Options
    That's enough derpage for one day.

*burp*

Sorry, but I'm full.

Time for pizza and whiskey.
  • Zuhwut
    Zuhwut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I honestly don't know what to think about the 'clean eating' movement. I just try to eat more whole foods and stay clear of processed stuff.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was hoping there was a Stevia shrub I could plant in my garden. Then I could harvest Stevia packets, content in the knowledge that I am so much better than all those plebes who eat bread and chemicals.

I've grown it (Stevia rebaudiana) on my back porch, but the fiber is fully mixed in, instead of being just on the outside like with the little stevie.packets. The plant tastes better too... I think the ink on the packets or something tastes a little off.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I still maintain the position that people, in general, are entirely too sensitive. Especially for the interwebz. I blame the don't hurt my feelings, don't say anything I don't want to hear or it's rude, everyone gets a participation trophy attitude that has been wildly adopted.

Versus the "My thoughts are so important they MUST be shared, and anyone who has a problem with it needs therapy."

SO much more functional.

Most people fall into the middle ground, but for some reason the Internet makes everyone think everyone else falls into an extreme.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Being that I competed in the 80's, I learned what it means to eat "clean". It basically meant restriction from foods I actually like and foods from my culture when prepping for a contest. I'm not willing to keep that type of restriction for life. I've basically kept the same physique (but not at single digits on bodyfat) eating basically anything I want, but meeting my macros/micros and being aware of calorie intake. If those that want to eat the way like it, more power to them, but saying by not eating clean that people won't achieve goals or feel like crap is subjective. There's also lots of broscience that the OP touts, so take it for what it's worth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options

2) Avoid Processed Foods – Put simply, if you cant pronounce it, don’t eat it.

"Avoid processed foods"? *kitten*. That's gonna be hard.

Whoa, wait a minute..."if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it"? Now THAT I can do. Avoiding processed foods is hard, but learning to pronounce words is so deliciously easy. Thanks, OP!
  • Zuhwut
    Zuhwut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Being that I competed in the 80's, I learned what it means to eat "clean". It basically meant restriction from foods I actually like and foods from my culture when prepping for a contest. I'm not willing to keep that type of restriction for life. I've basically kept the same physique (but not at single digits on bodyfat) eating basically anything I want, but meeting my macros/micros and being aware of calorie intake. If those that want to eat the way like it, more power to them, but saying by not eating clean that people won't achieve goals or feel like crap is subjective. There's also lots of broscience that the OP touts, so take it for what it's worth.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Now this is interesting to me. What changes did you make to your diet for competitions and what effect did they have on your physique? Did you knock out whole food groups, like diary? If so, what did you eat instead to keep your energy up?
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    People ask me all of the time what Clean Eating is, like its this foreign notion or new Fitness Craze!

The term “Eat Clean” has been thrown around throughout the Fitness and Bodybuilding Community for some time. Fitness competitors are known for their strict diet to gain muscle mass in order to achieve their desired results.

But what does this mean..? Eating clean is simply the practice of avoiding processed and refined foods and basing your diet on whole foods. But there’s much more to this plan. You can structure your diet to get proper nutrition, help manage diseases, avoid developing diseases in the first place, lose weight, remove toxins, and just feel better.

Eating clean involves not only choosing the right foods to eat but also avoiding all of the junk foods and processed foods that are so readily available.

It got me thinking that there may be more people on MFP that could benefit from a little bit of Clean Eating 101 and help with meal planning and recipes.

If you think that you could use a little bit of help in this area, let me know. We could create a little Accountability Group and work together to try and achieve your health & fitness goals a little bit faster with this change to your nutrition.

Weightloss is 80% nutrition, 10% Fitness and 10% Genetics!

I do not take 'clean' eating advice from someone who sells supplements and shakes, since that kind of defeats the whole clean/whole foods/non processed idea :huh:

I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet and follow Michael Pollan's simple philosophy of eat food, not to much of it and mostly plants. However, I also have lost over 50lbs and now am maintaining with occasional non-whole foods (like the all you can eat pizza buffet I hit up for lunch yesterday), and my 4 cans of Cherry Coke Zero every day. I could cut it out, but why? I feel great, look great and I'm healthy. And I enjoy what I eat and no longer feel guilt about the food choices I make. I focus on whole foods and enjoy everything in moderation :drinker:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Weightloss is 80% nutrition, 10% Fitness and 10% Genetics!

Yes but remember weight loss = 10%

Body composition = 100%
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see what meal plans and recipes you have! Also, is wheat bread considered clean? I'm thinking not, right? Are only natural foods (one ingredient) considered "clean". I'm sure I sound like a tool, but hey, it's an honest question. lol
    No. "Clean" doesn't mean one ingredient only. But I'd choose bread with a handful of pronounceable ingredients over Sara Lee fluffily bread like substance with 20 ingredients I can't pronounce.

Ezekiel is a good choice.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see what meal plans and recipes you have! Also, is wheat bread considered clean? I'm thinking not, right? Are only natural foods (one ingredient) considered "clean". I'm sure I sound like a tool, but hey, it's an honest question. lol
    No. "Clean" doesn't mean one ingredient only. But I'd choose bread with a handful of pronounceable ingredients over Sara Lee fluffily bread like substance with 20 ingredients I can't pronounce.

It's also pretty easy to make bread/rolls, especially if you have a bread maker. I make sweet breads in the oven (this week I made a great cinnamon carrot bread), and then loaves and rolls in my bread maker. We rarely eat loaf bread though, since my kid's prefer their school lunch sandwiches to be on rolls for some reason lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My issue with this is where do you draw the line at "processed" and inevitably everyone has a different line...which is why I think the term is pretty ridiculous. Am I "bad" because I opened up a can of black beans instead of buying dry beans and spending all day cooking them? They're processed and canned afterall. How about bread...any bread you get, whether it's whole grain or white bleached flour with HFCS is processed. How about those protein shakes and recovery shakes...almost everyone I know who touts "clean eating" also consumes these supplements which are highly processed foods. Is my quinoa that comes in a package from Costco any different than the bulk Quinoa at Sprouts Market?

I definitely agree that a nutrient dense diet that is rich in naturally occuring whole foods is the way to go...but these terms like "clean" are incredibly arbitrary and open to ones personal interpretation. And when I look at my can of black beans (beans, salt, dried onion) the ingredients aren't any different than if I were to do it myself...save for I'd probably use fresh onion. So where is the line drawn at processed, "unclean" food?
    To me it's not binary. It's a goal toward eating foods that are less processed, have fewer unnecessary additives. To me it's more of a lifestyle than a diet (in a different sense).
    It ends up being about 80/20. I read labels. I choose the beans that don't include HFCS or any other added sugars. I choose the catsup with less sugar and no unpronounceable ingredients.
    I choose bread with ingredients more like what I would make at home.

Again, it's not binary. And, fwiw, I had never heard the phrase "clean eating" til I came here. I don't love the phrase. But I do love the lifestyle.
    (I had also never heard of "eating back", or "eat more (more than what?) to weigh less".)
    If someone can come up with a good phrase, I'll go with it.
    I know what it means to me. I don't get why we focus on the name, and berate (not you) folks who choose to orient their food choices (diet, in the broad sense of the word) toward whole, minimally processed foods).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It's also pretty easy to make bread/rolls, especially if you have a bread maker. I make sweet breads in the oven (this week I made a great cinnamon carrot bread), and then loaves and rolls in my bread maker. We rarely eat loaf bread though, since my kid's prefer their school lunch sandwiches to be on rolls for some reason lol.
    Absolutely. I said that in another post: pick breads that resemble home made breads. We make our own breads as well, not as often as we could...but Ezekiel is a good compromise.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was hoping there was a Stevia shrub I could plant in my garden. Then I could harvest Stevia packets, content in the knowledge that I am so much better than all those plebes who eat bread and chemicals.

You asked - so here you go: http://seedrack.com/indiv/stevia.html?gclid=CK-65uyD1bkCFeIRMwodJkIAHg
    And here's how to use the fresh leaves as sweetner:
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/use-stevia-leaves-6944.html
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^^ Um. I don't think that means what you think it means. :smile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

You asked - so here you go: http://seedrack.com/indiv/stevia.html?gclid=CK-65uyD1bkCFeIRMwodJkIAHg
    And here's how to use the fresh leaves as sweetner:
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/use-stevia-leaves-6944.html

So again...what makes stevia extract (which is processed using ethanol or methanol) more clean than sugar cane extract?

eta: my point being: Stevia is a plant, sure. So is sugar cane. The labeling of something as 'processed' or 'clean' is just completely arbitrary and seemingly based on current trends. Sugar cane has to be processed. It can also be used raw. Same for Stevia, but one is touted and the other demonized.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Prepping for a contest (in the 80s no less) is a bit different. I've seen friends prep (in the 90s primarily). Eliminating cultural foods wouldn't be a goal of anyone I know who "eats clean". Foods that have been passed down from one's culture ARE typically minimally processed foods. If my family were of Mexican heritage, for example, why would I need to remove traditional Mexican foods to eat clean? I may decide not to eat the fast food version of those foods... but can't think of any traditional mexican food I'd need to dump. Unless I'm misunderstanding you...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

2) Avoid Processed Foods – Put simply, if you cant pronounce it, don’t eat it.

"Avoid processed foods"? *kitten*. That's gonna be hard.

Whoa, wait a minute..."if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it"? Now THAT I can do. Avoiding processed foods is hard, but learning to pronounce words is so deliciously easy. Thanks, OP!
    Glad you can keep eating what you want.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    That's enough derpage for one day.

*burp*

Sorry, but I'm full.

Time for pizza and whiskey.

word.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options