Do young adults in the UK not want to work?

Options

Replies

• jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I am looking to train this person up into a better skill.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?
    I agree with others that that is a little bit of a sweeping statement. I do agree that there are kids out there that don't want to work but these kids are often the lowest educated, the ones that schools gave up on before they finished there and you would be very unlikely to hire them anyway. The idea that kids get benefits long term is a myth. between 16-18 there are no benefits unless you live independently. After that you have to prove that you are actively seeking work but......... how much work do you think is out there for the unskilled, uneducated? The job centre often sends any old person to jobs just to tick boxes. For example my graduate son (who now has a good grad job) was unemployed for a few months after uni, the job centre sent him and 87 others for an interview day at a local pub for bar work. My son, the grad with an IT degree got offered the job so what chance did the others have!!!!! He left after two days when he unexpectedly got offered another job he had interviewed more and that was as an trainee IT consultant. The kids not in work need help, job training skills etc. Maybe you need to advertise the vacancy in a different way as those stuck with using the Job centre are likely to be very distrustful of any job they are offered.
  • AislingHunter
    AislingHunter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be some people that don't want to work, but it's generally a minority. Me, for example. I'm desperate to find a job, but can't get an interview to save myself! The fact that the only people you found were so useless, at least helps me realise the kind of people who are getting interviews for the jobs I'm going for :laugh:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

It must just be the type of job you're offering that attracts that particular type of person. Or the area it's based.

And I think it's a horrible generalisation you just used there and you should therefore be ashamed of yourself. Theres plenty of us people who want to work, and indeed are working.

Really so, it is an employer that is offering a wage, ongoing training that is at fault?

I should be at fault for the area of work or the area that someone lives? I should be ashamed for trying to offer some one work??

I wish some one could explain this to me?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

So your opinion is that people just need to do something they hate for majority of there time, just to struggle to have a place to sleep, and eat so they can wake up the next day and do the same thing they hate? Meanwhile the persons they work for have risen above that struggle by having others do the hated work for them?

Yes, that is what the reality of life for people with little or no formal education usually looks like. Even for those with a college educations the first couple of jobs are often not exactly dream jobs, but entry job at a low level of salary ( not necessarily minimum wage, but still low ) to get a more rewarding career going.
    I graduated in Germany in 1972 with a MSW ( Masters of Social Work ) and not only had very bad work circumstances, but as a professional earned so little that I qualified for food stamps ( which I did not apply for ) and heating help in winter ( coupons for heating oil, which I did apply for ).
    This obviously was a long time ago and I only mention it to show that things have not changed all that much. Over time I went back to school and specialized in Nutrition and Humanitarian Aid and for the last 27 years have had only " dream jobs " with good pay.......but it did take 15 years to get to such a job with previous employment for lower pay, bad hours, dangerous circumstances.......and yes, there were always those who already had " paid their dues " and were better off than I was at the time......such is life's reality. We are not born into fun & dream jobs, they usually have to be worked for.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Well it is sad to say but this is not just a UK problem! The US is the same way!

Same situation here in Canada! disgusting!!
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

It must just be the type of job you're offering that attracts that particular type of person. Or the area it's based.

And I think it's a horrible generalisation you just used there and you should therefore be ashamed of yourself. Theres plenty of us people who want to work, and indeed are working.

Really so, it is an employer that is offering a wage, ongoing training that is at fault?

I should be at fault for the area of work or the area that someone lives? I should be ashamed for trying to offer some one work??

No, I said you should be ashamed if yourself for stereotyping all youngsters. Please don't twist the words I've typed.
  • MistyB023
    MistyB023 Posts: 521 Member
    Options

You should be ashamed for having a opinion based on your experiences.

Or something..... :huh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

No, and that is the reason. Euros are conditioning themselves to rely solely on the governments for support, and are forgetting the value of being producers.

Sad really. It's infecting us here in the US too. We should know better, but we don't seem to.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.

it's called "paying your dues." just because someone has a degree they're supposed to start at the top? or the middle? no. you start at the bottom.

I didn't say people shouldn't "pay their dues", or start at the top. However, most graduates with very specific training or education - Education, Sports, Hairdressing, Beauty, Engineering, Law, Psychology etc - and want to enter into that field, aren't wanting jobs in supermarkets, local bars etc.

There is a difference between entering a field you like, albeit at the bottom, and just taking any job because it's there. One you will enjoy and can make a career out of, one you have no interest in and will not want to stay there.
  • rachiehedges
    Options
    Signing on 3 times a week? Well, I suppose it might create more jobs in the Job Centre but that's the only benefit I can see! ;)

Until the NMW represents a living wage, young people are of course going to be reluctant to work for it. Sure, it means they'll be earning something, but not enough to rent their own place or support themselves. So I guess the Bank of Mum and Dad / JSA is enough for the unemployed/ NEETS when they'll be stuck in the same room they were in at 10 years of age anyway and just want some beer money. Graduates who have spent 3 years studying (more if they've done post grad qualifications) aren't going to be enthusiastic about working for £6-ish an hour, whatever training is used as a handy little carrot to dangle in front of them. I agree that everyone has to start somewhere, but expecting people to be chomping at the but for a low paid job is a little naive. Not everyone has the wherewithal to want to support themselves, so they'll never show up for interviews or the first day of work, and those that have more ambition will find something better until a relevant job comes along (i.e. something they've studied and qualified for).

It's a shame that it is difficult to find reliable people to fill jobs - but the old saying pops to mind... If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. NMW has long been used as a poor excuse for employers to keep wages down to maximise profits, knowing that a lot of employees with families will get Tax Credits as top ups so neither side has any incentive to change things.

Edited to add: If you're serious about training someone young and unemployed, there's always the Apprenticeship scheme? (I think this has been extended to 24 years of age now so doesn't mean getting a very young school leaver if that wouldn't be appropriate).
  • rubixcyoob
    Options

My god, your attitude does not do you any favours.
    Employees aren't fault-less and neither are employers.
    Social factors out with everyone's control can affect such situations - where a person lives can, generally, relate to the education they recieved, the morals and ethics they have etc.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

No, I said you should be ashamed if yourself for stereotyping all youngsters. Please don't twist the words I've typed.

If you had taken the time to read through the whole thread then you would see that I have supported young people or those parents with young people.

Which takes me back to the whole topic...do your homework, before you answer.

ETA those that try to work in some form or another
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, OP, have you considered that's in not "work in general" that they are rejecting, but simply THIS JOB that you are trying to fill? Perhaps your disgust and revulsion with their generation was apparent to them in your tone when you were communicating with them to set up the interviews? Perhaps your demeanor was oppressive enough to them to change their mind about wanting to come and be a part of that environment for any cost?

I'm really not trying to insult you, and I apologize if you take offense. But a lot of times people with jobs to offer put across the idea that they are doing the worker a huge favor by ALLOWING them to come and work for **** wages in a job they hate for someone who doesn't understand how to treat subordinates with care and respect. Sometimes that attitude of "I'm doing you a favor merely by hiring you" comes across in the first exchange or two and prospective hires figure, "Why bother?" As if the wages and stress weren't hard enough, why add a boss who is demeaning and considers themselves a benefactor to the list of job stresses?

You can get a bunch more people to show up in full regalia if the wages and benefits are high enough to offset the BS potential, but if a person is facing low wages AND being treated poorly, they often won't feel like the situation is tenable.

The comments made on this string alone seem sort of innocuous if you were talking to a roomful of people who were none affected by your judgements, but when the same attitude is conveyed toward the subjects of your disdain, they might simply be exercising their freedom to choose a job working for someone who gives them the respect and dignity they deserve.

And sometimes, people's lives get in the way. You don't know how many of those people had problems that landed them in the hospital, or their phones got cut off or their boyfriend beat them up. You have no idea and no apparent interest in considering other factors. You might say, "But for so many? That's too much of a coincidence!" And I would agree with you.

There's obviously something more going on. And it's not just fate that so many would apply for a job and then not show up after the initial communication with the new boss. Maybe ... ?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Well, what's the job? I'm earnestly looking and have been for a couple of years, and have avoided claiming any benefits out of principle as I don't *need* them to survive.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Hmm yep what is the right way? Because I really want to know how to advertise/interview in the right way

To put it in context the organisation I'm in deals with several hundred 16-35 yo per week at various stages in preparation. Main things that I'd be asking are:

What does the job involve? If you're paying minimum wage that really baselines it as casual retail, entry level coffee shop or perhaps cleaning. If you're offering something different then you might think about whether you're positioning your offer appropriately.

Does the package actually make it worthwhile financially? I noted in a previous response that minimum wage really doesn't stack up financially if your'e offering anything much under full time hours.

You talk about training, is this just to do the job or are you actually offering to formally train the individual? If the training isn't essentially formally recognised then it's not part of the package. Anyone taking training as part of the package will expect to see something in it for them; NVQ all the way up to a vocational Masters.

How does what you're offering compare to peers, if someone was to go to a competitor for a similar role what would they expect to receive in their package?

When you're talking "young adult" I'd assume you mean 17-20 age range. Interviewing in that range is quite challenging, frequently they don't have any clue how to sell themselves, and they have a limited range of marketable achievements to discuss. Effective interviewing actually involves spending some time drawing out what's important.

Recently I've been doing a reasonable amount of coaching of middle aged career changers, most of whom are struggling to identify their achievements and how to pick out talking points, or to answer questions. People who have had a considerable degree of responsibility that struggle to tell me what they're good at, and then provide me with some evidence to back up their claims. It's a big ask to expect the vast majority of young adults to do that with no experience.

And I have little sympathy for some mythical former era where we're got the school leaving equivalent of the Pythons four Yorkshiremen
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think many unemployed persons want to find a job that they "like" and that is "fun". They are kind of missing the point that this isn't the primary purpose of working.
    My sister is 45 and had this attitude. She's still looking. I get very cross about it you have such a circular argument with people with this sense of entitlement.

I would take it from the OP comments, if people didn't bother to show up, they also didn't bother to have the manners to contact her to reschedule. If they had a decent excuse they would have done that. So not bothering is, well , not bothering. There are not many things (well maybe a death in the family) that are good enough excuses to not go to a job interview.

So your opinion is that people just need to do something they hate for majority of there time, just to struggle to have a place to sleep, and eat so they can wake up the next day and do the same thing they hate? Meanwhile the persons they work for have risen above that struggle by having others do the hated work for them?

Yes. It's called working your way up.

Unfortunatlly it is near impossible to work your way up for the average human. Evidence in how many "poor" people there are to those in "middle class" and "rich". When humans make a decision they weight the risk vs reward of the situation. If the job you are looking at acomplishing provides to much risk and little reward then you will choose not to take that job, if you do you are unhappy about doing it. If you spend 32hours + working and can only afford part of the security needed (food, water, airable land, shelter, entertainment, health, retirment) then the risk is already to high and you will be unhappy. I know what your thinking, it is better to work and afford food and shelter at least to stay alive... and be miserable, and build frustrations that you take out on your family, loved ones.

No actually what I was thinking is "life's what you make it". My dad was a lorry driver and my mum a factory worker. We were poor. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I did some seriously **** jobs to save money so I could go to University. I worked throughout University so I could pay for my accommodation. I made some debts on the way and took a while to pay them off. Now I have a decent job and a good income, but I WORKED for that.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What smart little buggars just go go an interview and get to continue living off the system. I might not have been as blatant about telling you why I was there. Instead, I might have been totally inappropriate told you how much I love to sit down and watch TV, or my weakness was I really hate customers.

We are the dumb idiots for working our butts off. Everyday we go to work, put up with crap all day, pay into a system, and get nothing back while the smart ones know how to get milk from the teat of the country until that b-tch is dry. Bravo to them for figuring it out. The rest of us our suckers.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am a Gen Y'er and I agree completely that many in my generation have a sense of entitlement and oftentimes lack in responsibility.

Unlike many of my peers, I went straight from highschool to the workforce. I have held crappy, fast food jobs, but my attitude has always been to work hard and learn whatever positive lessons I can from each job I have held. Eventually I started working in a factory for slightly more money and good benefits. I continued to have a good attitude and work hard in each task I was given. I had several departments that were trying to get me to make a lateral move and work for them. Eventually, I applied for a much better position in California, that I had zero experience for, nailed the interview, and was heavily recommended for by my supervisor, HR director, and plant manager. I tripled my income after only 15 months after starting.

I was 23 at the time and all of my friends were either in college, dropped out of college, and focused on partying while living with their parents. None had fulltime employment. That didnt change until last year, when FINALLY everyone seems focused on the future and are starting out where I was 6 years ago.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What smart little buggars just go go an interview and get to continue living off the system. I might not have been as blatant about telling you why I was there. Instead, I might have been totally inappropriate told you how much I love to sit down and watch TV, or my weakness was I really hate customers.

We are the dumb idiots for working our butts off. Everyday we go to work, put up with crap all day, pay into a system, and get nothing back while the smart ones know how to get milk from the teat of the country until that b-tch is dry. Bravo to them for figuring it out. The rest of us our suckers.

I get tons back from my hardwork. Not only monetary gains, but I also have a lot of pride in myself for KNOWING that I am a hard, competent worker.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yup. Thanks <insert favorite government figure of scorn>.