Need help with bagels..

Options

Replies

• klovold1983
    klovold1983 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Maybe try PB2 mixed with some water (although it has to be done immediately before use), then add some strawberries.
  • Imabemee
    Options
    Wow- so many good things to put on bagels- I am simpleton- I tend to just eat them right from the bag, cold with nothing on them, but I prefer cinnamon raison or blueberry bagels best.

I love the idea of using pumpkin butter- YUM!

HIgh Five to you OP- Much respect for posting and finding a road to recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Strawberry rhubarb jam adds a nice tart taste. On top of some cream cheese it's perfect.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My favorite topping is some kind of spread (hummus, tahini, or cream cheese) and sliced cucumber, with a little salt and pepper. Bagels can seem very "bready" in texture (for lack of a better term), and some nice, crisp cucumber really makes them yummy.

All my best to you in your recovery. I think everyone on this string of messages is sending you positive thoughts!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i like to make a bagel sandwich - try avocado and a fried egg! yum :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Bagels are one of those foods that can handle anything that you put on it. I love the traditional lox with a smear of sour cream blended with dill, and some capers, but I could eat it plain and lightly toasted, too. Or with canned salmon mixed with greek yogurt and some ground flax seed for nuttiness. Yum.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love grated cheddar cheese broiled in the oven and then topped with some raspberry jam :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Make a sandwich. Turkey, swiss, mustard and sprouts. Or whatever you like.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I love smoked salmon with bagels. So so yummy!
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Wow! Didn't expect so many supportive, amazing responses.

First off, yes I have a weight loss ticker, but I have also been on this site for 600 something days...and I don't log my weight on here anymore..so idk if that's even accurate. And since I don't log my weight...i don't care to worry about how to fix it.

Definitely will tackle the high-fat ones when I am ready (definitely a fear thing) and I agree with everyone who said they like plain bagels...so do I, but my nutritionist says it can be considered disordered behavior...thus I have to have spreads. So here are some things I liked..btw the flavors I have at my "disposal" are Plain (which I am terrified of but am eating tonight), Oats and Honey, and Cinnamon Raisin. Oh and Everything bagels...but I am still scared of those. So onto the list (in increasing fear order and with the flavor bagel think good with)

1. Cucumber (may be doing this on the plain tonight)--On white, wheat, or everything
    2. Microwave banana/other fruits (may get my nutritionist to allow me to use part of fruit from snack to count as spread that way don't have so many extra calories...still tackling this)---any of them except Everything
    3. Jam--any except everything bagel
    4. PB2--on white or wheat
    5. Pumpkin Butter--on wheat, maybe cinn raisin?
    6. Apple butter--maybe good on cinn raisin or wheat
    7. Ricotta cheese (I use fat free variety)---all except cinn raisin
    8. Egg white--all except cinn raisin/
    9. Honey--prob cinn raisin
    10. Salsa--wheat or white
    11. Guacamole--white or wheat..maybe everything
    12. Hummus---all except cinn raisin
    13. Pizza Sauce--white or wheat
    14. Salmon--all except cinn raisin

The fear is basically calorie dependent, because I know I only really have to do like 20-40 cals for spread. Had an ED since I was 6...so got a long journey ahead of me. Raised by anorexic mom....so literally I was taught to eat as an anorexic...tomorrow I go to my mom's house and just hope she accepts me eating bagel....we shall see...

Also here is my blog :)http://freedomhunger.blogspot.com
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add this.

Out of all of the motivational/success stories that I've seen on here... I never imagined I would find the most inspiring story for me in the recipes section.

I know for a fact that I'll be following your blog and cheering you on with this... and I'd like to think that a great majority of others will be doing the same.

I don't know you, but I'm ridiculously proud of the steps that you're taking to take back your life.

Best wishes and best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I do not like all the added sugar found in commercial jams merely from a flavor standpoint. So I would make some fresh warm fruit jam. I just gently puree (but still leaving chunks) some of my favorite fruits, add some vanilla and/or honey to strawberries or cinnamon to apples, etc and zap in the microwave to warm. If making a larger batch or working with jucier fruits like oranges I will sometimes thicken with cornstarch or minute tapioca and heat gently on the stove until thickened. Congratulations on your success and don't let anyone (even your mom) deter you from your healthier lifestyle. It is a battle that you may struggle with at times but life is worth fighting for. When I struggle with keeping my "demons" at bay I othen think if this were 30 years in the future and my daughter was facing these same struggles and turned to me for help what advice or help would I give her? How would I want her to feel about herself if she took a step backwards and felt like a failure? Once I transfer the problem to someone I care deeply about in the future I can clearly see what resources and support I would hope they would have. Then I listen to what I just imagined telling my daughter/niece/etc and apply it to myself. Good luck and God bless!
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I didn't go through all the replies so this may have been posted already but these are my favs other than cream cheese:

-Tomato sauce and Mozzarella toasted (pizza bagel)
    -Deli Meat (Ham, Turkey, etc), Slice of cheese, and Avocado
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Did a huge plain bagel with cucumber yesterday...will admit I ate the cucumbers seperate from the bagel...eating them on top was weird...but hey...it was tasty and that's a big thing for me to admit :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I usually get Asiago cheese bagels, and don't top them with anything since they're already topped with cheese. One of the local grocery stores sometimes has egg bagels topped with cheddar cheese and bacon. Heavenly!

Otherwise, on non-cheesy bagels, I use Neufchatel cheese. It's naturally lower in fat than regular cream cheese, but not a "diet" food.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Did a huge plain bagel with cucumber yesterday...will admit I ate the cucumbers seperate from the bagel...eating them on top was weird...but hey...it was tasty and that's a big thing for me to admit :)

Awesome job! Nom nom nom!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Excellent :heart:
  • tiffanytowns05
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so I use Tofutti cream cheese or drizzle a bit of honey on bagels. So tasty! I have also used bagels for sandwiches and stale bagels (left the on the counter in the morning...) as croutons. Good luck! You can do it! I have a friend who has recovered from anorexia. They said she'd never have children...and now she has THREE!! Her story is a blessing, and yours is too! Thank you for sharing!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add this.

Out of all of the motivational/success stories that I've seen on here... I never imagined I would find the most inspiring story for me in the recipes section.

I know for a fact that I'll be following your blog and cheering you on with this... and I'd like to think that a great majority of others will be doing the same.

I don't know you, but I'm ridiculously proud of the steps that you're taking to take back your life.

Best wishes and best of luck. :flowerforyou:

I just wanted to say that this is one of the sweetest comments I've ever seen here. :heart:

OP, you might actually like the ricotta on the cinnamon raisin bagel. It sounded good to me, anyway. :smile: Maybe you could do little taste tests with cut up pieces of bagel and your different toppings. I'm very moved by your progress and determination. :heart: