What was your "last straw"???

Options

Replies

• NickiG724
    Options
    I was on here only for a few days then let go. I had lost 30 pounds and was thinner than I was in high school. But then...I put it all back on. I had bought skinny clothes and then couldn't fit into them anymore. I was sick of being like this and even though I've made only tiny progress, I feel much better about myself and my future.

Feel free to add me!
  • fromaquasar9
    Options
    Just had it last night. I was on here a couple of years ago, lost some weight, was really fit and healthy and I loved it. But somehow I lost my way and drifted off again. Last night getting ready to go out for a friends birthday and none of my "pretty' clothes fit me, everything was stretched and pulled in some very unflattering ways! It was such a blow to my self confidence and I know I need to start again from scratch. Which is very depressing as I'd done so much work but at least I know I can do it! x
  • hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    Seeing the scale at 213 lbs and told I was obese. At 24 yrs old. That and my size 15 jeans were so tight it hurt to wear them.
  • Nicole399
    Options
    What a sad story, I really feel for you. No one should be sitting in the car crying alone like that. You're here now and will get back on track!
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i saw a pc of myself holding my then 8 month old son, and barely recognized myself. i thought the guy in the picture looked like he was ready for a heart attack!
  • evviamarshall
    evviamarshall Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Totally honest? There are "things" I'd like to do with my man in bed that I need to be in shape in order to be confident enough to do.

Also when someone told me that I look like Jill Scott a while ago. I think Jill Scott looks like a fat teddy bear. That was my last straw.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I did my required biometric screening for my health insurance back in March. My numbers were acceptable, but pretty dismal for a 34-year-old who thought she was healthy. The most salient point was my A1C at 5.9; 6.0 is diagnostic of diabetes. My whole family is diabetic and in generally rotten health, so I was just waiting for my turn to be diagnosed. I had resigned myself to a life of stabbing fingers and injecting drugs.

Now, when I say my family is in rotten health, I mean they're in ROTTEN health. My dad's baby sister, the only one who isn't diabetic, is working on her third heart attack at the age of 55. His older sister is so heavy and has lymphedema so bad that she can hardly walk. She wants to get bariatric surgery, but her health is too poor for her to be a good candidate. His brother uses a wheelchair for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and had prostate cancer not too long ago. And my dad has survived two bone marrow transplants and a stroke in addition to severe diabetes. All of them are old before their time, and I was resigned to being like that.

So, we come to the last straw. The seed that it grew from, I suppose, was seeing Forks Over Knives. Before I watched that film, it had never occurred to me that diabetes was not my inevitable fate. But only a few weeks after I saw it, my dad told me that he'd broken his foot in two places. Since his diabetic neuropathy is so bad that he can't feel his feet at all, he didn't know it for two months and was now looking at an amputation. So there I was, obese and prediabetic, with a big decision to make. Fortunately, I knew of a solution.

I don't know what my blood sugars look like, but I'm down 8 pounds since the 5th of August on a whole foods, plant-based diet. With the great support I get here and at work (the state health department), I plan to lose a total of 70 lbs.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    A guy at work saying that "everyone that works at my store" was fat. Which included me. The idea that someone I had never met saw "fat" before anything else made me cry for days... And then take action.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you can add your tracker from the profile page. Just follow the steps. My last straw was seeing myself in a recent picture taken at the beach in my swimsuit. Uggg. I kept thinking this cant be right. But my hubbie looked great in his pic. That and the fact that all my clothes were getting tighter and tighter.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    So many reasons ...final one was my mum kindly saying that perhaps I needed to just accept that genetically I had my grandmother's body. Woke up the next morning and it hit me that gran had died from advanced breast cancer. Started that day. It wasn't with just the thought either that I'd prevent it but with a realization that if that was a battle I'd have to face then I wanted to be in the best shape of my life.
  • meljoyc
    meljoyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work in a nursing home and almost all of the elderly people who are there have the same medical diagnosis' that I had. Overweight, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux. I knew my future would involve living in a care center if I didn't take better care of myself. I also knew that I had an addiction to sugar. I couldn't live without it and that really bothered me but I couldn't imagine never having another piece of birthday cake. After researching a lot I decided I needed to practice abstinence from flour and sugar much like an alcoholic abstains from alcohol. After about 2 weeks, I didn't even crave sweets anymore. I'm back on the whole food diet that I slipped off of this last year and after 6 days I'm already feeling so much better.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    My last pregnancy weigh-in, realizing that I was less than 20 pounds away from the weight my mother was when she had a gastric bypass. Pregnant or not, no excuse for letting myself get that out of shape. Happy to report I've lost more than 100 pounds since that weigh-in (even if the first 15 were via the c-section hehe).
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Tons of reasons! Losing my beautiful mom at the age of 63 to heart disease and diabetes was a big one! But my actual final straw was the picture on the bottom left of my profile/avatar <
    . I had NO IDEA I looked like that. It terrified and appalled me. Also, around that same time, I was co-teaching a college class and I tried to sit in a chair that swung out from the tables (was connected). I didn't fit. I couldn't even wedge myself in there. That day I had had ENOUGH! I started THAT day. I didn't wait to Monday. I didn't wait for morning.
  • Schnrlvr
    Options
    Hmm, no one last straw. No clothing looked good on me. It was no secret to me that I was overweight. My girlfriend was worried I had a tumor LOL. My health care provider wrote on my chart that I needed to lose weight. Darn I hate that diagnosis: obese.
  • abaylor34
    Options
    thighs rubbing together as i walk(uncomfy)

back fat rolls

pouchy belly

hard to lean over to put on socks/shoes

feeling lazy/lowered energy
  • candi_girl24
    candi_girl24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My moment would be seeing pictures of myself and looking in the mirror and realizing how big I really am. First, I cried then I decided to do something about it! Now, I'm sticking to it no matter what!
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I had just accepted that I was going to always be fat and that's how it was because I liked food WAY too much.
    Some friends and I started floating in tubes this summer down one of the local rivers that are known for that and kayaking. During the middle of the float I had gotten out of my tube and couldn't get back in it. It took 2 people pulling my arms and one guy putting his foot on my *kitten* to push me back in to my tube. I was mortified.
    Then I went out with a good looking fit guy and he told me something I had never heard before. Most guys didn't want to date me because I was too fat, but he said "I can't be with someone that doesn't care if they're healthy. I want to be able to grow old with someone." And that made me really start thinking....and that afternoon I started logging my food.
  • davidlo421
    Options
    hearing from my kids.. Daddy are you having a baby.. Did it for me:cry:
  • AJett40
    AJett40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Breaking out in a sweat just walking from my car to the front door at work :(
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    my wedding pics and my hubby looking at me with a pity look when nothing fits me
This discussion has been closed.