i have absolutely no will power..

Options

Replies

• kaykaylyn
    kaykaylyn Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of what you're running into is you are looking at the big picture and it's completely overwhelming. That would be like going to a pizza buffet and telling yourself you HAVE to eat everything.

Start small. Pick one thing to change, one "bad habit" and work on it. Doesn't matter how small it might seem. When it's not a big deal anymore, pick another one. If that one thing still seems to be a problem, try something else. You just have to keep fiddling with stuff until something just...well, I guess "feels right."

I have done many, many things throughout the years and much of it is a pain in the rear. Though along the way I've managed to change some bad habits into better habits and gradually I feel like I'm "getting there." Some days I feel like I've done all bad, but when I look at my food diary I can SEE that I really didn't do so bad. I am eating salad pretty much every day, I only eat one carb per meal (that's a HARD one and sometimes....Sunday......it doesn't work out quite that well - corn AND potato .....but boy I sure enjoyed it a lot more than I used to!), I only drink water, I don't buy ice cream I like in any size container larger than those single ones and I (so far) never eat more than one at a time, etc. I have to stop and think about what I "would have done before" sometimes.

Try not to focus as much on what you feel like you "can't" do and find something to focus on that you "can" do. And like I tell myself every day....every damn day......"Being a little hungry isn't gonna kill me." (Unless, of course, I go crazy with it but my willpower is noway, never ever ever gonna be that good!)
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was the same way. I could not control my eating, I was addicted to fast food. Then one day, everything changed. I just said, that's enough. Bought some scales , some soup and a stationary bike and I changed my life completely. It was like a switch flipped in my head and I knew,just knew I would do it. Don't know where it came from ! You can do it too, you won't believe how much better you'll feel almost immediately. Give it a week of serious dieting and exercise, weigh yourself before and after. When you see you've lost 3 or 4 pounds just in a week you'll be so happy you'll want to keep going.
    I've been fat sad and angry, I much prefer slim and happy and relaxed!
  • kaykaylyn
    kaykaylyn Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I really like this post, Very encouraging
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through everything so I don't know if others have suggested this, but take baby steps.

Start by doing something completely manageable: like while watching TV, you get up and do jumping jacks during the commercials. Get up each time to turn the channel instead of using the remote. Or you decide you're going to walk for 5 minutes today after work- maybe once around the block.

Same with eating- Tomorrow I'm going to replace my two piece of pizza and bag of chips with one piece of pizza and half a bag of chips plus carrots.

Don't try to change ALL your eating habits in one day and start exercising for an hour a day right off the bat. Pick tiny, seemingly unimportant changes to start. Then, as those seem to become easy or predictable, change it up. 5 minutes of walking turns into 10 after a week. Eventually replace that piece of pizza for lunch with chicken instead. Cut out that extra afternoon snack if you don't need it.

You can do it. Baby steps.
  • rswalls
    rswalls Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes: To begin, begin.
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to, idk what happen. I have none. no will power at all. I can't stay away from everything awful, I can't control my appetite. my love for candy & sugary things. I can't even cut my portions.. I don't like fruit, with the exception of watermelon, and sometimes bananas.. I just have no motivation to start..

I can't get started.. why?

i'm at my highest weight EVER. 319... 319!! :(

I eat because i'm sad, i'm sad because I eat.

idk what to do, what to try, who to turn to..

I could get adipex but i'm terrified of everything, esp. pharmaceuticals.

someone help? someone tell me they've been through this, and have gotten through this.

I need something. I didn't know where else to go.

I haven't even been taking care of myself with the exception if hygiene. no make up, no dressing up.. I feel bloated like a blimp constantly.. what's the point?

today will be long.

When you'll hit rock bottom, you will find the will power. You haven't hit rock bottom yet. Keep eating and hit that rock ;)
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Then you are not ready for this journey. It is ALL willpower.
  • ethansmom3
    Options
    Unfortunately there's no secret source of will power. Every single person on this site who has been successful had to make the decision to become a healthier person. It's incredibly simple, but that doesn't make it easy. You have to decide that becoming healthier is worth your effort (believe me, it is), and then you have to just hunker down and do it. No tricks, no gimmicks, no pills, no "kick starts" or whatever else.

Look at every decision you make as a chance to make yourself healthier. Watch TV or take a walk? Eat a side dish of french fries or fresh vegetables? Drink a large Coke or a bottle of water? One decision at a time. Sometimes you'll make unhealthy decisions, but that doesn't mean you're a failure. It's just a detour, you can always get back on track.

Start small, making one change at a time. It's easier to get long-term, sustainable results if you don't try to drastically change your lifestyle all at once.

And develop a healthier relationship with food and exercise, and with yourself. You may want to seek counseling if you feel that there are fundamental psychological issues that are causing you to overeat. For me personally, I didn't develop a healthy sense of self-esteem until I stopped worrying about how I looked and started worrying about making myself healthier and stronger. Maybe that's what you need as well.

Good luck!

That's amazing advice. I'm just starting on my weight loss journey also and what you had to say makes a lot of sense.
  • kro097
    kro097 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    join the club...I eat because i'm bored, sad, tired, to celebrate, I don't really need a reason to. I just need to find the motivation.
  • tammyjane42
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel I am the same way my weakness is sweets to I love cereal and ice cream and chocolate... I dont have to be hungry. I just want it, and then I dont have an evercise partner.... my husband is no help at all!!! i have tried adipex and it does work if you are nervous about it you can try half of it at a time, and some people have been put on topamax too that is also a type of diet ( mild) pill but for other uses, you can ask your doctor about it. Dont be down on yourself, you are beautif, we are all in this together and here for eachother to give advise and ideas.. :flowerforyou:
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Like many have said there is no way for anyone to give you the key to willpower. It must come from inside you. At some point in time you will get fed up enough with your current situation to want to change bad enough to overcome your roadblocks. That is where willpower comes from. Here is what worked for me once I made the decision to change (which is the hardest part and what you have already done)

- For the next week don't make any changes to what you eat
    - log EVERY BITE YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH. It will be eye opening to see how many calories some things are
    - At the end of the week look at your choices see what the worst things are and make a mental note of them
    - Week 2 exercise and log it. Dont worry about the gym or running in a 5k. Walk around your neighborhood for 20 minutes or whatever you can do. LOG ALL OF YOUR EXERCISE
    - continue to log EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH

At the end of week 2 take a hard look back at your data. See what the worst things are and see how much exercise it takes to negate those things. When you can put a slice of pizza in perspective as 60 minutes of walking you will start to ask yourself is it worth it.

Next you need to create some balance. Start slow. Look at your choices and see what you can do to cut back. If you have 3 slices of supreme pizza for dinner, cut back to pepperoni only. That can be 150 calories saved over 3 slices (that's an extra 30 minute walk you don't have to take). There are tons of little things like that you can do to cut back when you are starting out. Love chocolate, have a 40 calorie fudgesicle instead of a 210 calorie Hershey bar.

The key is not to make drastic changes. If you go from 3 pieces of supreme to salad and grilled chicken you will last about a week. Keep making little changes and keep increasing your exercise level. Most importantly LOG EVERYTHING EVERY DAY. Once your mind starts to equate food and the amount of exercise you need to work it off it gives you a great mental tool to build will power.

Be sure to set your weight loss goal in MFP so you have a calorie target. With the plan above don't expect or even try to hit it in your first 2 weeks. Work towards it and come up with a balance of exercise and reducing calories that work for you until you reach your target. Remember this is a long term plan, don't expect to get there overnight.
  • sillyrichie
    sillyrichie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Like many have said there is no way for anyone to give you the key to willpower. It must come from inside you. At some point in time you will get fed up enough with your current situation to want to change bad enough to overcome your roadblocks. That is where willpower comes from. Here is what worked for me once I made the decision to change (which is the hardest part and what you have already done)

- log EVERY BITE YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH. It will be eye opening to see how many calories some things are
    - At the end of the week look at your choices see what the worst things are and make a mental note of them
    - Week 2 exercise and log it. Dont worry about the gym or running in a 5k. Walk around your neighborhood for 20 minutes or whatever you can do. LOG ALL OF YOUR EXERCISE

At the end of week 2 take a hard look back at your data. See what the worst things are and see how much exercise it takes to negate those things. When you can put a slice of pizza in perspective as 60 minutes of walking you will start to ask yourself is it worth it.

Next you need to create some balance. Start slow. Look at your choices and see what you can do to cut back. If you have 3 slices of supreme pizza for dinner, cut back to pepperoni only. That can be 150 calories saved over 3 slices (that's an extra 30 minute walk you don't have to take). There are tons of little things like that you can do to cut back when you are starting out. Love chocolate, have a 40 calorie fudgesicle instead of a 210 calorie Hershey bar.

The key is not to make drastic changes. If you go from 3 pieces of supreme to salad and grilled chicken you will last about a week. Keep making little changes and keep increasing your exercise level. Most importantly LOG EVERYTHING EVERY DAY. Once your mind starts to equate food and the amount of exercise you need to work it off it gives you a great mental tool to build will power.

Be sure to set your weight loss goal in MFP so you have a calorie target. With the plan above don't expect or even try to hit it in your first 2 weeks. Work towards it and come up with a balance of exercise and reducing calories that work for you until you reach your target. Remember this is a long term plan, don't expect to get there overnight.

LOVE. THIS. POST. 'Nuff said. :)
  • sbeezii
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes: To begin, begin.

I absolutely love this, thank u!
  • sbeezii
    Options
    thank you so much!

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I would, but I don't know where to find it.. where do I get that from?

how do I get started?

I don't even know how to make a plan.

You know what I say? Doing it gets it done.

You definitely aren't alone in these feelings. Perhaps you need counseling? I dunno. But I know that there have been many days when I was depressed and didn't want to exercise and then I made myself do it and I always feel better.

Make a contract with yourself that you will not break. Thing to put in it are that you will go for a walk, every day, for at least 40 minutes. And also put in there that you will not hate on yourself until such and such a date. If you catch yourself hating, remember your contract, Stop hating. Go for a walk.

Eventually you can make your walk a run, or a trip to the gym or whatever.

As for eating.... You just gotta make better choices. Sometimes it's just as easy as spending your sunday making a bunch of healthy food for the week, so when you get the munchies, you have healthy stuff to go for. And I don't mean "sliced carrots" healthy. I mean real food, but healthier- like tamales, or whatever.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Honey, see a counselor or doctor. Your problems sound deeper than eating - it sounds like depression. They can help.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Start small. Stay positive. Try to be patient and not get frustrated. :)
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You have to really want it. Log what you eat. I'm struggling right now but I'm going to start logging again! Feel free to add me. We can help each other! :)
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    Have you considered a 12 step program for eating? Like OA? I did a 12 step program and found it very helpful and it took away my desire/addiction. I got support and guidance and it worked for me. Maybe just maybe it would help you. Otherwise if you think eek no thanks then try teaming up with another friend and motivating each other.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi - you're 25 years old, your photo shows you're really pretty, long blonde hair to die for - you've got everything going for you. Wish I was 25 again - I'm nearly twice your age and I think you shouldn't spend one more summer feeling miserable. You should be out with your mates wearing skimpy little shorts and doing stupid things like all the other 25 year olds.......(my daughter is 20 so I know all about it......!!)

Your motivation is that if you don't seize this NOW, you're going to waste the best time of your life. Why don't you set yourself a target in terms of DATE instead of WEIGHT? For example, if there's a music festival you'd really love to go to this time next year, find out the date, and then decide what you'd REALLY love to be able to wear, and how much weight you'd need to lose to pull the look off. Work towards a tangible goal like that - and just think how you'll celebrate when it comes around and you've made it!

Start now, log everything you eat, and by the time you're 26 you will be soooooo hot your laptop keyboard will melt.

Look forward to reading your success story on here in 2014.

Now get started, and keep us all updated on how you get on! Good luck and much love