Is there a difference between Brown and White rice

Options
I've heard different things from different people is there really a difference health why's? I want to put in both with my bulking just want to know if there is difference?

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Basically, white rice is brown rice with all the good nutrients stripped off of them.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    White rice tastes better!

I have also read that the increased fibre content of brown rice means less absorption of some nutrients e.g. protein.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Think of it like a pea in the pod. The pea itself is edible and good, while the pod is still edible and carries nutrients. While rice is the shelled pea and brown rice is the pea in the pod.

Basically, white rice is just brown rice with the husk stripped away.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is gross, thats what.
  • jfurrrr
    jfurrrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice. Would choose it any day over white rice.
  • CinDenn3
    Options
    One's a little darker....just kidding! I couldn't resist. Brown is better for you.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    just had brown rice for the first time two weeks ago. I'm almost addicted now. it's so good.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex while white rice a simple carb. Complex carbs break down into energy more slowly than white rice, thus, often recommended over simple carbs for sustained energy and also to regulate blood sugar and hunger.

So, brown rice is better than rice in almost all situations.

Good luck!
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    They're very close nutritionally, but I believe brown rice has more fiber and less sodium.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    One's a little darker....just kidding! I couldn't resist. Brown is better for you.

Why is it better for us?

Here you go:
    Whole grains are the staples of human civilization. Refined grains have the phytonutrients largely removed. White rice, as a result, is not highly nutritious (see also here). Brown rice, on the other hand, is a whole grain. Polishing rice from brown to white at one time resulted in an epidemic vitamin B deficiency in Asia; rice bran (the brown part of rice) was used to cure it. Red rice, though, may actually have the most antioxidants of all rice.

Rice grown in water logged soil can absorb arsenic found naturally in the environment, and it concentrates in the bran (which remains when you eat brown rice). If you eat a lot of brown rice, buy American grown, which tends to have lower levels of arsenic. Red yeast rice contains lovastatin, a drug used to combat cholesterol. However, the levels found in red yeast rice are too variable to be a reliable source.

-- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/rice/
    For embedded links in the text and sources cited, go to the url above.

A comparison of nutrient content of black, brown and red rice:

-- http://nutritionfacts.org/video/brown-rice-vs-black-rice/

All the best,

Ben
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Brown rice includes part of the outer husk and is lower on the glycemic index than white rice. White rice turns very quickly into sugar in your digestive system, and that is a problem for diabetics. My husband's diabetic doctor asked him to stay away from white rice and use brown rice or quinoa instead for improved nutrition and more stable blood sugar with fewer spikes.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So you're saying that if my daily meals include egg whites, awl whole egg, bacon, bread, peanut butter, chicken breasts, Talapia, sweet potato, avocado and asparagus but I eat white rice instead of brown rice I wont be as healthy?

I didn't say any of that.
    Go back and re-read my post which is a response to the question posed by the OP.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex while white rice a simple carb. Complex carbs break down into energy more slowly than white rice, thus, often recommended over simple carbs for sustained energy and also to regulate blood sugar and hunger.

Good luck!
    Said what I wanted to say.
    With that in mind I still do prefer white rice because I find the chewiness of brown rice a bit much. I just stuff the rice with vegetables and consider it even lol.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is a complex while white rice a simple carb.

Not really, both are high in starch which is a complex carbohydrate. If they were sugar they would be simple carbs.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm has the GI of white rice at 89 (higher than sugar) and that of brown rice at only 50. To add to the confusion Converted, white rice (Uncle Ben's®) GI = 38.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Good luck!

^^ This !!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Satiety , fiber , and certain micro nutrients

That's all