Boob weight

Options

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The problem with the BMI chart is that is doesn't take into account for muscle mass and frame size. This is why I am just shooting for the tip of my healthy BMI (just to pick a starting goal) and from there I will focus on inches and body fat %. I too have giant knockers, and if I was 125 pounds, I would fall over.
  • emo1124
    Options
    The doctor had no reason to even mention your boobs. Sounds like a creep. Many doctors are, more than you would believe oh the stories I could tell you....

If you have to see him again - make sure there's a nurse in the room.

My doctor talks to me about my boobs all the time...

we talk about whether or not I'm checking them regularly for cysts (does that mean he's a creep for wanting to know if I grope myself?)

we talk about how as i get older they aren't as perky (because they are big....and more than a handful and i'm on the smallish frame size) and whether I want to talk to a plastic surgeon...

we talk about lots of things....we even (OMG REALLY?!?!?!) talk about my vajayjay...

he's MY DOCTOR. If I can talk to anyone about my body it's GOTTA be him....

and i trust his opinion...

so the doc said "are you considering your breasts" in your calculations? that's a valid point for some people....

it's not creepy at all.

^^This

OP didn't seem uncomfortable with the doctor mentioning her breasts... Doctors should be able to talk to their patients honestly, as long as he was respectful. If you don't feel comfortable talking to a male doctor about your breasts, get a female one -- I doubt that would have been perceived as "creepy" by some of the commentors.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    However, when I asked about my ideal weight as per the BMI I was told to disregard it. According to the BMI chart as a medium framed 5 foot 4 inch woman I should be aiming to weigh about 140lbs, which I am nearly at now. My Dr proceeded to inform me that I should not aim to lose any more weight as I am not taking the weight of my boobs into account!!

Kinda wacky rationale going on here. If you want to be within the "normal" BMI range, you're looking at 108-145. You can be healthy outside this range. But there's nothing that says you must be at the very top of the range either. It's a wide range. If you want to get down to 20% body fat or something, maybe you're looking at 135 (I don't know, just throwing a number out), which is perfectly ok.

Let's say you have 20# of boobs and for some reason you are a genetic freak who can't trim that down any by getting to low body fat. You're still within the "normal" range at 128.

Anyway, whether you want to go with BMI or not, BMI isn't a reason why you have to be no lower than 140. If you feel like you want to be leaner, be leaner.

Yup. I have to agree with this.

And I still think the doctor's comments in this context were kinda creepy. And to the poster that said your doctor talks to you about breast exams...not creepy. But talking to you about plastic surgery to get them more perky when you're only in your 30's, unless you brought it up,...creepy. Imo and fwiw.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Or do most people lose their boobs when they lose weight?

I would say so. Well.... if you see a skinny girl with very large boobs - I think the chances are they're silicone. If you look at the beyond skinny girls ie catwalk models - they have no boobs. Just nipples.

God I wish that was true. But in my 20's I was about 95lbs and still a D cup. Actually I've been a D cup since around age 12, and probably weighed even less then, don't remember. I'd love to get rid of them. Wish I could even be a C. They're a pain in the butt!

WHY?? its an awesome problem to have it seems like.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I too have giant knockers,

That made me chuckle. :bigsmile:

Mine were MASSIVE for a short period of time (breastfeeding). I really made the most of it too... wore tight, low cut tops. I'm ashamed to admit it but I even left the nipple cups on for photos so they'd look even bigger. There are various photos of me with the new babe sticking my chest out as far as I can... I look ABSOLUTELY ridiculous on all of them....
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well.... if you see a skinny girl with very large boobs - I think the chances are they're silicone.

My BMI is smack in the center of the healthy range.

My girls are still 34DD's.

Your comment is silly and there are plenty of women who prove how false it is.

I think you misunderstood - I didn't mean slim or average - I meant skinny ie on the verge of underweight.

Sorry for not explaining it better, no offence meant! :flowerforyou:

Mmm, nah. It really depends on your breast tissue.
    I weighed 105 lbs and still had over a DD cup. And this was when I was 19.

Models are chosen for their proportions so that's why they tend to have similar breast size. And why they're 7-9 head lengths tall.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. Any time I've lost a few pounds in the past, I'm convinced it comes out of my chest first before any other part of my body will shrink :grumble: I'm not exactly flat chested, so I realize I could have it worse, but in proportion to my height and frame they look small-medium so I can't afford them to shrink too much before they start to look like mosquito bites... I guess overall I'd kind of rather aim to be healthy and not horribly overweight anymore than have nice knockers though ;)
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think you should try to get to a size that makes you feel comfortable, not based on your BMI or the number on the scale. BMI is a tool to set an initial goal weight. I was overweight during my entire 20's, and I had no idea what weight I should aim for, since I simply have no idea what it looks like on me.

I noticed that as I'm getting closer to my goal weight, my focus shifted from the numbers on the scale to getting fitter and healthier. When I got near a healthy BMI of 25 earlier this year, I started hiking. Then a couple of months later I added in running. I now signed up to a gym and plan to start lifting. Improving my fitness and the shape of my body is now more important than hitting a specific number on the scale.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do boobs really weigh that much?

I work in healthcare and I am looking at the 10 pounds of fat plastic model that we have..... now I just have to compare it ....
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    IMHO it's dumb to consider boob weight. I've had some friends with big knockers weigh the girls and then minus that off their actual weight and say "it doesn't count to the overall weight loss". Hmm. I have a large chest myself and never gave it much thought. Under that logic, why not hack off an arm in an attempt to get the scale go down?
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First thing to go for me are the boobs. Now it's just balls in socks :(
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Time out:

For the record, if your band size goes down through weight loss, yet your cup stays the same letter, your boob has gotten smaller. A 32FF is not the same size boob, as a 38FF. Cup size has a relationship to band size. For a boob to truly stay the same size with weight loss, the letter would actually get bigger as the band gets smaller.

Time in:
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The doctor is correct- BMI is an inaccurate measurement. Take into account bodybuilders, for instance. They carry a lot of extra weight in muscle tissue. You may look fat to yourself BECAUSE of the boobs- your breasts probably obscure much of your midriff making you look more short-waisted. If your breasts are causing any discomfort, you may want to have them reduced at some point. I'm recovering from breast reduction surgery myself and I wasn't nearly as big as you are. I feel a LOT better, let me tell you! :happy:
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Time out:

For the record, if your band size goes down through weight loss, yet your cup stays the same letter, your boob has gotten smaller. A 32FF is not the same size boob, as a 38FF. Cup size has a relationship to band size. For a boob to truly stay the same size with weight loss, the letter would actually get bigger as the band gets smaller.

Time in:

That's exactly what happened to me! I was a C cup when I had my breast reduction, but a DD when I was at my smallest weight. I'm now (supposedly- I'm still swollen) a B cup after the doc removed almost 3 lbs of flesh.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    delete. erk.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    The doctor is correct- BMI is an inaccurate measurement. Take into account bodybuilders, for instance. They carry a lot of extra weight in muscle tissue. You may look fat to yourself BECAUSE of the boobs- your breasts probably obscure much of your midriff making you look more short-waisted. If your breasts are causing any discomfort, you may want to have them reduced at some point. I'm recovering from breast reduction surgery myself and I wasn't nearly as big as you are. I feel a LOT better, let me tell you! :happy:

What she said. Also: get a really good bra. Make them your best asset. You'll need some hard core upholstery but you'll ace it better than dolly parton. ;)
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Too funny. I was having a conversation about this yesterday. I think it's totally justifiable that boobs make a difference in BMI. If you're someone with large or dense breasts it seems logical to assume that your BMI would be affected by them. I've always wondered what mine weigh...

What are dense breasts??
    Mine are teeny...only 34b's on a good day...but always bright and perky...certainly not dense:)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The doctor is correct- BMI is an inaccurate measurement.

The doctor's assessment was based on BMI. He's telling her not to lose weight due to BMI + breast mass. If OP wants to get leaner, she should probably get a body fat analysis and set a target with that.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Too funny. I was having a conversation about this yesterday. I think it's totally justifiable that boobs make a difference in BMI. If you're someone with large or dense breasts it seems logical to assume that your BMI would be affected by them. I've always wondered what mine weigh...

What are dense breasts??
    Mine are teeny...only 34b's on a good day...but always bright and perky...certainly not dense:)

You'll know when getting a mamogram. Ouch!!! :grumble:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i would think that with weight loss it usually is the boobs that go first because that's all they are is fat pretty much. however i have never had this problem since i have always been a 32a. wish i could help!