Best pasta substitute ever!

Options

Replies

• jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    thank you but i will pass, in favor of real pasta :)
    yup
  • kimsfocus
    kimsfocus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was looking for some ideas for lunches and this will be perfect!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    you gotta try spegetti squash... once you try that... you will never eat spegetti again!

not true.

I HATE spaghetti squash. It's the texture I don't like. I guess if I covered it with a ton of cheese it might be ok.

I'll go back to eating quinoa pasta (gluten intolerant, it's the closest I can find to legit pasta.)
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    IF I'm having squash it's probably going to be summer squash or acorn squash, which is surprisingly delicious baked.

Most pasta is more than 100 cals. You found one that isn't, but average even for whole wheat is more like 170-200 cals per cup. If you go over a serving, you start getting closer to 300 or 400, and as I said, you can have a steak or piece of chicken for that.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    You can try my recipe for lemon garlic sauce, if you like...

4T olive oil (real butter is wonderful in this, if you have the calories to spare for it)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    juice of 2 lemons

Heat olive oil and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add lemon juice and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
    Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks!
    Usually when my Dad won't give me a recipe, it means he figured it out on the fly and has no idea what he did. :laugh:
  • MilliDenney
    MilliDenney Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know someone asked but I couldn't find an answer: how do you prepare the broccoli slaw? Blanche it?
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    i like the real deal i guess you could go wheat pasta
  • MilliDenney
    MilliDenney Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You can try my recipe for lemon garlic sauce, if you like...

4T olive oil (real butter is wonderful in this, if you have the calories to spare for it)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    juice of 2 lemons

Heat olive oil and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add lemon juice and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
    Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Have you also tried this with olive oil?
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with real pasta?

That's what I was saying...unless there is some sort of allergic reaction...

I just eat real food and dishes the way they were meant to be made..and fit it within my macros.

Besides Pasta is hella good for you
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is awesome.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to MIRACLE NOODLE and havent looked back! They are 0 carbs 0 Fat 0 sugar and best of all, whatever you cook them with is what they taste like, so if you make spaghetti, they take on those flavors! Amazing!

I ordered them from www.miraclenoodle.com

no i dont sell them, im not a representative, i just love them!

Try them out, if you dont like them, they give you your money back!

In the essence of education. Here's some medical, scientific knowledge on the main ingredient in these noodles. They do have side effects and drug interactions, especially in Diabetics, so you'd probably want to talk to your Doctor if you were going to eat this.
    I'll let you do the reading and research on your own. I take an oral prescription, not for Diabetes, but I would probably never eat these noodles.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-205-glucomannan.aspx?activeIngredientId=205&activeIngredientName=glucomannan

I went to the link but don't see where glucomannan is contraindicated for Diabetics.
    ETA: there's a great deal of outdated information on the 'diabetes complications' link of WebMD....so slowww and behind the times. :noway:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why if someone has no problem eating pasta, why they'd even click on this thread. It's like if I asked for advice on improving my run time and you clicked on the thread to tell me you hate running. Why would you think I or anyone else cares?

Anyway, OP, thanks for the thread. I haven't tried broccoli slaw but sounds like a good option when I'd like something simple and pasta-like and don't feel like being bloated and gassy like I get after eating wheat pasta. I do love spaghetti squash...

It's because those people are trolling for easy prey. They have hundreds of posts under their belt, so they're well aware of WHY some people will avoid certain foods but they're looking for a come up....any opportunity to put someone down so they can make themselves feel better. Ignore with impunity :laugh:

I don't see how it is putting anyone down to try and spread a little knowledge. You can eat carbs, lose weight, and maintain your loss...you don't need to search out substitutes to every food...

Everyone thinks Carbs are some boogeyman that is hiding under the bed and will immediately increase your weight and body fat just by looking at it ...the "carbs are bad" angle is a myth .

k9dh7n.gif

I'm not sure why you've used that gif - since the person you quoted is correct.

Edit: unless of course that is supposed to represent you - in which case it tells me everything I need to know about you.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    2ywtzjl.jpg
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    2ywtzjl.jpg

Yep it does - thanks for the confirmation.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The broccoli slaw sounds awesome. I've had spaghetti squash with marinara and love it. As far as carbs vs. no carbs, to each their own. Do what you do. I don't rely on anyone on this site for education, you can find that with your physician. And you know your body better than any internet expert on here. And if you're pre-diabtetic or isulin-sensative, your physician is probably going tell you to cut back on high glycemics like sweets and complex carbs and eat more lean protein and veggies (and hey! broccoli and squash are veggies, who would thunk it??). But ask them, not us. If you just want random internet experts, subscribe to Prevention or Livestrong, at least they pretend to have credentials.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli slaw! I steam mine, or if I'm feeling fancy I will saute it in sesame oil. Anything can go with it, but my favorite is shrimp. I am low carb. There is no such thing as moderation when it comes to carbs, so i get them from fruit and veggies now. I eat the most carbs at supper because I work out in the evenings. Funny how small this thread gets when you hit the "ignore" button. Good for you people in being able to eat all the pasta you want, and how you continue to preach that carbs aren't the enemy. But personally I'd rather eat an entire bowl of broccoli slaw, then 3/4 cups of noodles.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I honestly wish I could eat just one serving size of pasta without wanting to have an entire box of the stuff. :(

I can eat a single serving of oatmeal or quinoa just fine and feel completely satisfied, but for some reason, my stomach becomes hollow when I eat pasta.

I usually just use the broccoli slaw for sauteing and with salads. I never thought of using it for a meat sauce type recipe (although I love to use zucchini and spaghetti squash this way).

Thanks
  • Staceyben
    Staceyben Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, great tip OP. I had no idea such a thing even existed.

On another note, I'm new to these boards. I've only looked at two threads and they are both virtually unusable after the first page. Are all of MFP's boards so full of trolls? That really stinks. This could be such a great place for exchanging information and encouragement, etc.

I forgot to add - I'm excited to try this! :-)
  • jenchamb119
    Options
    Thanks for posting about this! I usually use cauliflower, french cut green beans or zucchini, but will try this. Using pasta takes up too many calories for me so I love to hear about alternatives. I like the idea of the spaghetti squash but don't like the 40 minute cooking time. I just tried it for the first time at Ruby Tuesday as a side and I did really like it.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    To save time, Spaghetti squash can also be cut in half with seeds scooped out, placed face down in a dish, add about an inch of water and microwaved for approx 15 minutes.