• iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I needed that.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I needed that.

Hiya Tweeb.......looking good! I really needed this and it worked!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I wanted to share something that has helped me, not only with dieting, but in life in general...

In the book, "You! On a Diet" it says, (and I paraphrase) if you slip up (say eat 1/2 a cake or go for an extra slice of pizza) simply make a "U-Turn." It likens it to the GPS system in your car... if you miss a turn, it doesn't say... well, you've screwed up now, you might as well go all the way in the wrong direction. No. Instead it says, at your next possible opportunity, make a U-Turn.

Using this logic, there is no longer such a thing as a "gateway" food or an excuse to give up. Because if you screw up, just make a U-Turn and get back on the right course.

Right this very moment!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've seen this post, but I see it's been around for a while. I see why - I love it! Thanks for keeping it alive! :flowerforyou: U-turn, that is awesome!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    uturnsmallest.png

...and no "bumps" in the road should keep you from your chosen path!!!!!!!! I really love this post.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I got the email in my box today. I remember it was posted but I'll just post it again

Made a Mistake? Make a YOU-Turn

Have you enjoyed a few forkfuls of a coworker's cake or picked at your friend's fries? That's OK.

You're going to make wrong turns. You're going to be tempted by not-so-good-for-YOU foods. Does that mean you should steer off the dietary cliff and fall into the fatty crevasse of destructive eating? Of course not. Instead of falling into a defeatist mentality by drop-kicking healthy eating the moment you make one bad choice, confront it. How?

Repeat the YOU Diet Mantra:

"At the next available moment, make an authorized YOU-turn."

Say it three times, put down the tub of cookie dough, and get back on the right road.

Regain Control
    What kills any regimen of healthy eating isn't the occasional brownie or slice of pizza; it's the cascade of behavior that happens after the initial indulgence. Use the YOU Diet Mantra to steer yourself back -- and understand that you can make mistakes, but that you can correct them with some nonjudgmental coaxing. Why does it work?

* It gives you a mental crutch to carry when you're faced with difficult eating situations.
    * It reminds you to be confident, to be positive, to know that the harm isn't in the first mistake, it's in not figuring out how to deal with it.

Learn five simple ways to protect your emotional well-being.

Reference: YOU: On a Diet. Roizen, M. F., Oz, M. C., New York: Simon & Schuster, 2006.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thank you Ivy. Bummmmmp.

uturnsmallest.png
  • cmriverside
    Options
    uturnsmallest.png

yep. it's time again.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    bump
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Great way to think! Sometimes I'll eat something I know I shouldn't and then I think "oh well, already messed up for today, might as well go all out and stuff my face" :laugh:

I'll be thinking about your post when I do mess up, thanks.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it helps Ang!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    bumpage
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,952 Member
    Options
    Made a Mistake? Make a YOU-Turn

Have you enjoyed a few forkfuls of a coworker's cake or picked at your friend's fries? That's OK.

You're going to make wrong turns. You're going to be tempted by not-so-good-for-YOU foods. Does that mean you should steer off the dietary cliff and fall into the fatty crevasse of destructive eating? Of course not. Instead of falling into a defeatist mentality by drop-kicking healthy eating the moment you make one bad choice, confront it. How?

Repeat the YOU Diet Mantra:

"At the next available moment, make an authorized YOU-turn."

Say it three times, put down the tub of cookie dough, and get back on the right road.

Regain Control
    What kills any regimen of healthy eating isn't the occasional brownie or slice of pizza; it's the cascade of behavior that happens after the initial indulgence. Use the YOU Diet Mantra to steer yourself back -- and understand that you can make mistakes, but that you can correct them with some nonjudgmental coaxing. Why does it work?

* It gives you a mental crutch to carry when you're faced with difficult eating situations.
    * It reminds you to be confident, to be positive, to know that the harm isn't in the first mistake, it's in not figuring out how to deal with it.

Learn five simple ways to protect your emotional well-being.

Reference: YOU: On a Diet. Roizen, M. F., Oz, M. C., New York: Simon & Schuster, 2006.

I definately need a UTurn. Starting it right now!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yep! as the original poster (hi, Tim!) said:
    I wanted to share something that has helped me, not only with dieting, but in life in general...

In the book, "You! On a Diet" it says, (and I paraphrase) if you slip up (say eat 1/2 a cake or go for an extra slice of pizza) simply make a "U-Turn." It likens it to the GPS system in your car... if you miss a turn, it doesn't say... well, you've screwed up now, you might as well go all the way in the wrong direction. No. Instead it says, at your next possible opportunity, make a U-Turn.

Using this logic, there is no longer such a thing as a "gateway" food or an excuse to give up. Because if you screw up, just make a U-Turn and get back on the right course.

His mental picture has really stuck with me. (Men are so visual!)

I live in Western Washington. If I were to take a trip to, say, Spokane, WA- I would drive East.

If I found myself at the Idaho State line, would I turn around, knowing that Spokane was in Washington? Or would I keep on driving until I hit New Jersey, because "Oh, well, I already screwed up, I may as well keep going until I DRIVE INTO THE OCEAN!"

D'oh. :wink:
  • dietingsucks
    Options
    i really like that thought train

i know for myself when i've binged or even if i just overeat, i pretty much always head in the wrong direction for the rest of the day

I catch myself doing just the opposite... I look for ways to punish myself -- then beat myself up for THAT too!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Bumping for Mother's Day!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :glasses:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump