Anyone else whose goal is still not a "healthy weight"?

Options

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking my weight and using weight as goalposts, but the ultimate goal is to feel better, healthier, stronger and to use this "dieting" time to build healthy sustainable habits for maintenance later.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't go by BMI (although health insurance does). For my height I am suppose to be between 95-128 lbs. My goal is 135-150, but a bf% of less than 30.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the scale is helpful to get you going in the right direction.

But at the end of the journey, the mirror v. your mental image of your ideal self is far more important than the scale.

This. My goal weight is in the top of my healthy BMI range, and will be slightly higher than the lowest i have ever weighed as an adult. At my lowest adult weight (which is in the top end of healthy BMI), i thought I looked emaciated and people were always commenting that I was too thin. My plan is to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see and how strong and fit I feel, the scale be darned!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    At my lowest adult weight (which is in the top end of healthy BMI), i thought I looked emaciated and people were always commenting that I was too thin.

Part of the problem is there are communities where people have no idea what fit looks like. This is a fairly common issue on these boards for people who are in good shape. Why don't you have an extra 15+ pounds of fat like everyone else? You too skinny! Err...

Messes with your mind! Not saying this is you, just that it's common.
    My plan is to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see and how strong and fit I feel, the scale be darned!

Good plan!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think perceptions of how a healthy weight looks have been skewed to the higher end of BMI.

When I was obese most people thought I was just overweight. People then started to tell me to stop losing weight while I was still at an unhealthy weight - both by BMI and body fat standards.

Many people seem to think that obese means bound to a mobility scooter with huge flaps of fat hanging down the sides, but it really doesn't. A decent sized pot belly can be enough to make you obese, especially in men.

The majority of people who are leaning on the old 'muscle is denser than fat' are frankly in denial in my opinion. Chances are good that if you reached obesity without significant resistance training then you are obese by not just BMI standards, but by body fat standards also.

BMI is a poor indicator when considering highly trained athletes. But at 300 pounds, be honest, you don't fall into that category.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and a healthy weight for me is about 130 or so. I weighed that when I was anorexic and exercise bulimic in high school. I am at 225 right now which is morbidly obese, but my goal is 170. I think this just puts me out of obese and into overweight. I am totally fine with that!!! I am curvy and will never be skinny; its just how I am made.
  • vermillionlove
    vermillionlove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 150 pounds (i'm a 5'2 female, 196 right now), but after looking at BMI charts I see that 150 is still overweight and nearly in the obese category. when I was 150, I felt kinda fat, but I maintained that weight for a long time, then finished school and weight piled on. So I guess my REAL goal is around 125-130 pounds, but by BMI standards, 130 is barely in the normal weight category. I guess I'd need to talk to a doctor about what I should really be aiming for. :P
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    At my weight now and the size I wear, I never in a million years would have thought I was "severely" obese according to a chart somebody made. I just thought I "needed to lose some weight". when I get to my goal I will just be obese, That about 15 pounds to go. I will be at the weight I was when I didn't know I was obese! I looked dang good, and I look forward to getting back there.

There were times I got UNDER my choice weight, and I don't know if it was just a fluke each time - but each time I got about 5 pounds under I got sick. Lethargic, flu, virus, you name it. There were about 6 instances of this throughout the last 12 years.

My daughter has a goal weight, which she has already reached, and she is still overweight, but she looks very good. I have a friend who is slim as can be, she has 6 pounds to go. she will still be overweight.

So there you go.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think perceptions of how a healthy weight looks have been skewed to the higher end of BMI.

When I was obese most people thought I was just overweight. People then started to tell me to stop losing weight while I was still at an unhealthy weight - both by BMI and body fat standards.

Many people seem to think that obese means bound to a mobility scooter with huge flaps of fat hanging down the sides, but it really doesn't. A decent sized pot belly can be enough to make you obese, especially in men.

The majority of people who are leaning on the old 'muscle is denser than fat' are frankly in denial in my opinion. Chances are good that if you reached obesity without significant resistance training then you are obese by not just BMI standards, but by body fat standards also.

BMI is a poor indicator when considering highly trained athletes. But at 300 pounds, be honest, you don't fall into that category.

But you forget there ARE exceptions and I can offer numbers if that helps -- for example, I am just barely out of the "obese" level for BMI (My BMI IS 29.7) but my body fat is 27-28% which is considered average and healthy for a woman my age. I do want to lower it, frankly for looks. But even so, in order to get to the healthy weight as determined by BMI, it looks like I'd either have to get to a fitness level of body fat or actually lose muscle. That seems pretty counterproductive to me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 180. I am nearly 5'10" and would look damn good at that weight. I don't care about a clothing size or weight, just want to be happy in my body.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is exactly what they would consider on the high side of a healthy weight.

I used to weigh 332. My current weight is 207.5. I've lost 125 pounds. I would be THRILLED to lose another 57 pounds and weight in at 150.

According to the BMI chart, my healthy range is 111 - 150.

I think it's a personal matter. If you are healthy and happy with where you are .... then stick with it.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking my weight and using weight as goalposts, but the ultimate goal is to feel better, healthier, stronger and to use this "dieting" time to build healthy sustainable habits for maintenance later.

Quoted for truth. My goal is 175 (or rather, 170 with a 5-lb glycogen rebound built in), which puts me in the "overweight" BMI range. If I can get down to 165 or 160 without making myself miserable in the process, great! But my target is to hit that balance between "optimum BMI weight" and "weight I can maintain for a long period". I'd rather spend my energy working on developing and maintaining healthier eating and exercise habits than drive myself nuts for years cycling up and down 10 pounds.

My other target is waist circumference- regardless of weight, I'd like to get close to or hit the markers suggested by NHLBI (under 35 in for women, under 40 in for men). There's some good evidence that waist circumference is a better predictor of cardiovascular disease than BMI, particularly for people in the "Normal" or "Overweight" categories. I've found the publicly available NIH/NHLBI textbook "Guidelines on Overweight and Obesity" to be very useful- the excerpt on waist circumference is linked below.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/e_txtbk/txgd/4142.htm
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

But you forget there ARE exceptions and I can offer numbers if that helps -- for example, I am just barely out of the "obese" level for BMI (My BMI IS 29.7) but my body fat is 27-28% which is considered average and healthy for a woman my age. I do want to lower it, frankly for looks. But even so, in order to get to the healthy weight as determined by BMI, it looks like I'd either have to get to a fitness level of body fat or actually lose muscle. That seems pretty counterproductive to me.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine your body fat %? A woman with a BMI of almost 30 but ~27% body fat would have an enormous amount of muscle. For example, a 5'2 woman with a BMI of 29.7 would weigh about 163 lbs. At 27% body fat, that gives her almost 120 lbs of lean mass. On a 5'2 frame 120 lbs of lean mass on a woman is incredible. Fitness model Jamie Eason is 5'2 and has around 30 lbs less lean mass than that.
  • bk1guy
    Options
    I am a physician and I can tell you, BMI is unreliable at best. It was originally designed in the 18th century in Europe as a demographic tool and has no medical or scientific origin. It has been used as a category in medical studies, and for most "normal" build people is a fairly good indicator of ideal weight. Unfortunately, it cannot take into account people whose build falls outside that range. I am a very stocky, broad-shouldered person myself. The best shape I was ever in (high school and college) I was about 215. I am 5'8". I had defined abs, was a runner, and played multiple sports. I will never be able to get to my 'ideal' weight of 155-175 unless I have terminal cancer and am severely malnourished. The thing to keep in mind is that if you're making healthier choices, feeling better, and losing clearly excessive weight then you are on the right track. Don't be a slave to BMI or 'ideal' weight charts.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you know what? my goal is to be 165. it looked good on me before and that is what I want. you are a little taller than me, so I bet 180 will look good on you. Both weights are over the recommended of course but also more maintainable. It is not the losing part that is hard, its the maintaining. SO I say go for it.
  • stillnot2late
    Options
    Yes. This is me "obese"
    DSCN0190-001.jpg

My first goal is 180. I am pretty happy and feel good at 180. My main goal is for my weight not to interfere with my active lifestyle or make me feel sluggish (which is where I was). Once I get to 180, I plan on reevaluating and I am guessing my final goal will be close to 170, which at 5'6" will put me at a BMI of 27.4.

HOLY SMOKE! Girl you look great on here, its a shame it is considered obese, but I know what you mean. I look like that now EXCEPT I have a belly hanging down, and I am severely obese!. YOU DON'T HAVAE A BELLY! I'm aiming for about 15 more pounds hoping some of the gut will go down, but that's about it cause I like my figure the way it is. WHEN i LOSE THE 15, i'LL JUST BE OBESE.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah I want to be 165 (Im' 5'6") I'd still probably be a little bigger, but i have big hips, I like them, and I don't mind having some meat on my bones as long as I'm healthy
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I think that being happy and comfortable in your own skin is the most important thing. I am sure you would look great and healthy at 180.
  • stillnot2late
    Options
    I am a physician and I can tell you, BMI is unreliable at best. It was originally designed in the 18th century in Europe as a demographic tool and has no medical or scientific origin. It has been used as a category in medical studies, and for most "normal" build people is a fairly good indicator of ideal weight. Unfortunately, it cannot take into account people whose build falls outside that range. I am a very stocky, broad-shouldered person myself. The best shape I was ever in (high school and college) I was about 215. I am 5'8". I had defined abs, was a runner, and played multiple sports. I will never be able to get to my 'ideal' weight of 155-175 unless I have terminal cancer and am severely malnourished. The thing to keep in mind is that if you're making healthier choices, feeling better, and losing clearly excessive weight then you are on the right track. Don't be a slave to BMI or 'ideal' weight charts.

Thank you doctor, thank you so much!!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My goal weight (long term) is smack dab in the middle of the BMI's 'overweight' category.

I think its a general consensus that BMI is meaningless.

BMI is meaningless- my doctor said this today. It is rarely used as a scale anymore.