survey:"junk" what foods do u consider to be junk food?

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts have vitamins and minerals in them. I know, has nothing to do with the question.

May have little to do with the question but they sure was delicious with my chocolate milk this morning..... :drinker:
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any food prepared in a factory that comes in a box or a bag and doesn't require refrigeration and has more than 2 ingredients.

How would you feel about an apple that had been put in a cardboard box by assembly line workers?

Just like my grandson - he would have thought of this too, he loves to state things to the contrary! funny
  • Cheechos
    Options
    Melons cause I junk 'em as soon as I see 'em. :laugh:
  • StangMan12
    StangMan12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Things with very little nutritional value that aren't really even all that tasty. Cheesy poofs or Twinkies.

However, potato chips and Raspberry Zingers are not junk food. Because they're delicious.

Hey ice cream has milk in it and we need calcium right? Chocolate and coffee fight cancer. Now potato chips, I think the potato part is the only good thing in them. LOL I agree they taste good but a good example of what's bad for you. Just my opinion here, don't shoot me! Oh yeah and the raspberry zingers, one of the few things I can never turn down no matter how bad they are for me!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    ...and anything made and packaged in a factory....
    I'm with you. I don't take protein supplements either.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Usually anything I eat and experience guilt about.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    cheetos
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    cheap candy knockoffs like nothing replaces the real M&M's. or Reeces Peanut Butter cups, if someone tried to duplicate that with cheap blech candy then it woudl be bad.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    cheap cereal - the kind that comes in the dollar store, that is sold in a plastic bag, that is called something like O Rings, and is usually brightly colored blue, or pink colors, and is supposed to be cheereos.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    cheap ice cream that has a bunch of ice crystals in it and tastes watery.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    chocolate that is made so cheap that it tastes like exlax.
  • raquelserna7
    Options
    Stuff with numerous ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. Stuff that can live on inside a package for many months... Even years.

What you eat something that was made up of the below?

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine

I think you named all 21 amino acids...so if you're eating any type of protein, youre eating the building blocks of protein (amino acids). The others are naturally occuring in fruits, vegetables, fish, spices etc. Some are antioxidants.

I would eat everything with the exception of silver...

Guess I did learn something in biochemistry! Lol.

I do see your point though. Just because it has a long, unpronounceable name, doesn't mean it is "junk" or bad for you.

What people don't realize is that absolutely EVERYTHING is made up of chemicals. Scientists need some way of classifying these chemicals and they come up with what may seem like the craziest names. Unfortunately for non-food scientists, it is difficult to separate the good from the bad. But don't get discouraged when reading food labels. Google/Wikipedia are your friends :)
  • surfbumsd
    surfbumsd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I define junk food to be anything that has a TV commercial. Subway is a minor exception to this, but most of their menu is junk. If you want an easy way to eat healthy try going one week not eating anything that has a TV commercial.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Stuff with numerous ingredients that are difficult to pronounce. Stuff that can live on inside a package for many months... Even years.

What you eat something that was made up of the below?

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine

Yes but the apples I eat do not come in a plastic bag/container nor are they wrapped and they will expire in a relatively short time unlike some manufactured product such as a Twinkie or something along that nature.
  • zensugi
    Options
    I classify nothing as junk, but all a matter of fitting in my calorie deficit. Preservatives are a great thing from the point of view of reducing food wastage (they are eco-friendly!) and rather of being scared of chemicals (everything is made out of them) I try to inform myself about them. You are not going to be any less fat or healthy by eating an unwrapped versus a plastic wrapped apple; at the end of the day, is a matter of adjusting how much we eat of each food. People should look for the chemical composition of coffee or peanuts or even an apple and see how many compounds they can pronounce.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Has anyone said anything about freegans yet? I can't be bothered to check. Let's play Choose Your Own Adventure!

If not:

[insert freegan junk food joke here]

If so:

[I don't post anything and creep women's profiles]

ticker_zps13d39055.png
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I call fast food 'junk food' because it's what I've grown up hearing it called, but I still eat it. Generally, junk food is anything dripping in oil that I can get without stepping out of my car...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Whatever I don't enjoy eating and can make others feel like **** for eating. My diet, on the other hand, is perfect, so there. :tongue:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Anything I pull out of my neighbor's trash and eat on a dare.

I haven't done it since I was 6 because that was kinda gross.

Other than that, I'm not fond of cheese soaked in Ouzo and set on fire. Who wastes good cheese like that???
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any food prepared in a factory that comes in a box or a bag and doesn't require refrigeration and has more than 2 ingredients.

so basically everything ?? LOL