Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i get all the time "you look great, you don't need to lose anymore".

i'm a smart *kitten* so my reply normally is something like "oh really? thanks! i'll stop then! and since i'm still medically overweight, you'll be paying my hospital bill when i get diabetes, right? no? then stfu."
  • RobinME
    RobinME Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't think before they speak. And I agree that they are jealous/envious of our change for the better because deep down they know they should do it too.
    I don't give too many details and try to stay positive.
  • RobinME
    Options
    I love that response!
  • RobinME
    Options
    Wow!
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    " You look so good. It's not fair."
    That one made me giggle
  • kittiebittie
    kittiebittie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My favorite has been "What the h*ll did you do?"
  • RobinME
    Options
    What I hear all the time is "You can't eat that stuff!"
  • RobinME
    Options
    I can kind of understand this - she is either unhappy that you are starting to look "as good as her" or when she looks in the mirror she sees a big person looking back at her. I suffer from that still - even after shedding 112 pounds.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My favorite was a while after I had lost the most significant portion of my weight, I was so not used to comments anymore, so a guy said, "Wow! You've really shrunk!" And since I am short, it went straight over my head and I said, "Well...I'm not wearing heels today!?"
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    When I was NOT on any sort of diet, people would say, "You look like you've lost weight."
    Isn't there any other other topic they can introduce?
    Now, when I see these folks in December, will they notice the absence of 30+ pounds?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yeah just recently I discovered both my parents (who don't talk to each other) thought I wasn't eating. My dad came to visit and kept making dinner and telling me to eat and eat, my boyfriend had to assure him that I do. And my mom told my sister she hoped I was eating cuz I'm "so skinny." I'm really not skinny that would be cause for concern; So I'm saying bottom line is, people are used to seeing you one way and react to the change in their own way which is sometimes insensitive. I just take it as a positive that what you're doing is working!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    What's sad is that I think some people really do think I AM skinny. My BMI is healthy but at 24.1, it's at the top of the healthy range.

I think it's that overweight people are so common that it starts to look normal and a healthy weight looks skinny.
  • RobinME
    Options
    That is the truth right there!
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    People just should not make comments about weight. At all. When I see someone who looks like they have lost weight I may tell them they look great or I love their outfit on them,etc, but I think weight related comments are just rude. Although maybe its because I grew up on a household where everyone commented on each other's weight constantly. Ugh. Not doing that to my kids.
    Anyway, my point is, loss or gain...dont comment. Maybe they are sick and dont mean to be losing, maybe they are pregnant and have gained a few but dont want to make it public yet. You just never know.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    People just should not make comments about weight. At all. When I see someone who looks like they have lost weight I may tell them they look great or I love their outfit on them,etc, but I think weight related comments are just rude. Although maybe its because I grew up on a household where everyone commented on each other's weight constantly. Ugh. Not doing that to my kids.
    Anyway, my point is, loss or gain...dont comment. Maybe they are sick and dont mean to be losing, maybe they are pregnant and have gained a few but dont want to make it public yet. You just never know.

I mostly agree, except that people who are working hard to lose weight and get in shape usually like to get positive reinforcement, even if they complain about it in threads like this. That's why I start with "you look great" and let the other person mention losing weight, or being pregnant, or not.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What I hear all the time is "You can't eat that stuff!"

That's just like my friends and family. If I'm on a diet, it's an excuse to poach off my plate.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Had a new one the other night at work. "Did you have one of the weight loss surgeries and not tell us?" Sheesh!!!
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I mostly agree, except that people who are working hard to lose weight and get in shape usually like to get positive reinforcement, even if they complain about it in threads like this. That's why I start with "you look great" and let the other person mention losing weight, or being pregnant, or not.

Totally agree. If they bring it up its a different story.
  • nixverstehen
    nixverstehen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of comments on this topic.
    BUT I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I got the same sort of comments. I had a coworker ask if the weight loss was on purpose. She was relieved because I started shaving my head about the same time. She thought I might have cancer. No, I worked hard at eating right and losing weight. Admittedly I was a little underweight.

Is it OK to talk about weight? It apparently is when someone is losing weight or that person is skinny. If I were to talk about their weight and maybe they should not eat so much, maybe think about going for walks, I would be the rude one. I've had many heavy people tell me I don't need to lose weight, even when I was about 30lbs over At first it is a complement. When they keep going on about it, I want to mention something about their weight and see what they think. I don't because it would be rude. That's not me.

All in all - We should just take it as a complement and say thank you. It changes the tone of the conversation when someone says, "Why are you trying to lose weight? If you're trying to lose, then what do I need to do?"
    Reply, "Why thanks I appreciate that. I'm glad you noticed. I've worked really hard to get here."
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think it's that overweight people are so common that it starts to look normal and a healthy weight looks skinny.

^^THIS. I sooooo agree with this; esp in the US. As a nation, the average American is at least 10 lbs overweight, most are more. Anytime you start appearing "different" from the herd, they start talking...some mean well, some don't. Some are jealous, some are genuinely worried. Some wonder what YOUR journey says about THEM!

I take any and all comments about my weight loss as a compliment, because I KNOW how hard I've worked (and continue to work) to turn my life around. I KNOW it's more than a weight loss thing, it's a life changing thing. And when you are comfortable and happy in your own life and skin, those comments that people make that used to annoy you, won't anymore. And you have to know that what comes out of their mouth, has much more to do with them and their perceptions, than you. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!