Why do people disregard walking?

Replies

• Walking is so easy!

Walking is my main form of exercise. I found if I break it up through out the day

2 miles in the morning, 2 miles at lunch, I get the best results.

I love to walk and I am down 72 pounds.

Being healthier lends it self to walking.

And it saves time!! I live in NYC I now can walk some place faster than waiting for the bus or train to come. Instant work out.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    I don't know or care why people disregard walking. I walk about 3 hours each day I go to classes and I can walk up to 5 hours on days I am not in class. So, I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I don't go crazy of course and eat a whole pizza, but walking definitely means I can have a slice or two. It means I can have ice cream if I want. I can have waffles for breakfast if I want. Otherwise in order to lose weight I would have to eat mostly vegetation and tofu both of which I like, but I want some leeway with my calories so I will literally walk for food.
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    I am too out of shape to run or even jog so I walk. Honestly walking still kicks my butt, Walking is still better then sitting on the couch.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Wow, Hollis! I knew you were doing lots of walking but only buying gas once since April? Way to go!!!!!

Hey, fultimers! :drinker: Yes, I've just bought gas for my car once since April of this year. Leaving my car in the driveway and walking everywhere was a great decision. Now I have to think about walking in the winter since we get ice here. I might end up buying a small treadmill for my house.
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    I lost weight in the past by just walking as my exercise. It's is a great workout. I have knee issues now and can only walk for brief amounts of time. So, I use my stationary bike a lot.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    This thread has me inspired. I'm going to start walking to and from work ( an hour each way )

Why not? September has beautiful colours and cool breezes here, and I can still go to the gym and do some weights.

I think everyone should do what works for them, and just find as many extra ways to get moving in a day and all will be well.

You can lose a lot of weight walking to and from work. Plus it really puts you in touch with life... nature, people, the environment. So much more interesting than riding past everything in a car.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Leslie Sansone has pretty much changed my life. I was so terribly out of shape...but my mom recommended her DVD and gave me one to try. I could barely get through one of the simplest miles. When I realized how I could barely get through 15 minutes of "walking", I could see that I really needed a change. Luckily, I also enjoyed the work out...which though for me it was a challenge, I became addicted and used her DVDS on a regular basis. From there I did Turbo Jam and then now I can do Turbo Fire.

I owe a lot of where I am at today because of Leslie. :D
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Why are people so dismissive? I guess they just want to be right. Whether you're walking, running, punching the air, kicking your legs, waddling like a duck, calories burned is calories burned. Whatever gets you moving is awesome!! I do water aerobics and I feel like I want to keep it a secret from people (well, not on MFP) because everyone is "lifting" these days and I'm not necessarily doing that (although we use resistance paddles and weights and such). I also hula dance and no one is going to tell me to stop!! In fact, it's the hula that is inspiring me to exercise more!!! I hope you walk to your hearts content and congrats on finding what exercise you enjoy!!
  • SInce i have 2 year old all i can really do is walk. I manage to get a 3 mile walk during my lunch hour! No excuses for me now. I easily meet my 10000 steps each day with the walk and use the fitbit to help track that. Most days i average 11000-12000!
  • I HAVE BEEN WALKING SLOW ON A REGULAR BASIS AND DRINK LOTS OF WATER AND HAVE LOST 43 LBS SINCE JUNE 12TH....WORKS FOR ME.
  • I'm English, but when I went to the US I noticed that not many people walk anywhere.
    Did you also notice we're one of the fattest nations? Correlation perhaps?:smile:
    the US is much more spread out, and with such varying climate that in many parts walking to work, school, etc. is just not feasible for most people. I'm fortunate enough to live in a small town where I can actually walk to most things I need (except work, that's 28 miles away) but I still have to walk at least 1.5 miles to get to any stores or restaurants. I do it, and I enjoy it. but we are a car commuter culture. Yes, I do blame that in part for our high rate of obesity... but I'm doing my part to lower that rate by a smidgeon ;)
    We are spread out. By our own doing. Many european communities have challenging weather, yet they walk. We are a car culture, for sure. I live in a medium sized city with mediocre mass transit. I walk to stores, restaurants, and work (usually I ride, actually). I ride the bus (which then means walking) as much as possible. It all adds up. Good for you!

I think the mass transit is what makes the difference - you walk to the bus or train stop and then around wherever you're going, and of course sometimes you walk to a different station than you started at.

Personally, I don't log the incidental walking around town doing errands, but if I spend a day in London walking all over I'll log it, or on the days when I walk instead of running, cycling etc then I will log it.
    I was in London in July with my fitbit and was averaging over 23,000 steps a day. Not a lot of fat folks on the London Tube that's for sure.

My father's grandmother used to say: "Pah, London! Makes your feet hurt!"
  • I love walking. I've ran into some trainers that have bashed it and wanted me to run and do more HIIT stuff. I walk because I enjoy it. I can't spend hours doing HIIT, nor can I jog/run with my bad knees. To each their own. Walking is one of my favourite forms of cardio.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Why are people so dismissive? I guess they just want to be right. Whether you're walking, running, punching the air, kicking your legs, waddling like a duck, calories burned is calories burned. Whatever gets you moving is awesome!! I do water aerobics and I feel like I want to keep it a secret from people (well, not on MFP) because everyone is "lifting" these days and I'm not necessarily doing that (although we use resistance paddles and weights and such). I also hula dance and no one is going to tell me to stop!! In fact, it's the hula that is inspiring me to exercise more!!! I hope you walk to your hearts content and congrats on finding what exercise you enjoy!!
    To some, if it's not "lifting heavy" it isn't worth doing. To others, if it's not "P90X Ripped Insanity" it's not worth doing. Folks tend to see this process through their own myopic lens I guess.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I love walking. I've ran into some trainers that have bashed it and wanted me to run and do more HIIT stuff. I walk because I enjoy it. I can't spend hours doing HIIT, nor can I jog/run with my bad knees. To each their own. Walking is one of my favourite forms of cardio.
    Actually, Dr. Arthur Agagston (of the South Beach Living books) has a HiiT walking program designed by an exercise physiologist in his latest "South Beach Supercharged" book. I read it. Pretty well thought out as best I can tell.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    My lovey and I go for 4 mile walks together all the time. I also walk sometimes on my lunchbreak. 30 min walk= 100 calories burned (2 pounds in 12 weeks) just sayin
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    I found a great online calorie burning calculator that I think is more accurate than what MFP says. I have the app on my cell phone and use that.
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • I specifically meant walking as a chosen form of exercise, not a regular means of locomotion. And this is a forum for positive messages of encouragement, not snide remarks and bad attitudes. Kindly direct your patronizing sarcasm where it's welcome
  • People disregard any lifestyle choice that they haven't practically experienced the results off. My dad is a heart patient and has taken amazing care of himself just by walking after dinner every day. I'm a big cardio fan at the gym, but even on days I can't get into the gym I walk around the mall, or back and forth from school. I avoid taking a car or the bus unless its really lousy weather. You can easily fit walking into your day, even a trip to the grocery store by foot adds up a lot in the long run. Tried and tested :) Don't give up on what works for you and tune out the naysayers
    The normal means of locomotion for humans is a lifestyle choice? Is that as an alternative to crawling or something? Are there millions of people who crawl everywhere they go instead? Or do they crabwalk?

I specifically meant walking as a chosen form of exercise, not a regular means of locomotion. And this is a forum for positive messages of encouragement, not snide remarks and bad attitudes. Kindly direct your patronizing sarcasm where it's welcome
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    I'd like to be able to take one of the vacations where walking is a part of the program...especially the one in Provance that involves walking tours and cooking lessons! Hopefully the exercise would balance out the calories consumed! :wink:
  • I walk just about every day. I try to get about 2 miles in on my lunch break, which is more of a power walk when I walk with my coworkers and then I take the dog out in the evenings. Sometimes it's more of a slow, meditative walk, other times its more than that. I haven't seen much in terms of physical results from walking, but I have seen my mood and mental health increase by leaps and bounds since I started making walking a part of my day.

I say to each their own, and stick with what works.