What Machine is your favourite?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells range from 5lbs to 95lbs at my gym and the women who use free weights are generally looking for 5,10,15lb units. Most tend to be in use. Plate free weights have limited use as any type of chest press-35lb olympic bar Plus weights is too much for most starting females. I would write "all" but there is always an exception.

Machines are better for women to start on. Even men actually and there are many options to rows, pulldowns and leg work. Most folk with free weights use too much and have poor form.

Start with machines until you are confident and hard.

OP, be careful not to step in this bullsh1t.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and YouTube are your friends. If you want to start lifting, do it right.

ETA: starting with machines does nothing for you when you move on to free weight exercises.

Thank you...I was gonna have to straighten this one out. To be frank I am not te exception any longer I am the rule. I didn't start off with an empty bar it was to light. I started with 60lbs and it's still too light but I will work my way up. I don't use machines at all. As for the 5lb weights..those are added not used indivdually.

SL 5x5 is great and there is a good group here for woman who are interested.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

I have a family the OP will decide for herself and either report back how things went or not.

But there really have not been an shining examples in the pro-free weight crowd here to emulate.

yet, another reason not to use personal trainer...

or fire that one and hire one who helps you where you want to be...not insists on their way.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

Well your trainers suck. Bodyweight exercises are fine for newbies but I have never started anyone (man or woman) on machines. In fact, I rarely use them at all unless there's a good reason to. Why, if there's not a good reason, would I have a client be stuck in a position on a machine which moves your muscles & joints in an unnatural way when I can have them standing up, stabilizing themselves, and using weights with a natural range of motion?

Honestly most people who use machines are uneducated, feel machines are "safe" and easy to use, or in the case of a lot of women they are too intimidated to go over to the free weight area of the gym either because they don't know what to do or are afraid that everyone is the gym is there to stare at them.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for lifting stats...

Anyhow, my favorite machines are the pec deck and the leg press.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Lifting stats from me? Why? This is about the OP, a female, asking for favorite machine. I responded to someone who criticized free weights. After that it turned into a furball as folks input their biases, neurosis,etc.

I am visibly fit. Not some porker with prison/circus tats.

And I'm stronger than you, and know more about lifting than you do.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do not care about the first part if true and doubt the second part.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I do not care.

JSW
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lifting stats from me? Why? This is about the OP, a female, asking for favorite machine. I responded to someone who criticized free weights. After that it turned into a furball as folks input their biases, neurosis,etc.

No....lots of people disagreed with you and you decided to make personal attacks, as you have here. It is the sign of someone who cannot debate, use critical thinking or come up with a reasonable argument to their stance....or of someone who is compensating for something.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I do not care about the first part if true and doubt the second part.

lolol - with the comments you made, my grandmother probably knows more about lifting than you.
  • UCSMiami
    Options
    Acutally I only criticized those who made it personal. Otherwise I provided examples. Read through the mess above again and you will see I am correct.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Acutally I only criticized those who made it personal. Otherwise I provided examples. Read through the mess above again and you will see I am correct.

Personal attacks are personal attacks. Defend your stance with what you think to be the merits of your opinion, not with insults to people's physiques.

ETA: *waits for post calling me fat*
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Generally I prefer free weights but I prefer to use these at home, in the gym I like the Lat puldown best followed by Leg Press x
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My body
  • UCSMiami
    Options

Personal attacks are personal attacks. Defend your stance with what you think to be the merits of your opinion, not with insults to people's physiques.

I did since the first instance.

I see on average 50 males in the weight room on a normal 530-715pm workout. Maybe 1 female; then Hammer equipment is all male; Life-fitness machines, of which there are two-three redundancies are 70% female, 30%male.(latter primarily pulldowns or rows) This is my regular gym I have been attending for years. I take the young females from work there, appear similar to the OP as stated, and they unanimously prefer machines and abs related exercises. Easier to start on.

This has been the pattern for years. There is a reason for the consistency.

NB: You have taken a few shots at me, but I do note you earned your body. No complaints on my part.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

You referenced 6 months as not being enough to know much about lifting, so I asked how long you've been lifting and how strong you are to see if you what you're saying is worth any attention by the same argument.

Call it a personal attack and just stay ignorant if you want, makes no difference to me.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For all of you strong ladies suggesting there is no use for machines, your first day at the gym did you head straight for the squat rack? Did you never use any machines when you started? If you did that is awesome.

I only use a select few machines these days as I found found love for free weights and the barbell. However, when I first started a year ago I would never have considered jumping into the squat rack or free weight area of the gym the day I joined. It was scary, indimidating. I stalked women from a far that were doing weights (not creepy i swear, just observing:)), did a lot of research online searching bodybuilding.com for workouts, correct form and started with a generic base of machines and dumbells.

OP, IMO machines are not useless but once you start to work with free weights you will likely never go back! If there is a trainer at your gym who gives free fitness consultations (mine offered that) they may be able to get you started. Stong Lifts and other programs alike are great but if you are anything like me it was hard to start there.

ETA - to answer your question my fav machines now are lat pull down, seated low row and assisted chin up/dip. Those are the only ones I still use.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I use all free weights, but I do like the leg press.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I used all free weights, but I do like the leg press.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I am my very own favourite machine.

I'd suggest you start off with free weights rather than machines. Start light, get your form right and move up.

ditto
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Lifting stats from me? Why? This is about the OP, a female, asking for favorite machine. {b}I responded to someone who criticized free weights{/b}. After that it turned into a furball as folks input their biases, neurosis,etc.

Actually, no you didn't respond to anyone because you don't seem to know how to use the quote feature. And your responses were sexist and demeaning in tone, and your constant insults to other poster's bodies pretty much take away any and all credibility you may think you have with anyone here. So I believe that you need to provide some sort of lifting stats to somehow back up your smack talk.