Most annoying said by someone who is trying to lose weight.

Options

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I started a ketogenic lifestyle (under 20g of carbs, what many of you have been mocking in this thread so far), ate tons of bacon, eggs, sausage, steak, butter, coconut oil... Ended up losing about 60lbs, 222 to 163.

People said I looked amazing, asked how I did it, if I could help them, and then said they "just couldn't give up cake/donuts/candy/ice cream".

Either that or they said I was gonna "blow out" my kidneys and have a heart attack and get high cholesterol... I then proceeded to email them the scanned PDFs of my blood tests showing the marked improvement all across the chart. Lower bad cholesterol, lower resting heart rate, lower blood pressure...

"YOU'RE GONNA GET SCURVY!" Well, no, a single serving of corned beef brisket has 200% of my daily RDA of Vitamin C. Eat it, tubby.

Sadly, during a very chaotic time recently, I fell off the bandwagon and started eating fast food because I didn't have a place to cook or store food. I regained 25 lbs (back up to 188) and have kept myself scared straight by reading www.reddit.com/r/fatpeoplestories
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I was still going to Weight Watchers, sometimes a meeting would be dominated by one person (not often the same person) and all their "reasons" they couldn't do the program.

One person couldn't get all their water in because... you can't have drinks on the metro here. He did not explain why this prevented him from drinking water any time besides his commute, but ok.

One person couldn't eat breakfast because she doesn't like traditional breakfast foods. Eating lunch-y food in the morning was too shocking for her to even consider -- when the suggestion was made she shook her head vigorously and made a disgusted expression. (Aside: I know you don't have to eat breakfast to lose weight, but this was one of many reasons the program "just wasn't working for [her].")

Same woman couldn't cook healthy meals because her husband liked fried things.

Different woman was bemoaning the fact that her house was full of junk food. She couldn't stop buying it, she had to keep it around "because of [her] kids."

Different woman would be losing weight but she couldn't get started exercising because she used to be quite athletic and was just so sad about how far she had let herself go that it was preventing her from getting back in the saddle. This lady, I probably could have sympathized with, except that she manage to mention in every single meeting how athletic, fit, skinny, and strong she used to be. It almost seemed like she felt like she was better than all of us fatties and wanted to remind us that she didn't really belong there, seeing as how she used to be in great shape and all.

Ok I realize this is less annoying things said and more ridiculous excuses made, but I feel better now that I have written it down.
  • Spiritrose
    Spiritrose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "My Dr. told me not to lose too much weight - it would be difficult on my joints to have no padding." :noway:

I just want to say... I can understand this. I don't know anything about the person who said this... but if they have join problems already I would highly suggest they keep some of that padding. I am 22 and since losing 140 lbs my hips kill me now. The only thing that has changed is the weight loss... so I can sorta see how a doctor might actually say that!

Also, in general.. everybody's definition of what a "little" weight to lose is different. When I was 100+ pounds overweight, a "little" was 40 lbs. Now, a "little" would be 2-3.

I can't speak to your specific hip problem, but it has nothing to do with "padding" from fat. Fat is the only thing you will lose if you have healthy nutrition and exercise habits. Joints move freely because of cartilage, menisci (which is the actual padding) and joint fluid. They need to move in order for that joint fluid to be secreted and for the menisci to distribute nutrients to all the various components of the joint capsule, including the cartilage. A sedentary lifestyle will create pain in your joints and you might be feeling the effects of a formerly sedentary life on your joints now (or it could be something else completely). The fat that surrounds your joints is doing nothing except probably inhibiting them from moving through their normal range of motion and putting them under undue stress.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I hate any type of comment when they called them selves a little chubby or curvy when they are clearly obese or morbidly obese and they also say the need to lose like 30 lbs and that's it when they need to lose at least 100.... reality check please.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I cannot count the times in my life I've been referred to as "skinny *****", both jokingly and seriously. I've been called this despite being 10-40lb overweight the entire time.

"What the ****? Just eat the hamburger, Skinny *****!"
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

From pretty much every person who has ever told me they are trying to lose weight- "I don't want to get to skinny!" Yes because getting to skinny is a problem we all face, lol.

I think people who say this are trying to set up an out in case they fail. "well, I stopped trying to lose weight because I was getting too skinny".
  • smantha32
    Options
    Also big boned just means that your skeletal frame is bigger then someone elses. It however does not mean that all those extra layers of fat are visible because of your bones XD.

QFT!!!
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Someone who recently gained a lot of weight: I'm being really careful what I eat now. I'm trying to lose a little weight.
    *As she eats a meal at Dennys coming in at over 3000 calories
    I look at her food and tell her how many calories are in it. "Well this is my cheat day" "Ummm that meal alone is almost three days worth..."

Or another lady who does shakeology (and constantly tries to recruit people)... To be fair she did lose some. One pant size over a whole year. People ask what I'm doing, not liking my answer say "I think I might try that shakeology thing instead".
  • retroheart48
    retroheart48 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    after doing first time training for a marathon in the making...my bf tells me after all the weeks of me running that he can run faster than me...he said this all while eating a tasty looking club sandwich from mcdonalds while he was sitting at the park watching me struggle....lol

worst part is...we did a mini race and he beat me...UGH haha i love him tho
  • smantha32
    Options
    "It is easier for you to lose weight than it is for me"

yep.......sure is......everything is easier for me......well, because I'm intelligent.

:drinker:
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I used to be a heavier girl (5'3, 180) and now I am 105 ~ it's annoying when people are talking about dietary choices and I give some input and get the, "You've never been fat, what do you know?" attitude.

THIS!!! I was 25 pounds heavier when I was in the military in Hawaii. Now I live in Texas and work a completely different job, and ladies all over the workplace are trying to lose weight. I put my two cents in, and I get attitude like "How would you know how hard it is to lose weight?" Ugh, if people only got out of their box for a second.

I get it the other way. If I try to give someone advice (because they are looking for it), I get the whole "what do you know about weight loss? You're fat" attitude. Yeah, I know I'm fat. Thanks for that. But I have dropped 50 pounds. And I know HOW to do it, even if I don't look like I do.
  • smantha32
    Options
    The most annoying thing I ever heard someone say was I took a fat burner pill so it's okay if I have this cheeseburger haha

Those fat burner pills actually work if you're willing to put up with anal leakage. :noway:
  • smantha32
    Options
    My step mother used to be a LARGE woman, probably pushing 350 pounds and very short. I saw her again a year later (she lives overseas) and she was TINY. I couldn't believe it until I realized she had developed some serious bulimia. I tried to talk to her about it, but she told me, and I quote, "Darling, exercise is for people with low self esteem. You don't need to exercise to lose weight."

Did I mention she told this to me at a plastic surgeon's office? (She gets lipo now regularly.) Yeah, I'm not the one with low self esteem lady.

Well, technically, you DON'T need exercise to lose weight.

What people don't realize about lipo is that if you have fat cells removed from your body and then you gain weight again, the fat will balloon up in weird places because the cells that used to expand are gone.

If you get your stomach and thighs lipo'd and then gain 20 pounds, you could end up with a ton of backfat, or 10 pound cankles.

I know a woman who thinks lipo is a valid weight loss option and her body is starting to look really strange.
  • cbferriss
    Options
    When the women in my town tell me I make them feel guilty every time they seem me jogging. "I should do that." Well....duh..
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that does crossfit once a week, and doesnt watch what she eats, and seems to believe wholeheartedly that she will lose weight and be hot for a cruise she is going on next year. ( her dr specifically told her no high impact until she loses weight bc she has sciatica and arthritis in her knees) I told her to do the elliptical or buy one since it would be cheaper than paying for crossfit classes she isnt even going to regularly, at least until the dr clears you to do heavier works outs. And i get I dont have money or time for that. I mention that I'm getting back into kettle bells bc it should be a little bit easier on my ankle and she says yea, sometimes the easy stuff can work. SINCE WHEN ARE KETTLE BELLS EASY??? :mad:
  • NCFootballCoach
    NCFootballCoach Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like it when people say they need to workout and get healthy so they can be there for their kids when they get older, and then turn and say that they can't workout because they don't have the time because of work.
  • VictoriousLion
    VictoriousLion Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Someone I know, in real life, has really wanted to lose weight for the past 5 years, but she doesn't seem to make an effort. She's always getting some different tablets to help her lose weight from the Doctor and think that is enough for them to lose weight without changing diet or exercising. I've tried to help her by giving suggestions that have worked for me to try, but she won't have any of it and says to me, 'You're not like me. I need to lose more wright. You're just big boned. You wouldn't look right if you lost so much weight, anyway.' Yeah, it's kinda annoying... :D
  • SmarTam
    SmarTam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Someone was chatting with me and she told me that she was not losing weight anymore. I asked her, has she measured and she replied ,"I never measure myself, I just want to get skinny".
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    "this is just what happens to women, it's hormones, duh"

Also annoying: when overweight people get all scientific about how the food I've been eating throughout my 50+ lb weight loss and 2 year maintenance is supposed to make me fat.