9/11/01 Where were you?

Options

Replies

• Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I was in accounting class...first block. I remember not understanding it totally, thinking it was a joke or an accident and then as we were watching tv the second plane hit. I was a freshman and my brother was a senior. We live in ma and we could here the fighter jets and stuff flying around and over. It was scary.
  • jessicadenton30
    Options
    I was pregnant with my first child, sitting on the couch drinking coffee, and watching the Today show waiting to take my Rottweiler to the vet. I watched as they went from confusion about the first plane to panic as the second hit. I spent a week sobbing for all those poor families. When my husband came home from working off, he was like nope. He turned the tv off, and said "No more. You cant die along with them baby." And he helped me cope with what was going on. I felt so helpless because these ppl were hurting and there was nothing I could do but pray for them and the ones they left behind.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Fell asleep with the TV on, I woke up just in time to see the second plane hit. It was surreal.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    9th grade economics class
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    10th grade US history class.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    It was my first year at university and I remember hearing people talking about it in the halls after class. Went straight home and turned on the tv, and wasn't able to look away all day.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Office directing a team of programmers. We were streaming the video live and were shocked and stunned. It was quiet across the cube farm that morning. We tried to see if anyone we knew was working in the section of the Pentagon that got hit. The sad answer was yes. Then we left because no one could think about what we were doing for a while.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I was living in upstate New York getting my daughter ready for school. TV was not on so I had no idea what was going on until the phone started ringing off the hook with friends/family calling to make sure we were ok. I turned on the tv and was glued to it for days. It was heartbreaking and still is. RIP to all of those who lost their lives!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was sitting at home as I was sick on that day. I was home with my mom, dad, and their friend. All of a sudden, everyone starting gasping and freaking out. I had no idea what was going on because I was only about 10 years old. I was saying, "Hey, what happened? Whats going on?" No one would tell me anything! It was on tv though. What a horrible thing to happen. :(
    "
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Home, said I was "sick" ..
    Woke up and turned the television on to see the 2nd plane hit. It was so surreal, I thought I was watching a movie.

I was glued for the entire day, and I remember crying for all of those looking for family members. :heart:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I was 24 and working in a furniture store as a salesperson at that time, and I didn't begin work until 10 am so driving to work is when I heard it on the radio. I was very confused about what was going on as I just heard part of the reports. When I arrived at work, I mentioned it to my boss and coworkers but then realized everyone had been crying or was upset, and they were sitting on a for-sale bed watching TV together. It was a very sad day I will never forget (like most people).
  • minijag06
    Options
    I was stationed in Naples, Italy. Our base was on lock down for 3 days. Once there is an attack, bases go on a high level of security as multiple attacks are likely. Sad, sad day! We will never forget!
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    5th grade, the teacher turned on the new to watch, don't think we really understood at the time.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I was in college in the commons waiting for my first aid class to start. A boy I went to HIgh School with came up from the cafe and told me that a plane had just flown into the twin towers. We went to first aid where the professor told us we could stay and watch the news or we could go. I stayed for the hour then drove to my then fiance's work to tell him. Absolutely tragic and a day that will be forever branded in my mind.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Heard about it in 7th grade health class. Our teacher turned on the TV, but then got a call from the principal that all teachers were to shut off every TV in the building so it didn't cause panic. So we (including teachers) all sat around all day wondering what the hell was happening. Didn't know what actually happened until I got home from school and saw the news. I still think that it was totally ridiculous to cut an entire high school off from knowing what was happening that day.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Sitting in my living room with my then-1 year old. I had just turned the TV on 10 minutes prior and every channel had a burning building on it.

Then the second plane hit.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    In prison listening to a radio station known for its comedy. Was confused over the announcement as I didn't know why they would think that was a joke. Asked one of the guards to turn on the tv and it was all over the news. Heart wrenching .
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I just visited the memorial last month. Very moving. I was at a work meeting at a hotel conference room across the street from the Buffalo, NY airport. The news rippled through all of us and they stopped the meeting and sent us all home. I walked out to see airplanes landing one after another, like within a thousand feet of each other. There was literally a line up in the sky of planes as far as I could see. They were clearing the skies once it became clear what was happening. The airports closed for days afterwards leaving lots of travelers stranded here. I remember local folks taking meals down to them at the airport and bringing strangers home for a shower and a bed for a night. I remember passing a Red Cross donation center that afternoon and seeing over a hundred people lined up out the door and down the street waiting to give blood. What is still so vivid for me was that in the midst of such an evil act, our inherent goodness came through
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I was at home with my three year old and six month old sons, who are now 15 and 13. My husband was still in college. He called me from school and said, Turn on the TV.

At that point the first plane had hit the tower. Then it just continued. It was so horrible. Beyond unspeakable.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    At home, watching on TV...packing my bags.

Thank you for your service :flowerforyou: