Most annoying said by someone who is trying to lose weight.

Options
KittyJoi
KittyJoi Posts: 13 Member
I always see posts about annoying things people say to you when your trying to lose weight so lets put the shoe on the other foot. What have you or someone you know said in reference to losing weight that is annoying or silly?

My aunts favorite thing to say. She is 5 foot 1 and almost 200 pounds and been struggling to lose weight for about 20 years.- "I don't want to lose to much weight and lose my breasts" She should be more concerned about getting off that high blood pressure medication.

From a female coworker about my height 5 feet weighing around 300 lbs. said to me weighing then around 105 lbs.- "I don't want to get to skinny I would like to be about your size you have the perfect body"

From pretty much every person who has ever told me they are trying to lose weight- "I don't want to get to skinny!" Yes because getting to skinny is a problem we all face, lol.

Replies

• Jen9239
    Jen9239 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As I was about to leave for the gym a family member said "yea I need to go to the gym too" as they were sitting down to eat a large bowl of homemade banana pudding
  • KittyJoi
    KittyJoi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Haha I guess it was just a fleeting thought.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My step mother used to be a LARGE woman, probably pushing 350 pounds and very short. I saw her again a year later (she lives overseas) and she was TINY. I couldn't believe it until I realized she had developed some serious bulimia. I tried to talk to her about it, but she told me, and I quote, "Darling, exercise is for people with low self esteem. You don't need to exercise to lose weight."

Did I mention she told this to me at a plastic surgeon's office? (She gets lipo now regularly.) Yeah, I'm not the one with low self esteem lady.
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am annoyed by this one, "I don't want to lose too much weight. I just want to lose my belly"

I find the most annoying people who are trying to lose weight are the ones who think it's their place to tell everyone else what and how to do it (without anyone asking)

I do what works for me, you do you.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    "My Dr. told me not to lose too much weight - it would be difficult on my joints to have no padding." :noway:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No specifics, but the ones who'll believe and buy any fad anyone tries to sell them, but ingore the free advice from people with experience losing and maintaining that loss.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    My step mother got the gastric by-pass and lost 75 lbs. Then proceeded to gain it all back and then some by eating crap. The last time I was there and had to leave to get to Zumba class, she said, "Yeah I should go for a walk, but it usually gives me cramps if I do it too soon after eating. So, I guess I'll just wait." Oh and did I mention that she said this to me while she was working her way thru a 1 lb bag of M & M's??

*SMH* :noway:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    A co-worker said the other day that he didn't want Belgian waffles for lunch because they were fattening.

and then proceeded to get a personal pizza*

*personally, i subscribe to the IIFIYM philosophy, so either would be cool with me IIFIYM - but what was silly was his reasoning, and I made fun of him for it - because that's the kind of office in which i work
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Well in the last thread I was in I saw " being a little overweight is more exercise for your body and better than being skinny" and "I love my curves and so does my bf" by someone who was mistaking the body shape of "ROUND" as being curvy.

Annoyed.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "My Dr. told me not to lose too much weight - it would be difficult on my joints to have no padding." :noway:

This is my fave.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The thing I myself USED to say - I can't go to the gym, I'll be in pain. As I was sitting in pain already....

And the one I hear from a co-worker - I know I need to work out but I don't have the time or money...as she goes to the store and buys more shoes....
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    No specifics, but the ones who'll believe and buy any fad anyone tries to sell them, but ingore the free advice from people with experience losing and maintaining that loss.

This one...
    People often ask me what I'm doing, but when I tell them, they don't want to listen. I guess it sounds like too much work. I can only hope that someday they will figure it out, too...just as I did.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    "I don't want to be too skinny-- guys don't like bones!"
    "I don't want to be too muscular-- I don't want to look like a guy!"**
    WHAT.

**Edited to say that I don't want to be the next Arnold. But, that's why cardio exists. And anyway I'd rather be muscular than lumpy.
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    *personally, i subscribe to the IIFIYM philosophy, so either would be cool with me IIFIYM - but what was silly was his reasoning, and I made fun of him for it - because that's the kind of office in which i work
    [/quote]

What is IIFIYM?
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My friend asked me how to lose weight.
    I gave her the simple answer of "track your calories, have a deficit." She came back to me the next day and said, "this is too hard, It's 9am and I'm already half way through my calories, I had a steeped tea and a cookie for breakfast."

I told her to exercise then so she can eat more calories...

She then looked at me straight in the eyes and was like, "This is too hard, forget it."
  • mjharman
    Options

What is IIFIYM?

LOL! I had to google it!
    "If it fits in your macros" is what google said...
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My overweight co-worker has slimfasts every day for lunch and looks at the portion sizes of my homemade meals and says omg I can't believe you are going to eat all that food!

Well IIFYM and I'm sorry but I don't want to have a little shake for lunch I want a big fat meal that's going to leave me satisfied and not hungry. If you cared at all about watching what you ate you'd ditch your stupid little shake and eat my 4 chicken taco lettuce wraps, my 1/2 gallon sized Turkey Cranberry Salad, or my buffalo chicken loaded sweet potato with me.

PS... not knocking slim fasts or drinking your meals but they just don't fill me up and they obviously arent working for her either as she has about 100 lbs to lose.
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    also...when I just quoted someone, why didn't it show up in the 'quote box'? (instead it just appears as part of my reply)
  • dayhadley
    Options
    KittyJoi, you win with the one about the boobs. I have pretty large boobs, but they look better a little smaller when I lose weight rather than being surrounded by a bunch o' fat when I've been heavier. That's just plain ridiculous. Also, when you hit 40, you tend to start looking at the carbs and your cholesterol, your overall health, rather than being ok with short and stocky because "you don't want to lose your boobs". The real answer is because they don't want to eat healthier and move more. It's not easy, but sometimes you have to work to meet your goals.
  • mjharman
    Options
    also...when I just quoted someone, why didn't it show up in the 'quote box'? (instead it just appears as part of my reply)

Somehow you must have deleted the [ quote ] in the beginning or the [ /quote ] at the end...(don't include the spaces...I didn't want my explanation to show up as a quote)