Need help with bagels..

Options

Replies

• jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I prefer my sweet flavored bagels (raisin, cinnamon, blueberry) toasted with butter (I can't eat cream cheese on a bagel either).
    For plain bagels or savory flavors (onion, garlic, cheese), I like to use them as the base for a sandwich. I think I need to go buy some bagels now to try them with hummus since I recently started to like hummus.
  • chubalina
    chubalina Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bagel, lettuce, tomato and a light honey mustard. Yum!

Good luck with your recovery sweetie! You can do it!
  • Erikaelias85
    Erikaelias85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How about strawberry jam, or maybe some hummus! Hummus tastes good on anything add a little spinash to make it more nutritious, goat cheese with honey, or avocado with a slice of turkey meat(sandwich kind)
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love bagels with just a little butter or toasted with some olive tapanade.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Some honey with Strawberries, some homemade jam, are you allowed soy or almond butter?

honey! brilliant!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    When I eat bagels I like to use half a tablespoon of peanut butter total for both, but you might not be there yet. Sometimes I eat them just plain, untoasted.

How does your therapist feel about neufchatel cheese? It's often marketed as a reduced-fat cream cheese, but it's really a different product. American cream cheese was actually created by messing up making neufchatel! I actually prefer it to full fat cream cheese.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So I am recovering from anorexia and the newest add to my meal plan is a daily bagel (they are 400 calorie ones) and I have to do a topping. Part of my new nutrition contract however is I can't use any "diet" products...which apparently means sugar-free syrup or fat free cream cheese. So I was wondering what people top bagels with? I can't do regular cream cheese due to dietary restrictions and I am not in a place in recovery to do high-fat things like regular PB, but I am open to suggestions for healthy toppings.

congratulations on your recovery! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: a dozen flowers for you!

so i'm not sure if these fit within your requirements but here are a bunch of suggestions.

hummus
    avocado spread with a tomato on top
    jam, jelly or preserves over a nut butter
    fig spread
    a slice of turkey with a bit of mustard or mayo
    mashed up hard boiled egg
    goat cheese
    plain ole butter or a honey butter
    nutella
    almond butter
    drizzle honey then add walnuts
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    pumpkinbutter.jpg

Pumpkin Butter Nutrition Facts:

Serving Size: 1 Tbs (19 gm): Calories 35, Total Fat 0 mg, Sodium 0 mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g, Sugars 9g, Protein 0g.

Yum.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    pumpkinbutter.jpg

Serving Size: 1 Tbs (19 gm): Calories 35, Total Fat 0 mg, Sodium 0 mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g, Sugars 9g, Protein 0g.

Yum.
    Oh! Or apple butter.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ricotta cheese might be a good substitute for the full fat cream cheese. You could then decide from there if you wanted to do sweet or savory - add fruit or cinnamon/sugar for sweet, and cucumber/tomato/spinach/basil for savory.

I also like the hummus idea. It's good on everything, and comes in a ton of flavors.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    pumpkinbutter.jpg

this is making me hangry!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Make any kind of sandwich that you like on a bagel.

Some of my faves:
    Fried egg, cheese, cream cheese & salsa.
    Turkey, bacon, avocado.
    Hummus.
    Peanut Butter.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My favorite bagel toppings all have significant fat amounts, but I like what others have said.

I will give one savory recommendation and one sweet.

for savory, I would recommend fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato. One thing to try would be to cut up the bagel into rings and put a toothpick through the three food combo of: grape tomato, 1/2 cheese ball, and bagel. You should get at least 8 of these, or 16 if you like a high cheese to bagel ratio like me. I forgot to say add oregano/basil/any Italian seasonings you like.

for sweet, I would say make mini apple turnovers thingies. Slice the bagel into 4 slices, then in half, and then top the 8 pieces of bagel with apple slices. Dust with cinnamon and bake for a few minutes until the apples are the consistency you prefer and eat!

Caveat: I just made these up, so I have no idea if they'll actually work in practice.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Butter and apricot jam are great.

Also, maybe some really good homemade marina sauce and mozarella cheese.

Hummus and avocado are great as well.

Best wishes on your road to recovery!
  • dorisbunker39
    dorisbunker39 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hay Hun,

I like a little cottage cheese and sun dried tomatoes with mine. The sundried tomatoes I use come in a jar and have an extra virgin olive oil. I am not a huge fan of the bagel but when I do I find that the freshness of the cottage cheese really hits my pallet and gives it a great fruity after taste from the tomatoes. Grind a little pepper on the top and it is a lunch for princesses. x

I hope this helps xxx
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all great suggestions..I am gonna post a little menu up here..some big fears will be facing but if you all follow my blog I will put up pics as do them. Will post that later to. Hitting the road with my bagels in tow.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I'm not trying to be insensitive (and I'm very happy you've chosen to become healthy), but I noticed on your profile you have a weight loss ticker.
    A good step for you might be to remove the ticker and scratch that goal.
    I wish you the very best :heart:
  • bananasyousay
    Options
    Jam, butter, honey, marmalade, cheese, sliced fruit. :)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be insensitive (and I'm very happy you've chosen to become healthy), but I noticed on your profile you have a weight loss ticker.
    A good step for you might be to remove the ticker and scratch that goal.
    I wish you the very best :heart:
    I don't think they've implemented a weight gain ticker here, so perhaps that's what it represents to her.

Can you tolerate any amount of high fat? Like instead of a whole TB of peanut butter, can you do 1 small teaspoon instead? Same for cream cheese, maybe small amounts just to get a little protein and variety? As far as jellies go, look for things like "All Fruit" or "spreads" that don't have much, if any, added sugar.

Good for you for fighting AN. :flowerforyou:
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your recovery keep it up!!

One of my favorite toppings is from Einstein Bros its a Honey Almond whipped cream cheese

I bet brie on a bagel with some fruit on the side would be a great snack.

The pizza Idea is definitely a great idea!

You could probably pre-make them and freeze them, pop them in the microwave when you're ready for one,

Mini bagels, sauce, mozzarella, many meat choices Turkey sausage, Italian sausage, pepperoni, ham, veggies

The great thing about the mini bagels is you can eat more than one and still meat your calorie requirements from your doc.