck at estimating portions.

They do also forget to log whole meals. In the uk we have a show called "Secret Eaters" where people who claim they only eat about 1200 calories a day and can't lose weight are asked to log their food for a week but are also secretly monitored. These people will go to the pub and log half of what they drink, usually conveniently forgetting the spirits at the end of the night, whole takeaways they had on the way home, entire bags of crisps eaten as a snack, etc. it's insane! It's like they think that it only counts if they put it in their diaries.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Good videos, thanks.

It's not just about forgetting to log. People miss condiment calories, they may take just a little nibble of something here and there without tracking it, they may not use a food scale, there may be differences in actual energy intake vs what's on a food label, etc.

Aside:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Also,sometimes people who aren't committed fudge on the numbers too because it makes them feel like they're eating healthier than they are. I remember when I first started dieting I used to always log a bowl of cereal as the serving size listed on the box and milk carton. It makes the bowl of Cookie Crisp look like it's only 200ish calories, 100 for the cereal and 100 for the milk. In my mind that meant it was a low calorie breakfast and a dessert I could have instead of ice cream. Really though, the serving size is a cup each and a bowl of cereal is probably 3-4 cups or more and probably not far off from a bowl of ice cream calorie wise.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    metabolism, like most things, can be trained, mine was ruined with anorexia, I know maintain on 3500-4000 calories a day

Amen.

There are many MANY was to manipulate the metabolism - for good or for bad.

People forget that we can manipulate the calories in, calories out equation by many means including eating more, adjusting macros, changing the type of exercise, etc.

But the fundamental principle still holds.

calories in < calories out = weight loss
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I loved the videos and found them quite interesting.
    But I must say, these links provide an interesting twist on the DLW. Yet, it doesn't negate the results of the metabolic tests that were conducted.
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    no no..bigger people have often better metabolism due to amount of food they eat, the only thing is they eat wrong food.

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

FOR THE LOVE OF TWINKIES PLEASE READ: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Muchas gracias. It always pisses me off when people say I'm thin because of my metabolism. So much rage.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I actually do have a problem with my metabolism. I'm in kidney failure and it's messed up most of my systems. The doctor said that I just can't break down and digest food very well. I don't use this as an excuse, however, because then I wouldn't get anyway. I just take it as motivation to work a little harder.

That's a legit medical reason, though. So many people say it's simply their metabolism when they're in perfectly good health, which is the problem that's being addressed here.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: Me too!
    I dunno....both videos made me feel kind of icky :ohwell: and the comments that followed made me feel even worse :sick:

If the calorie counts on food labels are not accurate, then how is someone supposed to be able to account or go up against doubly labeled h20? It all adds up :ohwell:

I just felt grimy watching this & realized it's the whole 'reality' train wreck thing that makes me feel like this. I don't think people set out to deceive themselves & I get that sometimes people live in a state of denial, but I feel it kind of paints all overweight people with a broad stroke. This I'm just not comfortable with :sick:
  • athene_circe
    athene_circe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options

Good videos, thanks.

Aside:

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS:

http://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

Another must watch.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch after work.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Good videos, thanks.

Aside:

This...

NOt sure the water will help as it tells you what you ate aftberwards...no help before.

All I know is that I was one of those that was underestimating my calorie intake prior to getting a new digital scale...

I read the above mentioned link, watched the youtube video and bought one that day...

Prior to that I logged my calories as close to my recommended intake and was losing about .5lb a week....not the 1lb I was suppose to be...since buying the scale I have lost 1lb a week every week...it means it takes a wee bit more time when preparing my meals and/or my family meals (trust me the boys are not happy with the 4oz hb patties I made this week which were weighed raw then cooked...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) but I was doing the cooking....

Anyway off track...while cooking I have noticed my favorite spice has calories...5 per tsp but it's still something I have never counted...and bbq sauce...or a bite of that hb my husband had last night...that stuff all adds up...for me not much (as those are rare occurances that I don't log everything) but if you are a busy parent and take bites here, grab a cracker there, eat that last half of your childs sandwich and don't log it...WHAM.

logging accurately as possible is important and if you are truely committed you do it...and that happens after you accept facts such as the one this video points out.
  • scottdsexton
    scottdsexton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I remember that there was an Oprah show where she got her metabolism tested and it was actually higher then average ... I wonder whether it is actually portion size that catches people out, I mean I ate healthily, but 2-3 times the amount that I was supposed to :-)

I know this to be true for several people. They will delight in telling you how they only eat healthy foods and then proceed to eat 3-4 plates at every meal. Then they complain how they are not losing weight. Since most of the people are business clients I chew on my tongue and nod agreeingly with them.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    my husband is 'naturally' skinny... i logged on here what he eats for a couple of days just out of interest, turns out that he eats about the same amount as me... i am 5ft5, he is 6ft2....

Ouch! Wake up call!!

Thanks for your honesty.
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    bump to watch later