Learn What it means to "Eat Clean"

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So someone's offered to help others and everyone is showering her with abuse. What a cool bunch of people on MFP. This is why I don't go into the forums.

Correcting incorrect information=/=abuse

And there's a nice way you can do it and a not-so-nice way. I've definitely seen the latter.

No one is obligated to be nice while telling someone that they're wrong, especially when that wrongness is passed off as 'helpful advice/fact'
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I never thought vegans could be topped for sanctimony but here we are.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So someone's offered to help others and everyone is showering her with abuse. What a cool bunch of people on MFP. This is why I don't go into the forums.

And there's a nice way you can do it and a not-so-nice way. I've definitely seen the latter.

No one is obligated to be nice while telling someone that they're wrong, especially when that wrongness is passed off as 'helpful advice/fact'

I want to add that disagreeing in a blunt, snarky or not so nice way =/= abuse.

It irks me when people use such words to describe miniscule things (like a small disagreement) because it belittles those that have been abused. Same with the words bullying and stalker (in a non-joking sense).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

well then

flounce_oneniner.jpg
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I Wash all my food before I eat it therefore I "Eat Clean"
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to explore eating "cleaner" and would love to join a group to learn as I go!

Maybe that's what we should be talking about: how to eat cleanER.

For example, there is nothing "clean" about bacon but I am not going to wholly give it up. I will eschew the local fast food french fries and will usually make my own oven fries but there are times when only Tater Tots will satisfy an urge.

What surprises me is that so many folks don't know how to eat cleanER. They are wholly unaware that supermarket whole wheat bread may be laced with HFCS all matter of dough enhancers. They don't know about the importance of vegetables and fiber to a balanced diet. In fact, they don't know about the importance of a well-balanced diet and the hide-bound-a-calorie-is-a-calorie folks will tell them it doesn't matter at all what they eat.

It does matter and it is complex. The knowledge of what to eat in what proportions is constantly developing and changing as research studies nutrition, endocrinology, individual differences, etc. Therefore, we are unlikely to agree totally and as a group about what is THE best way to eat.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I am definitely interested in learning more about clean eating! I am new to MFP so am unsure of how to add people to my page, but am certainly open to suggestions!
    Here you go, this is an excellent explanation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean?hl=Halp+my+sandwich
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options

It irks me when people use such words to describe miniscule things (like a small disagreement) because it belittles those that have been abused. Same with the words bullying and stalker (in a non-joking sense).

I agree with the last post. And I'm not going to get out a dictionary. But when so many people do it, it can certainly come off that way.

BE NICE GUYS!!! It never hurt anyone.
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting the post up.

Unfortunately, I am unable to complete reading the responses due to idiots with their opinionated opinions. Just not to sure as to how politely say to them 'blow it out of your a_ _!

Please let me know if you start a group. I would be interested.
    :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...may be laced with HFCS...

HFCS is nutritionally no different than honey.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone what's with all the arguing? The lady said learn what it means to eat clean and it IS confusing.

Like, whole foods would be brown rice and not white rice because its less processed. I think what she's saying is that by eating whole foods we'll be in better shape.

And it's clear that there a LOT of dirty eaters on this website. You filthy eaters should be eating whole foods and YOU'RE NOT. I see a list of database entries like this, and it just drives me nuts:

banananopeel_zpsb458f865.png

Whole foods, people. Stop processing your stuff into the simplest sugars you can.

So my "USDA banana" I found in the database INCLUDES the peel?!? Damn. I've been doing it wrong.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What is your source for this info? I believe it is different. I believe different honeys even vary nutritionally.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

What is your source for this info? I believe it is different. I believe different honeys even vary nutritionally.

I take it back - since the food item in question was a baked good, those typically use HFCS-42, which actually has a superior glucose-fructose ratio than honey.

Neither is a whole food, both are processed foods, both are basically pure sugar. Now, if you wanted to talk about eating actual *honeycomb*, then there might be something there...

PS Someone mentioned Stevia - Stevia the sweetener is not a whole food, it is a processed, manufactured product, and any definition of "clean" that includes Stevia must also include HFCS.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting the post up.

Unfortunately, I am unable to complete reading the responses due to idiots with their opinionated opinions. Just not to sure as to how politely say to them 'blow it out of your a_ _!

Please let me know if you start a group. I would be interested.
    :smile:

so...do you have an answer as to which 'toxins' are removed when you eat stevia rather than sugar?
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"I just ate a whole frozen Kashi pizza.

I feel clean and dirty all at the same time."
    [/quote]

You know you can cook those, right? :)
    (Darn quotey things didn't work right...)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I agree with the last post. And I'm not going to get out a dictionary. But when so many people do it, it can certainly come off that way.

BE NICE GUYS!!! It never hurt anyone.

Some people are just blunt. And either way, it is a public forum. Who are you to dictate how someone should be? if they are blunt, snarky, cranky, grumpy - then they have every right to be.

It's all on the person getting butthurt to let it insult them or to take negativity from text.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I still maintain the position that people, in general, are entirely too sensitive. Especially for the interwebz. I blame the don't hurt my feelings, don't say anything I don't want to hear or it's rude, everyone gets a participation trophy attitude that has been wildly adopted.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I still maintain the position that people, in general, are entirely too sensitive. Especially for the interwebz. I blame the don't hurt my feelings, don't say anything I don't want to hear or it's rude, everyone gets a participation trophy attitude that has been wildly adopted.

shirt-small.jpg
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Here's the thing, though: the OP has no problem saying we're all "dirty" eaters, but if you call them on it, you're suddenly a brute? It's so absurd that people think they can make pseudo-scientific claims and not have to defend them to proper scrutiny.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Ok, I will add you to the list of people who will be expected to rush in to any thread where misinformation exists and type up a very nice correction. If anyone runs into a thread that needs information corrected, you're ok with people PMing you a link to the thread, right?

I look forward to reading all of your friendly, helpful, non-butthurt-inducing corrective posts.