Flu Shots? thoughts

Options

Replies

• perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I worked in an Assisted Living facility for 2 1/2 years...every winter all the staff except me and one other gal got the flu shot (as well as the residents)....some staff always harped on us about not getting our shot, which I thought was rude, I never told anyone I didn't get the shot unless I was asked. Anyway, I was the one who did the majority of the cleaning, that means if someone did get sick, I cleaned it up, as well as cleaning all of the bathrooms and apartments.

I did not get the flu, nor did the the other gal who did not get the shot...the majority of the rest of the staff did, in fact one winter EVEYONE but us got the flu.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    As long as my employer keeps paying for them and bringing in a nurse to administer them, I'm getting the shot. My parents are getting older, and my grandfather will be 102 next month. I'm not going to be the person who kills any of them just because I couldn't be bothered to get the shot when it was offered for free right in my office.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I beleive that the flu shot is overused, much like antibiotics. Viruses are extremely adaptable and mutate and I think that the overuse of the vaccine is causing extremely virulent strains of the flu. Just like the superbugs we are seeing in relation to the overuse/misuse of antibiotics.

i think the flu shot should be used as it was in years past for those that would likely suffer the most damaging or life threatening complications from the flu. I work in healthcare and it is becoming mandatory in that setting to prevent possible transmission to immunocompromised patients.

Doesn't work like that with vaccines.

The response isn't the same but viruses will mutate in response to barriers to their transmission. They need a host to proliferate. I am not anti-vaccine at all. The flu vaccine has about a 60% success rate per the CDC and that is for the strains that are included in the vaccine. I don't think it is a bad idea but not extremely effective for the general population.

The way it works with vaccines is that the more people who get vaccinated, the better it works, for everyone. It's called "herd immunity." If the virus doesn't have enough sensitive targets to spread, then no one catches the virus.

I understand how vaccines work. However, the flu vaccine doesn't work like most other vaccines because of antigenic drift. It may provide some herd immunity but nothing in comparison to other vaccinations.

The fact that the flu vaccine is made in advance, based on predictions of which flu strains will predominate, and that it doesn't provide as much protection to each individual as many other vaccines do, makes herd immunity more important, not less important.
    A lot of people with some protection is better at preventing the spread of an epidemic than a few people with a lot of protection. Also, a little protection is better than none. That can mean that you get less sick, or that you only get sick, and don't end up dying from something silly like the flu.
  • Krista916
    Options
    Last year was the first time I have ever had a flu shot (my work required it). I've never had the flu before the shot and I didn't get it with the shot. I'm convinced it's a placebo. :laugh:
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I get one every year, I work with kids (Home daycare for past 10 years) and to date I have been very fortunate and not gotten sick. My son has gotten one every year also.
  • tpelotte
    tpelotte Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My family and I will never get a flu shot. What goes into the flu shot every year is an educated "guess" of what strains are expected to be seen so why would I inject myself and my kids with something that might work? No thank you. I vaccinate my children but I never accept any voluntary extra vaccinations. To each their own.

I totally agree... We just need to all use common sense and use proper hand washing and stay home if we are not feeling well.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten one and don't plan to unless I get pregnant...even then, I'm going to make sure that it's 100% okay for the baby and myself and that I won't have a bad reaction to it. I'm not really educated on it. I am lucky to have good health and have never had the flu, and haven't ever had much more than a bad cold in terms of sickness. So I don't see the need to get it myself.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Last year was the first time I have ever had a flu shot (my work required it). I've never had the flu before the shot and I didn't get it with the shot. I'm convinced it's a placebo. :laugh:

Weird thing, though .. placebos actually work ...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in vaccines of any kind now! I have seen the damage they can do! I wish I had known better and not gotten my 2 older boys vaccinated! My youngest has never had a vaccine and rarely gets sick! If he does it's for a day and then he is off and running again! It is much better to let your body fight things naturally! The more you do, the stronger your body will be!

This is incredibly depressing. I am ashamed for you.
  • baileyaad
    Options
    I'd rather not get a shot that may or may not protect me against a virus. Yes, the flu sucks but the cons seriously outweigh the pros, imo.

Plus, I'll just rely on herd immunity from all of you who choose to get it. :P
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I beleive that the flu shot is overused, much like antibiotics. Viruses are extremely adaptable and mutate and I think that the overuse of the vaccine is causing extremely virulent strains of the flu. Just like the superbugs we are seeing in relation to the overuse/misuse of antibiotics.

i think the flu shot should be used as it was in years past for those that would likely suffer the most damaging or life threatening complications from the flu. I work in healthcare and it is becoming mandatory in that setting to prevent possible transmission to immunocompromised patients.

Doesn't work like that with vaccines.

The response isn't the same but viruses will mutate in response to barriers to their transmission. They need a host to proliferate. I am not anti-vaccine at all. The flu vaccine has about a 60% success rate per the CDC and that is for the strains that are included in the vaccine. I don't think it is a bad idea but not extremely effective for the general population.

The way it works with vaccines is that the more people who get vaccinated, the better it works, for everyone. It's called "herd immunity." If the virus doesn't have enough sensitive targets to spread, then no one catches the virus.

I understand how vaccines work. However, the flu vaccine doesn't work like most other vaccines because of antigenic drift. It may provide some herd immunity but nothing in comparison to other vaccinations.

The fact that the flu vaccine is made in advance, based on predictions of which flu strains will predominate, and that it doesn't provide as much protection to each individual as many other vaccines do, makes herd immunity more important, not less important.
    A lot of people with some protection is better at preventing the spread of an epidemic than a few people with a lot of protection. Also, a little protection is better than none. That can mean that you get less sick, or that you only get sick, and don't end up dying from something silly like the flu.

I understand what you are saying but there seems to be this flippant attitude among many that vaccines are perfect and without risk or other unwanted outcomes.

The CDC is now reporting that we are seeing a rise in Shingles in the elderly and even in young adults and children because of the varicella vaccination now given to all children. Vaccination is a good thing, as is herd immunity but it isn't without future risk. It only took about 20 years for them to recognize the increase in Shingles after the introduction of the varicella vaccine.

Again, I'm not anti vaccine and my family is fully vaccinated minus the flu shot and the HPV vaccine.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No. Never ever had one. My kids have never had one. The H1N1 thing blew up while I was pregnant with my son and I agonized over not getting that shot. I did not get the shot and did not get it (neither did he).

Never had the flu. Kids have not either. DH hasn't either.

I believe in vaccinations (both of my kids are all up to speed on their standard vaccines) but for the flu, I don't think it's necessary for everyone. I may change my mind but that is how I've felt so far.
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    We did once and it WORKED~We got the freaking flu!!!...for 2 weeks I was out of work and the kids were out of school!! Never again.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    Options
    So far, I've never gotten a flu shot and neither have my husband and kids. I pay special attention to our diet during the flu season in an effort to keep our immune systems working properly. I also remind my kids not to touch their faces, to wash their hands often, and avoid coughing/sneezing people. I think this last bit is most important. The world is a cesspool of germs, with too many sick people keeping their daily routine when they should be at home recuperating.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital delivery room where I'm exposed to everything. The amount of people who come to visit patients and are sick are amazing, they don't care that they are exposing a newborn, they just can't wait to see the baby. Last year they started mandating it and will do the same this year. I'd get it anyway. I was one of the first on my unit to get the Swine Flu a few years ago - thanks to the lovely sick people who roll through our doors. I just don't feel it's worth risking, I'm not afraid of needles and don't have any allergies that contraindicate it, so ...
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

If they are immunocompromised, the flu is really the least of their worries.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

This is quite ignorant. What about people with autoimmune diseases who are taking immuno-suppressants? They may not be severely immuno-compromised, but still at risk. Many are active people who work, go to the gym, etc. There are also people who have had transplants, are doing very well and living normal lives, but must take immuno-suppressive medications to help prevent rejection. I could go on...

eta: apologies to lithezebra. I posted before I saw that you had already addressed this (quite well, too). :flowerforyou:
  • pat_asai
    pat_asai Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Working at a hospital, they are required or I have the option to wear a mask for what seems like FOREVER! Last year I declined... I wanted to fight the power.. I personally think they are ineffective and you are prolly more susceptible to contracting the flu with the vaccine. I will play ball this year and get it :P
  • qweenovme
    qweenovme Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    H1N1 (swine flu) during the pandemic in October of 2009 before the vacine was available at work. I work in health care. I no longer wait for my free flu shot at work. I get mine in September every year. I was sick for 32 days and on deaths door (serious). I was no longer able to smoke cigarettes. Cigarette free for almost 4 years!!! I guess almost dying may have saved my life.