Flu Shots? thoughts

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

If they are immunocompromised, the flu is really the least of their worries.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

This is quite ignorant. What about people with autoimmune diseases who are taking immuno-suppressants? They may not be severely immuno-compromised, but still at risk. Many are active people who work, go to the gym, etc. There are also people who have had transplants, are doing very well and living normal lives, but must take immuno-suppressive medications to help prevent rejection. I could go on...

eta: apologies to lithezebra. I posted before I saw that you had already addressed this (quite well, too). :flowerforyou:
    For them to avoid crowded areas and using caution with contact is the most basic of teaching of people who are immunossed status. If they go to the gym depending on tgeir degree they have to wear full gloves. It will vary to the degree but people who are in nadir stage of chemo have an extremely low wbc.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Flu's mostly harmless. Flu shots are a crapshoot anyway. I don't see the point.

Yeah. It just kills an average of 25,000-36,000 people a year and costs about $7 billion in sick days and lost productivity.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in vaccines of any kind now! I have seen the damage they can do! I wish I had known better and not gotten my 2 older boys vaccinated! My youngest has never had a vaccine and rarely gets sick! If he does it's for a day and then he is off and running again! It is much better to let your body fight things naturally! The more you do, the stronger your body will be!

This is incredibly depressing. I am ashamed for you.

Well go ahead , be depressed and be ashamed but not for me or my family! Why is it not possible to state your opinion to the question asked without someone being negative about it? You go right on getting those shots! I will not! To each their own!
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! As a registered nurse, it is important to protect my patients, family members and friends and myself!
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    I stopped getting them when I was 10. Never had the flu.

I don't get why people get angry at the ones who don't get shots because they might spread it. Um, if you had the shots you don't need to worry about that, right? The non shot people should be free to spread it amongst themselves haha.

It's a personal choice. I'm healthy and in my 20's, my immune system is strong and therefore the risk of actually dying from the flu is low. If you are at risk for developing a dangerous case, then by all means, go for it.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone should get the flu shot. It significantly decreases your chances of contracting, and therefore spreading, the flu.

Plus the flu sucks.

QFT
  • neenie122
    Options
    Nope. I don't believe in it, unless you have a weak immune system.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has asthma and a frail, very elderly grandmother. We get our flu shots religiously, and because I would hate to carry those germs and make someone else sick. I don't get them for me, as I'm absurdly healthy.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I always get a flu shot every year. Hardly ever sick and almost always work with someone who gets the flu....the real sick for weeks flu. Knock on wood it seems to always work for me and keeps me healthy through the winter.
  • sk_pirate
    Options
    I'm might get her drunk and take her to the clinic this year.

I've got a pretty solid immune system and I'm not around people who are immunocompromised so I don't really see the need at this time. I've heard arguments for herd immunity but I don't see how it would work with something that changes and evolves every season. To me it's kind of like buying a brand new Iphone when the next generation is coming out in 3 months.

How do you know you're not around anyone who is immunocompromised? We don't have big signs on our heads--we look like everyone else and we go places where everyone else does--grocery store, post office, gym. All it takes is one person shedding virus (and you shed before you have full blown symptoms) to infect us and make us seriously ill.

And I find that most people who say they got the flu when the got the vaccine didn't really get influenza--they got some GI bug that caused vomiting. Real influenza rarely causes vomiting. There is no such thing as "stomach flu!"
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Whoa whoa whoa hang on just a second - I am immunocompromised because of this little thing called asthma. I still consider myself a normal person. I really hope you were joking because I like to interact with other humans :frown:

ETA: My doc has never told me to live in a bubble
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lots of ignorance and paranoia here.

People, get facts, please. Google "VIS influenza" for info on the vaccine, and make an informed decision, not one based on conspiracy theory and "gut feelings".
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Actually, your doctor makes far more money if they have to treat you for the flu. Same for pharmacists better to wait and charge you for a Tamiflu prescription then a $10 shot.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in vaccines of any kind now! I have seen the damage they can do! I wish I had known better and not gotten my 2 older boys vaccinated! My youngest has never had a vaccine and rarely gets sick! If he does it's for a day and then he is off and running again! It is much better to let your body fight things naturally! The more you do, the stronger your body will be!

Well go ahead , be depressed and be ashamed but not for me or my family! Why is it not possible to state your opinion to the question asked without someone being negative about it? You go right on getting those shots! I will not! To each their own!

I don't care if you do, unless you give me the flu.

But your kids? Thank god at least two of your kids got vaccinations. Wait til your other child gets whooping cough or rubella. Have you seen anyone with polio lately? Ever wonder why?
  • sk_pirate
    Options

I still have yet to see you back up your claims.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

If they are immunocompromised, the flu is really the least of their worries.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

Really? I will be sure to call work and tell them I can no longer come in because I am not "normal" and should not be around the general population. I have asthma, compromises my immune system. Funny though, my Dr. seems to think I should live a normal life. BTW my wife has a severely compromised immune system. I got the flu shot as did she but still ended up with her hospitalized because someone at work got the flu and I ended up taking shed virus home to her on my clothing.
  • Lovesthings
    Lovesthings Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wow. So many responses... going to have to read them all later. I personally never get them. My kids either. Haven't had the flu either... and I work in a school.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten it and either have my kids, my mother in law believes in it so much she thinks I am crazy, but she is always sick and so is her other grandchildren that get it, my kids are very seldom sick and nothing to serious, but my kids do get the other vaccines since there is proof those help, but most must be vaccinated since you don't hear about those diseases much. Also I have a home daycare around runny noses and coughing all the time but not me or my kids

my daughter has Asthma and still no problem, and a few of my friends get sick from it, also the flu shot only covers certain flus not all of them and definitely not a cold, our immune system must be very good.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Flu sucks. I get the shot.

This.
    Plus i have Asthma. Bad to get the flu.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Yep to each their own! You go continue to put your kids at risk

There is no reason to conceal negativity toward people whose actions put other people at risk. Sometimes that's the only way people will do the right thing.