I Ate 1500cals at Once Last Night - WTH?

Options

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with that. When u have a low blood sugar, you're brain doesn't function properly. You can cry, laugh and get mad all in 2 minutes together. But u do know that you have to eat to get your sugar back up and sometimes diabetics go crazy and eat alot to get the sugar up. To avoid this, drinking oj or apple juice works best because it works fast. Last night i didn't have access to that.

I'm not hypoglycemic or nothin, but I'm pretty sure that having low blood sugar doesn't mean you need to eat until you puke.

Ur right, it doesn't BUT it's really hard to control when u are basically out of your mind - a fellow diabetic would understand completely.

I had gestation diabetes..and I know what this feels like, but I ALWAYS kept glucose tablets in my purse for that. Plan it.

Don't let this become another excuse for your disordered eating.
  • rsbremiller
    Options
    Another thing that might help is keeping processed foods out of the house. I have noticed you eat a fair amount of Butterball turkey and packaged snacks. If convenience food wasn't there you probably wouldn't binge.

buttleball turkey is considered a processed meat? i know it's not fresh from a farmer but still!

Unles you're cooking it yourself, it's a processed meat... sorry to break it to you. There's ALL sorts of chemicals (nitrates, flavors, other preservatives) in deli meat. Best bet is to bake your own turkey breast on Sunday night and slice it up for the week.
    Even on days I overeat my calorie allotment, I try to honestly log what I ate for two reasons. Number 1 - trigger foods. Number 2 - I'm not ashamed to admit my foods that were eaten. I'm human, and am not perfect all of the time. [...] It's life, and it happens. :ohwell:

It's life, and it's our decisions, and we must own them. I made the decision to eat take-out chinese with my BF last night. It was my decision not to cook something. Today, I'm working my way out of eating my entire day's worth of calories for dinner last night and planning for a healthy weekend.
    ... Other than that, I can say that i should have been prepared with juice for quick action then proceeded with a healthy snack to keep the blood sugar up. ...

At the end of the day, it's all about being prepared. Prepared for having healthy options in your life, and for things to go wrong. (Think of it as the diet version of doomsday preppers...) :wink:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Shh. Don't let these negative nellies get you down.

You've gotta ignore the folks who are just trying to get a rise out of you, and just focus on the people giving you positive support. I won't be satisfied until I see your success story thread!!

Now c'mere and give me a hug! :heart: :heart:

tumblr_mrsd2crIPM1rxmg68o1_500.gif
  • lori_king
    Options
    you might already know this, but i'll say it anyway. you should be eating 3 meals a day and snacks in between to keep your sugar from spiking and dipping. it's those dips and spikes that keeps the weight on. That would help with the binging too.

I've had both low and recently high blood sugar. That's why i'm here logging what I eat and trying to take control now. Good luck
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    The problem here isn't that you ate 1800 calories in one sitting, thus blowing by your goal.

The problem is that you're not taking responsibility for it. You're blaming it on low blood sugar, which is absurd. You "weren't in your right mind" or "when you have low blood sugar you need to eat" or whatever.

No. You messed up and binged. It had nothing to do with your blood sugar. You decided to stuff your face. Own that decision.

Take someone's insulin to get a low blood sugar and u will know what i mean. Other than that, I can say that i should have been prepared with juice for quick action then proceeded with a healthy snack to keep the blood sugar up. And to clear things up, IT HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY LOW BLOOD SUGAR. IF MY SUGAR DIDN'T GO LOW I WOULDNT HAVE EATEN ANYTHING AT ALL.

Ok. Well it's not your fault and it's obviously uncontrollable. Maybe you should hire an assistant to physically restrain you from eating 1800 calories next time you get low blood sugar.

Good luck Barabara. You aren't responsible for the action.

Too a certain extent, she's not. Yes, things could have happened before hand to keep her blood sugar more stable but bottoming out happens. When it does it's less a binge and more of a panic response to eat whatever you can until you feel better.
    She has made 1 if not 2 other threads stating she over did it on insulin and binged out of control. Now I understand these things happen but the answers to her questions will not change. If nothing else she needs to be more careful with her insulin since it is extremely dangerous to OD on it.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    While being hypoglycemic doesn't mean a person needs to eat until they puke it does alter their brain function and they can be incapable of making rational choices. Depending on how low a person goes they can go into coma/die. So when a person is low and they know it all they want to do is get the blood sugar up quickly, making reasonable choices is not always possible at that time.

That being said, you might want to keep oj or apple juice around for these events. Or even ensure - something that can be stored easily until needed. An ensure would provide the quick sugar but some added protein to help your blood sugar stabilize. If you need a little more sugar quickly you can add a packet or spoon of sugar to the ensure.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here's some advice from a fool without the experience of the conditions that you're going through. It's free though, and worth every penny of that!
    First of all, I know why I did it. I got a low blood sugar from too much insulin taken (Im T1 diabetic) and I lost control for treating the low. I went wayyy over board and wasn't thinking right. The only thing on my mind was stuff face until this "low" feeling went away. I know thats not how im supposed to do it but hey, i am still human and i did it.
    (edited to pay better attention to OP comments about cause)
    Figure out why, and prevent that. How do you end up taking "too much" insulin? Bad measuring thingy? Bad food records so you don't really know how much you need? Are there tables you use that aren't quite right for your body? What's the gig?

Browsing a couple of days in your food diary, I didn't notice a lot of complex carbs. Would they help create steadier body conditions and make dosing easier, or are they off limits? Maybe cut oats cooked with eggs for breakfast so you don't get tempted to put sweet stuff on them?
    Now, what im wondering is 1500 cal overload gonna set me back anyway?
    Yes. It will set you back by 1500 calories.
    Like have to wait a week longer to reach my goal or just screw it and move on - nothing i can do?
    I don't see the "or" here, just an "and". It sets you back some number of days. Screw it and move on, you can't fix the past, only the future.

Having kids in school, I am very familiar with juices in boxes and bags that store for essentially forever and don't need refrigeration. If you get more whenever you get below, I dunno... maybe six of them, then you'll always have at lest six on hand. Will that help? Small, convenient, store forever. Keep a half dozen in the house and carry one or two with you during the day to remind you to eat regularly enough that you won't need to use them?

And don't restock the Horrible Food That Shall Not Be Named (I'll presume it was a thick crust white pizza with anchovies and chocolate chips) that you're so worried about from last night? Maybe prunes instead. If you OD on them, you get sugar reasonably quickly, and a free bowel scrubbing to boot.

Create the opportunity that you would rather have.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Unles you're cooking it yourself, it's a processed meat... sorry to break it to you. There's ALL sorts of chemicals (nitrates, flavors, other preservatives) in deli meat. Best bet is to bake your own turkey breast on Sunday night and slice it up for the week.

Huh????? I did cook the butterball turkey myself.......
    Another thing that might help is keeping processed foods out of the house. I have noticed you eat a fair amount of Butterball turkey and packaged snacks. If convenience food wasn't there you probably wouldn't binge.

buttleball turkey is considered a processed meat? i know it's not fresh from a farmer but still!

Even on days I overeat my calorie allotment, I try to honestly log what I ate for two reasons. Number 1 - trigger foods. Number 2 - I'm not ashamed to admit my foods that were eaten. I'm human, and am not perfect all of the time. [...] It's life, and it happens. :ohwell:

It's life, and it's our decisions, and we must own them. I made the decision to eat take-out chinese with my BF last night. It was my decision not to cook something. Today, I'm working my way out of eating my entire day's worth of calories for dinner last night and planning for a healthy weekend.
    ... Other than that, I can say that i should have been prepared with juice for quick action then proceeded with a healthy snack to keep the blood sugar up. ...

At the end of the day, it's all about being prepared. Prepared for having healthy options in your life, and for things to go wrong. (Think of it as the diet version of doomsday preppers...) :wink:
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    To answer your question in the op 1500 cals will set you back 1500 cals. If you have a 500 cal daily deficit that is 3 days.

/thread

OMG but that's just too effing logical! That can't be it. There's no room for excuses and self loathing. The pity party just got started. You can't come in here with your logic and shut it down!
    I'm sorry, soooo sorry!:flowerforyou:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and delete the "Quick Add Calories" and actually log what it was you ate last night. Be more accountable to yourself.

NO! I don't want too. It bothers me what I ate. I need to try my best to avoid lows because they are what cause my bingeing.

yes but theres another quote "the truth will make you free".. you cant be afraid of seeing what you did. it will help you later when you go back and see what happened when you ate that way. If you need to relax about food, then thats what you can do - focus on finding more peace about things, and that will take care of the problem about being too scared to write the truth.

When a scarey thought comes into your mind, you have to answer back in a calm more reasonable way. not to react by panicking.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I ate 1040 in one sitting last night. An entire big bag of dill pickle chips.

tumblr_miedz5bO6v1s10m6fo1_250.gif
    We must be related. Dill pickle chips are the best. :love:

they are AWESOME! :bigsmile:
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Some one said that if i cook the meat myself then it's not processed???? My butter ball turkey was cooked by me......the only way i see that turkey processed is from the grocery store packing it and maybe some added preservatives. i dunno???
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    if you know youre going to panic or possibly panic, then you have to try to prevent that from happening.

Whatever it takes, learn what you need to keep from going there, and then prepare for it, and do it. then the freak out wont happen.

problem solved!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I ate 1040 in one sitting last night. An entire big bag of dill pickle chips.

tumblr_miedz5bO6v1s10m6fo1_250.gif
    We must be related. Dill pickle chips are the best. :love:

they are AWESOME! :bigsmile:

Ketchup chips are sooooooooooooooooooooooo much better!!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Some one said that if i cook the meat myself then it's not processed???? My butter ball turkey was cooked by me......the only way i see that turkey processed is from the grocery store packing it and maybe some added preservatives. i dunno???

Seriously, who cares if it's "processed"?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Other than the diabetes do you have any diagnosed illnesses? Your hyperfocus on clean eating, your self-flagellation, and your forum posts all concern me.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

If you didn't raise the animal and kill the it yourself, then it's processed. I think that's what the previous poster meant.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The problem here isn't that you ate 1800 calories in one sitting, thus blowing by your goal.

The problem is that you're not taking responsibility for it. You're blaming it on low blood sugar, which is absurd. You "weren't in your right mind" or "when you have low blood sugar you need to eat" or whatever.

No. You messed up and binged. It had nothing to do with your blood sugar. You decided to stuff your face. Own that decision.

This...and add in the OP says "NO" to logging all food like that's going to change things. The most irrational post I've seen this week. Sorry, OP, but no amount of denial or whining will help you in your weight loss journey. We all blow it, and those who are determined to lose the weight and regain their health get back up on the horse and continue on. Taking the denial track is a waste of time. Just forgive yourself, commit to being responsible, and keep a bottle of juice handy to prevent this from happening again (learning from our mistakes is part of being successful).
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Why are you ignoring the posts to join the groups for diabetics?