Gaining muscle while losing weight

Options

Replies

• LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    The only thing that makes this better is that it's Tuesday where I am. Which means the day extended itself for my benefit.
    Or it rides on American time and is just, like, mean...and stuff.
    This thread's been interesting. 5% answering the question, 94% putting my noob gains in their place.
    I am Señora Nubganzo!
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    The only thing that makes this better is that it's Tuesday where I am. Which means the day extended itself for my benefit.
    This thread's been interesting. 5% answering the question, 94% putting my noob gains in their place.
    I am Señora Nubganzo!
    And apparently 1% something-or-other, probably orgies.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I am Señora Nubganzo!
    Wait, what was the question?
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    We're talking orgies here and you're thinking about the long forgotten question?
    Priorities, woman.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    What??!! No butthurt!!!!!!!!

I demand some butthurt!!!!!!

( well not like THAT)
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Hm. It was neither a compliment nor an insult. Except perhaps a statement of some degree of misogyny on my part that I would automatically assume you're a cooldudebro simply because of your tact. So, I insulted myself.

Regarding your question:
    How do you measure weight lost when you're putting on muscle? I put on muscle incredibly easy, specifically in my lower body.

You measure weight loss by standing on the scale and subtracting your present weight from your previous weight. That is how you calculate your weight lost.
    You can measure your fat loss by calculating your body fat %, and lean body mass %, the sum of which is 100% and is your weight.
    Your lean body mass is comprised of all non-fat tissue, fluid, etc.
    Thus if you wish to calculate your fat loss, you need to measure your change in body fat percentage, and then . . . do the math (he says with a hand-wave that he hopes no one notices.)
    However I'm overweight and need to lose at least 20lbs, but the scale isn't really shifting.
    I've lost 5.5 inches off my body in the past week though.
    I don't know where those inches have come from; some may be bloat lost from lowering your sodium, thus requiring less water to maintain a proper osmotic balance, thus having less water weight and less body volume.

But really just eat sensibly and work out and then send me nude photographs of yourself for frequent scientific measurement and advice.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Thus if you wish to calculate your fat loss, you need to measure your change in body fat percentage, and then . . . do the math (he says with a hand-wave that he hopes no one notices.)

(Starting Weight * Starting BodyFat% / 100) - (Current Weight * Current BodyFat% / 100) = Fat Loss
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

(Starting Weight * Starting BodyFat% / 100) - (Current Weight * Current BodyFat% / 100) = Fat Loss

Exactly, precisely what I've already very clearly and thoroughly explained, really to the point that I'm somewhat offended that you'd even repeat it; nearly plagiarism, sir! I demand satisfaction!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    How do you measure weight lost when you're putting on muscle? I put on muscle incredibly easy, specifically in my lower body.

You're probably not putting on muscle.

About 1.5% of the human population has the genetic variant that allows them to add muscle while losing fat. It is possible that the OP is in that 1.5%.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Hm. It was neither a compliment nor an insult. Except perhaps a statement of some degree of misogyny on my part that I would automatically assume you're a cooldudebro simply because of your tact. So, I insulted myself.

Regarding your question:

You measure weight loss by standing on the scale and subtracting your present weight from your previous weight. That is how you calculate your weight lost.
    You can measure your fat loss by calculating your body fat %, and lean body mass %, the sum of which is 100% and is your weight.
    Your lean body mass is comprised of all non-fat tissue, fluid, etc.
    However I'm overweight and need to lose at least 20lbs, but the scale isn't really shifting.
    I've lost 5.5 inches off my body in the past week though.
    I don't know where those inches have come from; some may be bloat lost from lowering your sodium, thus requiring less water to maintain a proper osmotic balance, thus having less water weight and less body volume.

But really just eat sensibly and work out and then send me nude photographs of yourself for frequent scientific measurement and advice.
    Ugh, you're all so knowledgeable. Like "Look at me! I have knowledge and abs!"
    Blurgh and blah!
    I've already through no fault of my own posted my backside on an innocent woman's post...3 times. As long as I'm a sex offender on MFP I may as well repeat the crime.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

About 1.5% of the human population has the genetic variant that allows them to add muscle while losing fat. It is possible that the OP is in that 1.5%.
    Careful there. They'll start pitching tents and calling me part of "the 1.5%".
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

I think they may have already begun pitching tents if you're posting pics of your backside. :flowerforyou:

This has been great entertainment today! You're awesome, OP. :drinker:
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    Blurgh and blah!
    I've already through no fault of my own posted my backside on an innocent woman's post...3 times. As long as I'm a sex offender on MFP I may as well repeat the crime.

This comment is worthless without a link.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

I think they may have already begun pitching tents if you're posting pics of your backside. :flowerforyou:

This has been great entertainment today! You're awesome, OP. :drinker:
    Thank you, thank you. I'll leave everything in the will to you. Even the crusty sock. :drinker:
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Blurgh and blah!

This comment is worthless without a link.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098333-butt-transformation-success-stories
    I'm a people pleaser.
    Or blinder.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    This discussion is strangely entertaining, which an emphasis on the strange part, which somehow makes it even better. Carry on, Lumpy.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Virtual hug for you Lumpy....great job!
  • kiwigir63
    Options
    Exactly!!! That's the best way to tell!
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    You're all so warm and loving. Like a blanket with feelings, or...a good pee ^_^
    Swweeettt urination!