Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• jonsey_s
    Options
    Very little extra cals burnt running, and walking on sand is more effective than running on it!

GO WALKING!!!!
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I only walk once or twice a week when someones with me, so your all doing great by me. I've started Kinect sports on the xbox360 which for me knackers me out fast enough, i'd use it longer but by 30 minutes ny backs killing me. The boxing is great fun though.
  • Msdnice
    Options
    LOL....that's why I have 42 videos
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    We live near a park and I walk 40-60 minutes a day. LOVE it. Whatever works and you can stick with it. Go for it.:smile:
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too. Like it's not legitimate exercise, or that it's only good for old geezers with injuries. I'm 26 and I love walking, especially hikes. It's as challenging as you make it, can be done anywhere, even in a small room, and isn't too high impact. Walking is way underrated.
  • playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE advocate of walking. The first time in my life that I lost weight, I lost 145 lbs in 11 months doing no other exercise but walking. Like many, I fell of the wagon and gained weight back...so, back to walking again...and just about everyday, I walk. Around Thanksgiving 2012, I was walking 7 miles every day. Doing about 5-6 everyday now. Walking is a great form or exercise and I know from experience that it burns a ton of calories. I've tried running in the past and found that I just get out of breathe...it kills my back and I don't nearly make 5-7 miles...I just feel like I want to quit right away. But, when I walk, about 15-20 mins into it, I get this burst of something...I just keep going and going...walking 3.5 to 4.2 mph and almost feel like I could never stop. I know strength training is important as well and I want to start up strength training again, but a great cardio workout is walking.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If I can walk instead of driving, then I will!!!! Trying not to be lazy, or take longer walks with my dog!!! Nothing wrong with it, I used to walk 5 miles a day and it helped A LOT!!! I am impatient though so I try to do other things to help me burn calories faster lol
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    People who disregard walking are probably thinking of the leisurely strolls around the neighborhood or shopping at the grocery store or the mall.

I've watch my grandma and my mom both use walking as their primary exercise and, along with reduced calories, take of weight. But their walking is pretty hardcore - 40-60 minutes dedicated to walking at as fast a pace as they can maintain, arms involved and everything. (Not quite the "power walking" races but they are still quite serious about it). I imagine what you're doing is similar.

I guess there's walking and then there's WALKING? :laugh: I'm sorry that your support people haven't picked up on the distinction.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    There is a group here at MFP for walkers using LS DVDs. It is called: "Leslie Sansone Walk At Home".

We have monthly challenges. Besides using Leslie Sansone DVDs, one can also walk the neighborhood outside, on the treadmill, walking with other trainer's walking DVDs, walking at the track, or any other way you mix up your walks during the month. It all counts.... just count your miles and make your own personal challenge and log in. Read the first post of the month for a welcoming introduction.

Keep walking and getting strong and healthy. Good for you for finding a form of exercise that works for you!

:flowerforyou:
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too. Like it's not legitimate exercise, or that it's only good for old geezers with injuries. I'm 26 and I love walking, especially hikes. It's as challenging as you make it, can be done anywhere, even in a small room, and isn't too high impact. Walking is way underrated.
    As a certified (and certifiable) old geezer, I'd like to know where these walk disregarders are so I can smack 'em with my big old lady purse. Also: get off my lawn!
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker, every since I broke two bones in my ankle and due to plates and screws I have in my left leg now, I cannot run because I do not have full bending range in my ankle. So walking is my best exercise.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't know you guys.....buy my support team somewhat sucks when I begin to talk about my cardiovascular choice......WALKING. I do Leslie Sansone EVERYDAY and have seen great results but I hate telling people I WALK....because they never have anything good to say about it......but Leslie is NO JOKE.....I usually have an average HR of 150 and reach highs of 166-168 (94%). So I'm sweating and my heart is getting a workout.

Leslie is the only workout I can truly do and STAY COMMITTED to. I can't commit to others....but I want to celebrate and be proud of my walking choice.....ughhhhh.....any walkers out there with great things to say about it? I really need to hear some good things right about now. I'm having one of those days.

Chin up, and don't let other people pull you down. Walking is fine. I love to walk for exercise. :smile:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Seems like there's always people that'll dis some type of exercise. I say, if it works for you, if you enjoy it and if it is indeed making you fitter, then ignore the naysayers.

I do 3 miles three times a week with my mom, have to keep her healthy too! Then I do Leslie Sansone at home too. Because I like variety I also lift at home, throw in some bike riding, try to do some workouts out of comfort zone too, kickboxing, tabata intervals and calisthenics.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I disregard walking because it doesn't generally get my heart rate up enough for my fitness goals. But the fact that walking doesn't work for me and my goals doesn't mean you should give it up! My wife does an old Leslie Sansone walking video and she loves it. It gets her to about 75% MHR by the end of it. So who am I to tell her it's a waste of her time?

Do what works for you: keep on walking!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sansone walks. I do all the ones on youtube for free. The boosted walking is great, gets my heart rate up and makes me sweat.

I do the hour long ones usually but if I don't have much time she does anywhere from 1 to 5 miles, so no excuses. I have lost 57lbs doing Leslie walks. So, I am with you on this one
  • Msdnice
    Options
    Exactly!!!!! You feel me....ughh
  • thezorb
    thezorb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Leslie Sansone, but if her vids work for you, then rock it! Walking is low on the exercise totem pole only by people who don't do it. I sometimes hike Lake Miramar in San Diego, which is about 4 mi with all of the cut outs, which are all steeply uphill, in about 1:20--I'm exhausted afterwards! Walking is great exercise--don't let anyone tell you different. :smokin:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have always walked a lot and I managed to get fat anyway. Maybe I'd have gotten twice as fat without it, who knows, but for me, walking is just an incidental part of my day, not my exercise routine.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    also in for the walking. My wife and I walk 3.5 miles together 3-4 times per week, and we'll hike a few miles on the weekends. I also enjoy running and am working towards getting my cardiovascular (and shin!) strength up to be able to actually run a whole 5k. But they're two different types of exercise. Walking is relaxing, we can talk about whatever since neither of us is out of breath, and we just get to enjoy the scenery and the company as we go. Running for me is more like conquering a challenge. My HRM says I burn more when I run (my HR gets up into the 180s versus *maybe* 130 walking uphill when it's warm outside) but it's not so much of a difference to make me discount walking.

I say if you enjoy it, do it. I know it has helped me lose weight.
  • Msdnice
    Options
    I expected rudeness.....you are the ignorance I speak of.....THANK YOU for proving my point.