Most annoying said by someone who is trying to lose weight.

Options

Replies

• dayhadley
    Options
    KittyJoi, you win with the one about the boobs. I have pretty large boobs, but they look better a little smaller when I lose weight rather than being surrounded by a bunch o' fat when I've been heavier. That's just plain ridiculous. Also, when you hit 40, you tend to start looking at the carbs and your cholesterol, your overall health, rather than being ok with short and stocky because "you don't want to lose your boobs". The real answer is because they don't want to eat healthier and move more. It's not easy, but sometimes you have to work to meet your goals.

Losing your boobs is hard to define. My wife has lost about 70 lbs, and went from a D to a DDD.

Sure they're *technically* smaller .. but .. if the band shrinks faster that the cup .. they "get bigger"

hooray.

HOORAY FOR BOOBIES!!!
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The girl I work with talking about her weight loss in the break room:
    "I don't eat much. All I usually eat is a granola bar, an apple with some peanut butter, and a bowl of fruit for the whole day, but I'm having a soda today because my sugar has been out of whack."
    Did I mention she has diabetes but isn't on insulin? No wonder she calls in sick all the time "because her sugar is off" and she doesn't feel good.

People notice her weight loss because she's gone from a size 18 to a 10 in a couple months, but to talk to her, it's clear she's not getting enough calories. Her boyfriend thinks she's starving herself and I think he's right!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    No specifics, but the ones who'll believe and buy any fad anyone tries to sell them, but ingore the free advice from people with experience losing and maintaining that loss.

This one...
    People often ask me what I'm doing, but when I tell them, they don't want to listen. I guess it sounds like too much work. I can only hope that someday they will figure it out, too...just as I did.
    This for SURE. My new pet peeve is acquaintances coming up to me and asking how I lost the weight, and when I start telling them about eating at a deficit through portion control for weight loss and then exercising for overall health, they start to zone out as if I'm talking gobbledygook. THEN they start on me about how a sister/brother/cousin/coworker is doing fantastic on green coffee beans or raspberry ketones and how they don't have to watch what they eat or exercise at all as if I should drop what I'm doing and go buy an overpriced bottle of whatever snake oil Dr. Oz and all those crappy Facebook posts are peddling THIS week. :angry:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, I never feel annoyed by people who want to lose weight. They can say whatever they want. When they're ready, they'll figure out what they need to do.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    "My Dr. told me not to lose too much weight - it would be difficult on my joints to have no padding." :noway:

Wow!!
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "You can cheat this one time"
    Uh really?!?! Cheating "this one time" is what got my @$$ so big to start with!!!!
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "OMG!!!! How did you loose so much weight??? Um, diet and a lot of exercise. Oh, nevermind..."

Really?!?!?
  • CurvaciousBeautyToBe
    Options
    "That food doesn't fit into my macros."
  • teilee
    teilee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No specifics, but the ones who'll believe and buy any fad anyone tries to sell them, but ingore the free advice from people with experience losing and maintaining that loss.

This one...
    People often ask me what I'm doing, but when I tell them, they don't want to listen. I guess it sounds like too much work. I can only hope that someday they will figure it out, too...just as I did.

^^^THIS. I actually had someone ask me how I'm doing it and I told her healthy food, small portions and exercise and she said, AND I QUOTE, "hmmm, thanks anyway!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    "I tried everything and nothing works"
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Incessantwriter
    Options
    "I know she's thinner but I'm so much hotter! I don't want to lose weight and look sick like her."
    :/
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Co-worker: I'm going to a 1000 calorie diet and running 3 miles every other day.
    Me: I dunno dude, it sounds like that may not be enough food for you. Maybe you should try something less dramatic?
    Co-worker: No, this is going to work.

He comes in for lunch the next day with a personal pizza, a salad with ranch dressing, and a soda. The day after that was Chipotle. I'm like dude, you prob just ate 1,000 calories right there in one meal.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    'If you lose any more weight than 150 you will look like a crackhead because you are big boned."

Is big boned even a real thing because I have average wrist bones?
  • sjanejack
    Options
    I haven't really heard much of anything like any of this. I mean my mom has said before that the number of the scale says she is at the same weight, or that she gained weight. I ended up asking my mom to not buy anything like raspberry ketones or green tea extract while at the store with her, because I tried using stuff like that before and I know it did nothing for me. People will figure it out in time, either way, if they really want to lose the weight.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    A guy I worked with at my last job was trying to lose weight by eating nothing but fish, hardboiled eggs, and protein shakes. Rather unsurprisingly, he fell off the wagon all the time and was constantly in a, "Right, seriously this time! Diet starts Monday!" mentality. A girl in my office asked him once, "Do you think this diet is really sustainable?" and he says, "Yeah, of course it's sustainable, I just have to stick with it." I could have defined "sustainable" for him, but I chose to keep my mouth shut. This was the same guy who would sort of smirk and ask me if I was going to do my "Jane Fonda" when I got home, after I explained to him that I do a lot of Jillian Michaels' DVDs.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    "I tried everything and nothing works"

-Me, 10 years ago
  • sjanejack
    Options
    'If you lose any more weight than 150 you will look like a crackhead because you are big boned."

I'm not even sure if I believe the whole big boned thing. Even if there was or is a such thing, that doesn't mean you can't lose enough weight to barely be overweight anymore. Otherwise you could just not make comments about how hard weight loss is if you're not really trying that much, idk just a thought. But it wouldn't bother me, what people say about it. It seems like it bothers other people more.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    in high school, I was starting to do something about my weight, and a friend who was also heavy, and she'd do nothing but eat crap and ***** about being fat.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I'm not even sure if I believe the whole big boned thing. Even if there was or is a such thing, that doesn't mean you can't lose enough weight to barely be overweight anymore. Otherwise you could just not make comments about how hard weight loss is if you're not really trying that much, idk just a thought. But it wouldn't bother me, what people say about it. It seems like it bothers other people more.

I'm big boned and very overweight. even at my thinnest, my shoulders and hips were always broader than everyone elses. big boned however is not an excuse for why I am fat. I ate a lot of crap, didn't exercise, didn't care.