Do young adults in the UK not want to work?

Options

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the minimum wage is just not worth it - especially for an out-of-work graduate.

Who needs long hours AND no money? I'd rather have £50 less a week and live on benefits, personally.

You get what you pay for, ref: peanut/monkey calculation.
    To put this in perspective, the minimum wage in London has a living allowance added to it, so it's about £7.20 or so - can't remember the actual number.

Renting a 1 bedroom apartment costs between £250-300 in London, for the most part, with very few landlords setting their prices lower. 7.2*40 = 288. Best case scenario, you would have about £50 a week to spare for bills, food, clothing etc.

Unless there are good progression opportunities, working at minimum wage in the UK is pretty futile in terms of getting on.

Why always use London as an example when rents are nothing like that anywhere else in the country?

If you can't afford to live in London then don't live in London!

Are you forgetting the fact that loads of us are brought up in London - we don't just move down from our lovely little houses in the Home Counties, making rents higher, gentrifying working class neighbourhoods and making jobs for real Londoners harder to get..
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

award a liveable , working salary and then try again.

*lightbulb moment*

I got it. Put an ad in the job centre offering the same position at YOUR income. You'll get hundreds of applicants and be able to hire someone FABULOUS: qualified; enthusiastic; and responsible - to shovel the shet... and you can live on the minimum wage instead, but STILL be the boss with your own office and a swivelling, leather chair? How does that sound? Everybody wins!

But, there is something a little wrong in that argument. I pay myself £1250 a month (that includes a dividend) I work from 8am until 11pm 6 days a week. It is my business and my choice. But I would rather not pay myself a hefty salary and prefer to keep the capital in the company so it can progress. (I do have a swivelling faux leather chair though)

So I am not asking anyone to work harder than me and I am not asking them to do unearthly hours.

But.... tell us....

Do you have "an enormous mortgage on a tasteless 4-bed detached in some snotty village, a golf club membership, a BMW and holidays abroad????" :laugh:

Haha I wish. I live in a flat, drive a Peugeot, no golf for me as I am too busy working. I had a week at Disney this year and 4 days holiday to France the year before.

*tuts*

"Fat cat"... clearly..... :laugh:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    But, there is something a little wrong in that argument. I pay myself £1250 a month (that includes a dividend) I work from 8am until 11pm 6 days a week. It is my business and my choice. But I would rather not pay myself a hefty salary and prefer to keep the capital in the company so it can progress. (I do have a swivelling faux leather chair though)

So I am not asking anyone to work harder than me and I am not asking them to do unearthly hours.

You're not asking anyone to work harder than you? I should hope not - you work 78 hours a week. Which is just absurd btw, unhealthy and unsustainable (imho). I hope you don't have children who rely on you.

Asking someone to work HALF those hours is still too much. You may be totally excited and motivated about your business but why would someone else be? What's in it for them esp. if you won't even pay them a living wage?

Also it's early days anyway... you WANT that BMW and the house in the village. Admit it! :wink:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

You're not asking anyone to work harder than you? I should hope not - you work 78 hours a week. Which is just absurd btw, unhealthy and unsustainable (imho). I hope you don't have children who rely on you.

Asking someone to work HALF those hours is still too much. You may be totally excited and motivated about your business but why would someone else be? What's in it for them esp. if you won't even pay them a living wage?

Also it's early days anyway... you WANT that BMW and the house in the village. Admit it! :wink:

I started the business 8 years ago, my initial capital was £4 of my own. You are correct I am motivated by my business and seeing how it has grown. I have put the same hours in since I began. My 2 boys have both moved to another area where they found work.

I would be paying them a living wage for 39 hours of work a week. A lot of young adults still live at home with their parents and would be paying some housekeeping money to them. They would be paying only a small amount of tax, so I am sure they could live quite well and it would, IMO be a lot better than claiming benefits. They would be learning engineering skills, going on courses and learning to drive. Surely for someone that has no qualifications at this time, this can be seen as a progression for them to get themselves into the workplace and help them in the future when they want to go into other work?

I admit I would like a better car as I spend a hell of a lot of time driving. As for the house in the village, definitely a big fat no....I love my flat and have no intention of moving.

I would be better off financially if I worked for someone else, I left a decent job to set up my own business. But I enjoy my work and the people I come into contact with.
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Yeah but you can't pay someone a wage on the premise that their parents will support them and 'fill in the gap' for you ie the parents subsidise your business for free.

People get older, have kids, get married or move in with someone... Things change. What if their parents chuck them out? If you want someone to commit to a min. wage job then you need guaranteed built-in salary increments rising fairly immediately. Or wait till you can afford to pay a proper wage.

Love Alan Sugar.com, sorry for lecturing btw... it's a very bad habit. *ashamed face*

PS You work too hard :wink:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oooh Good news (well for me anyway lol)

One of my customers just phoned to ask if his son can meet for for an interview tomorrow. He is 17yo, I have met him a couple of times before and he always seems like a pleasant and helpful lad...so fingers crossed :smile:
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

award a liveable , working salary and then try again.

*lightbulb moment*

I got it. Put an ad in the job centre offering the same position at YOUR income. You'll get hundreds of applicants and be able to hire someone FABULOUS: qualified; enthusiastic; and responsible - to shovel the shet... and you can live on the minimum wage instead, but STILL be the boss with your own office and a swivelling, leather chair? How does that sound? Everybody wins!

I'm glad the swivel chair is faux leather!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    What I learned starting at 16 when looking for jobs...

1. Spell correctly
    2. Present all experiences in a positive light (even the negative jobs and the *kitten* bosses)
    3. Dress correctly. These are acceptable for entry level jobs nice slacks and buttoned or polo shirt for men, a below the knee dress or skirt for women or nice slacks with a understated blouse. Upper level dress for the job.
    4. Smile and if you can make the interviewer laugh or share some empathy you might just land the job.
    5. There is no such thing as a bad interview. Every interview teaches you something for the next interview. Learn from it all.
    6. Plaster the town with your resume (or internet now day)
    7. Have all your information ready when filling out applications (work history, references, education ect.)
    8. WE ALL HAVE TO TAKE CRAPPY JOBS!
    9. Crappy jobs build experience
    10. Each experience builds onto the next job where you can climb higher.
    11. Education is the key if you want the real doors to open
    12. Paper gets you the interview, and experience is what gets you the job
    13. Dont burn bridges (I know this sometimes has to happen, but the more bridges and connections you have the better)
    14. Remember everyone you work with is a future job reference
    15. Play the stupid game
    16. If you hate the game, play the stupid game
    17. It's just work
    18. Do your job
    19. Show up and show up on time (no extra interview points for showing up more than 10minutes early)
    20. Relax, but show your future employer how enthusiastic you are to be working for them

Very good advice, IMO. I especially agree with #19. Rule of thumb is between 5-10 minutes, NO earlier. At my current workplace it makes everyone kind of edgy and uncomfortable when interviewees show up any earlier.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    So this person has worked hard and build up a small business and is now able to offer someone a job, and she gets a load of **** of people. Lovely.
    I don't agree with the exploitation of others for financial gain.... making someone else live on the minimum wage so you can fund the enormous mortgage on your tasteless 4-bed detached in some snotty village, your golf club membership, BMW and holidays abroad? Well one HAS to keep up with the neighbours, after all... Nah. Immoral.

I say STICK IT to the man.

Wow. Running a business and offering an income to others is now immoral exploitation? Just wow... :huh:

Have you ever considered you folk can only afford to say "stick it" because the rest of us have to pay for that?

I see you have nicely avoided my point about surplus value......
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My brother is one of these people.
    He deliberately sabotages his job interviews so he won't get hired. He'll dress chavvy, talk like he's about to fall asleep and generally look uninterested.
    He doesn't want to work. He wants benefits and he wants to play GTA V.
    Which is exactly what he does :noway:

Your brother is a smart young man. All of those people who have interviewed him are forced by the government to pay so he can stay home and play GTA. LOL, he must be laughing all the way to the bank when he cashes in his monthly check.

Another thought who pays for the electricity to run the TV, the $ for the TV, the $ for the game system, and the $ for the game.?We are looking at about a $1000 investment right here to be able to play GTA.
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you ask why those 3 were late?

Christ alive..... It's not the employer's responsibility to run after those little darlings to see if someone stubbed their toe on the way?!?!

The 5 people didn't turn up failed to even ring to say they weren't going to make it. That's the most basic expectation you could have of someone. They all have mobiles. A simple phone call saying why you're not coming.

Why the should the employer have to ASK why you're late for an interview? If you have the audacity to be late for an interview, surely the first thing you need to do is apologise for your lateness and give an explanation?

I completely agree!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

incorrect talking points based on no data. you can not make any inference to job mobility or working the way up by looking at statistics that only show percentage of population in each income group. that says nothing about the individuals therein and mobility. people do not stay in the same income groups...even if average income never changes or even decreases

job mobility in the US at least is very high. Google the mobility statistics. looking at at statistics for income as data without a time element is meaningless. the majority of people defined as poor are no longer in that classification 8 years later. and alarge part of the top 10% moves to the median 8 years later. the middle class is even more fluid

am interested - which stats are you referring to? did they compare job mobility with population mobility in/across/out of a given geographic region (what assumptions are being made about the stability of the population & how has it been defined)?

Im on my phone and don't have access to my laptop with this stuff bookmarked. No there was no inclusion of population or geographic mobility. it was just a us aggregate data set and showed % of people moving across income quintiles. and data stopped on like 2006. but it still was eye opening despite the flaws. the job mobility in the UK is certainly worse though
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Wow. Running a business and offering an income to others is now immoral exploitation? Just wow... huh

If it's a wage that puts a person below the poverty line - absolutely. Also if that person is a child, or isn't allowed holidays or is expected to work long hours seven days a week. Capitalism is based on exploitation. The Industrial Revolution happened thanks to exploitation. The British Empire was built on exploitation. The North American War of Independence was fought to escape British exploitation.
    Have you ever considered you folk can only afford to say "stick it" because the rest of us have to pay for that?

'You folk' :bigsmile: - no I'm a well-paid professional. I was lucky - I got an education when it was still free. If I was offered the minimum wage I'd say stick it! And I'm happy to support the people who do!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

60-70 hours PW is reasonably typical professional hours, but one would expect appropriate reward for that. Of course ownership of a business does allow some fairly effective tax management to compensate for the hours.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

60-70 hours PW is reasonably typical professional hours, but one would expect appropriate reward for that. Of course ownership of a business does allow some fairly effective tax management to compensate for the hours.

If your business is profitable......
  • trojanbb
    Options
    Wow. Running a business and offering an income to others is now immoral exploitation? Just wow... huh

If it's a wage that puts a person below the poverty line - absolutely. Also if that person is a child, or isn't allowed holidays or is expected to work long hours seven days a week. Capitalism is based on exploitation. The Industrial Revolution happened thanks to exploitation. The British Empire was built on exploitation.

'You folk' :bigsmile: - no I'm a well-paid professional. I was lucky - I got an education when it was still free. If I was offered the minimum wage I'd say stick it! And I'm happy to support the people who do!

you got a degree. Not an education, clearly

capitalism being exploitation is true only in the minds of marxists. that logic requires a complete exclusion of the concept of individualism and property rights. capitalism is merely the natural system under a free market where individual property is protected by law. it can only be considered exploitation if you reject the concept of ownership, as Marxists did
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

If your business is profitable......
    [/quote]

Staff, including directors, salaries are a pre-tax cost so contribute to net earnings, that said personal tax is eye watering so reducing personal liability and rewarding oneself in other ways becomes quite effective.

All theoretical in my case as my efforts to start my own business weren't all that successful.
  • Hildy_J
    Options

Sweetie, I not only got an education but I've been teaching young adults for the past 25 years.

Now put a t-shirt on and run along. :wink:
  • trojanbb
    Options
    ^^^

there's the UK and western civilization for you. uneducated Marxists teaching the youth

and sweetie, being a youth teacher is not exactly the best way to make an appeal to authority.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Sweetie, I not only got an education but I've been teaching young adults for the past 25 years.

Now put a t-shirt on and run along. :wink:
    boom goes the dynamite!