Do you work out on your period?

Options

Replies

• amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Although it can be uncomfortable, research shows that if you work out while on your period it does two things: (a) relieves the symptoms of the menstrual cycle and PMS, and (2) burns up to 25% more calories, although it's difficult to account for those calories because your HRM won't tell you that. I enjoy working out all the time, when I'm actually doing it.

I would like to point out for the posters having the argument about religion that this is neither the time nor the place for that type of discussion. Especially since trying to convince someone that their opinion on religion is wrong or a misunderstanding will only serve to strengthen their resolve. This is a place to talk about whether or not individual women workout on their periods or not, and whether it is helpful to them in their resolve to lose weight.

For some women, this is simply not possible. Some women have menorrhagia. Other get extreme cramping or severe headaches during their menstrual cycles. Other women become feverish or extremely tired. If you are experiencing these symptoms, cut down your exercise or do something more simple, like taking a walk. For women who become extremely fatigued or have menorrhagia, a visit to the gynecologist or general practitioner is in order, as these women may be experiencing cycle-related anemia.

However, in general, if you are healthy and do not experience severe symptoms, at least a 20 minute walk will probably help.
  • IouliaN
    Options
    I do exercise during my period and don't really change much in my routine, except avoid too much ab work and inversions in yoga. That said my regular routing is not super strenious. I exercise every day but only for ~45 minutes a day, alternating jogging and vinyasa yoga.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Its good to do light work outs when you are on your period.
  • acruelscholar
    Options
    I would like to point out for the posters having the argument about religion that this is neither the time nor the place for that type of discussion. Especially since trying to convince someone that their opinion on religion is wrong or a misunderstanding will only serve to strengthen their resolve. This is a place to talk about whether or not individual women workout on their periods or not, and whether it is helpful to them in their resolve to lose weight.

Personally I think discussing how different cultures, historical and present day, address the issue of menstruation as it relates to whether or not a woman can be/is active during their period is relevant.

The argument over religion and sexism however, is not, I agree. I'll cut it out for my part.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    no. the entire world ceases to exist when I have my period.

I know your comment was sarcastic, but some of the women on this thread seem to be dead serious about this sentiment. It's completely bizarre to me. I have never met someone like that in real life.

Some people have different experiences to you. For those who have it tough, why push your body and potentially make yourself worse when a couple of easier days will help?

^ This! I am really surprised at the bashing women do to each other. I shouldn't be, but I am. I have been on both sides of the period fence as mentioned in my first response to this thread. I would have never known what an ablation was because I thought it was just normal to have such a heavy period. I only found out by accident when I had a cancer scare (which ended up not being cancer thank goodness!) and ended up having an ovary removed. This wasn't something was was discussed in my house growing up. My mom wasn't afraid to talk periods with my sisters and I but she never made a big deal out of the fact that mine was heavy. I also heard that your period symptoms can change after child birth, so again, I thought it was normal. I think it's easier to understand when you've been there.
    This was a legit question in reference to what different women do. If you work out, GREAT! If not, that's fine too. The best part of being a woman is that we are all different from the next. If you have never had a period that isn't awful, then you are so lucky but it doesn't give you the right to make those that do have horrible periods feel even worse because they need a few days to rest.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have actually run some if my best times while on it. Maybe I am weird?
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yes I still workout. I take a Midol if I need it.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    I have actually run some if my best times while on it. Maybe I am weird?
    I read somewhere that there are certain days you might have increased endurance.
  • snshnkty11
    Options
    the 1st day or two no b/c i usually have bad cramps & feel blah. nothing wrong with working out during your period, doesn't affect anything. it just depends on how you feel. if you're popping pain pills & have a heating pad on, then skip it that day :)
  • jcnew27
    jcnew27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yeah definitely, why wouldn't I? Haha, it actually makes me feel better. Plus my father's an OB/GYN... he says it decreases cramping and it's true!
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do. I have PCOS and get excruciating cramps, but I just run through them. Exercise helps anyway so long as I'm moving fast. Slow movement or being sedentary makes it worse.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Same routine. Period or no, I work out. Nothing changes.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    I get really bad cramps, so bad I have been advised to take the pill so I only get a period every 3 months, so I tend not to exercise. I like to lie in my pjs and watch rubbish tv :) I think of it as a 4 day holiday every 3 months haha.
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    Just on the first day. I have mild pain, but feel I quite tired/lethargic. I would much rather have cuddles/ eat food (although I have cut that out atleast).

1 day off doesn't hurt anyone.

I also only have my period for 3 days so it really doesn't affect me too long.

When I was younger I wasn't introduced to tampons so I would always skip PE for those purposes, as it was quite gross.

Tampons definitely help :)
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I run seven days a week so yes, I don't take time off during that time. I am more tired on the heavy flow days but I power through them.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't see why I wouldn't work out during that time..

It actually helps alot, both physically and mentally. It takes my mind off wanting to rip everyone's head off around me :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Of course. I think it would be ridiculous not to. Those of you who say your cramps are so painful that you literally cannot do physical activity, go to the doctor! That's not normal.

Edited to add: Those of you who are saying, "But in ye olden times, women could not do anything during their periods," that was because of *sexism*, not biology.
    I never said it was because of biology. Just prevailing ideology at the time. :smile:
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I do - but this is personal; everyone is different.

I too get HORRIBLE cramps - but walking does help.

Plus, with exercise, I'm a little OCD - I don't like to skip it..........................!

And - when you're done with your workout, you do feel like you've conquered the whole damn thing a bit...................!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    why wouldn't you? you aren't any more delicate at that time than at any other. As long as you're not having killer cramps or having...shall we say leakage problems.....exercise is just as good for you then as at any other time.