Do young adults in the UK not want to work?

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I am looking to train this person up into a better skill.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

Replies

• tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well it is sad to say but this is not just a UK problem! The US is the same way!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If they can prove they are actively looking (setting up interviews) they can continue to get benefits. I have the same problem....sad but true
  • twinketta
    Options
    Well it is sad to say but this is not just a UK problem! The US is the same way!

It so makes me wonder why a young adult would not want to get into the workplace and have a steady wage coming in?

Glad you have the same problem and it isn`t just in the UK (not glad but you know what I mean)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    can I come work for you????

I have references from a Real Job in the states!
  • twinketta
    Options
    If they can prove they are actively looking (setting up interviews) they can continue to get benefits. I have the same problem....sad but true

It is certainly a crazy way of entitling people to benefits.

I read an article about a TV program and there was a young guy with disabilities that had applied for lots of jobs and was so happy when he got a position in a place that sells tickets for shows, on the back of the program. He wanted nothing more than to work and make his own income.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    just as bad here in the US, or they accept the job and just not show up anymore without even giving a notice they quit. It's rather pathetic
  • twinketta
    Options

Awww Hayley, if I could, I would. I am sure in CA you will find a great job and the weather there is so much nicer x
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Awww Hayley, if I could, I would. I am sure in CA you will find a great job and the weather there is so much nicer x

LOL, I am employed at a great job currently but I would love to live in the UK :-) grass is always greener!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    It so makes me wonder why a young adult would not want to get into the workplace and have a steady wage coming in?

Glad you have the same problem and it isn`t just in the UK (not glad but you know what I mean)

Why should they work want to work when their parents are their steady income? Sad, lazy new generation!
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    I am very fortunate in that I have a business that is relatively successful in the UK

This last few weeks I have been holding interviews to fill a position..the wage is only slightly above minimum wage, but, it is a little above.

I am looking to train this person up into a better skill.

I have not been looking for a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, just someone that would seem to have reliability and some work ethic.

5 people never bothered to turn up for the interviews...3 were late... 1 had the mother phone up to make an excuse.. a few people turned up wearing jeans....2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I was hoping to try to help someone from benefits into the workplace. Is it that young adults do not want to work?

Firstly, that is a really rude and sweeping statement. Sure there are people who don't want to work, but they range from the age of entiltement to benefits through to state pension age - it is not purely a 'young person' problem.

Do you know why those 5 people didn't turn up? Personal problems, finding other work etc. It isn't always as clear cut as "they can't be bothered".
    Did you ask why those 3 were late?
    Did you just automatically assume that person's mother was making an excuse?
    Did you wonder why those people couldn't afford to get proper interview clothes, or why they never had help in interview prepping?

Maybe the problem isn't those people, but yourself in not asking, or for outside factors not preparing them for such environments.

Plus, most unemployed 'young' people I know aren't looking for training - most of them already have qualifications from college or univerisity and want to do something in that field, something they will enjoy and will make them happy. Yes, it is easier to find work while in employment, but not a lot of people want to join a company and do something they won't enjoy in the hopes of finding something better.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You might want to brush up on your literature about generational changes in the workplace. Gen Y is such a funny little generation - we get a kick out of them.
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im from the UK and this is the case for most but my two oldest daughters (17 and 18) both work but they have both had hard trouble getting a job. It took my 17 yr old 6 months and so many interviews to get a job but now has one and she also goes to college. My 18 yr old has had a weekend job for a year but has tried to find a full time job since Jan this year. She has finally got another job but its not full time they offered her a contract of 10 hours after that its overtime which to me is rubbish. she only gets about 3 shifts a week which isnt full time. So I guess there are two sides of the spectrum.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    First off, I think their behaviour is horrible! If you aren't going to show you should at least call, same with being late!

But... I will say that I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for a job that pays just over minimum wage. I am not familiar with the UK, but here in the US I have experienced that working for "just over" minimum wage is significantly more difficult than asking the government for assistance. Also, is this a part time or full time position? When I worked for the "just over" wage it was part time. I had to work every weekend, normally in the evening and honestly? After taxes my check just was not worth it. It felt like I worked hard (because I have a work ethic and I wasn't lazy) and I still couldn't pay my bills or put food on the table or invest in my future.

I was lucky enough to secure a spot in a better paying position within the company, but honestly, if I was still in that position (I very well could be, I have only been there for a year) I would have quit by now. I think people underestimate sometimes, how tough it is mentally to do a simple job. I know, it sounds ridiculous. But in the back of your head you are saying "I am standing here putting things on a shelf to get a paycheck that wont put a dent in my bills when I could be at home doing the laundry or I could be spending time with my family or I could be doing something actually worth my time". Its exhausting!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    2 people actually told me they had to come for the interviews or they would lose their entitlement to social security benefits...

I hope you've let the relevant office know. They can still cap their benefits if they're purposely jeopardising their chances for work by telling you they're not interested in employment and merely attended so they don't lose their JSA.
  • twinketta
    Options

LOL, I am employed at a great job currently but I would love to live in the UK :-) grass is always greener!

I am sure the grass is greener there..you can always come here on a holiday...but make sure you visit some nice places ...and keep on working in your job..well done x
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar problem when I seek help and I pay considerably above minimum wage. I have had illiterates show up late or not at all. I even had one show up in a tank top & shorts. This is for a dental office. On what planet is that appropriate?They want high wages and lots of benefits with no training at all, I will even train the right person. I could go on, but you get my drift. You have my sympathy, good luck in your search.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no good help in CANADA either.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You get people that would rather do nothing and live off benefits rather than get off their lazy bums and do something.

I am a young person who has just got my fist full time job...it sure as hell is tiring but it has taken me 5 years to be exactly where I want to be, so I'm not going to blow it by being lazy now!

I remember being interviewed once...I got told I didn't wear enough make up to the interview that's why I didn't get the job over the other girl...sure it was for a cosmetics counter...but i didn't want to go in CAKED for first impressions. I also got one that was very rude to me when I said I enjoyed watching Rugby. I hate interviews because I have had bad experiences in the past - but I wouldn't not give it my all.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not all are the same, thankfully. My youngest son, who is 18, has just started university and is looking for a weekend job to supplement his student loan. He went to the student union, where he picked up lots of information on employers looking for employees in his region and is now in the process of applying to them.

He does want to work and has lots of drive and ambition, he's studying Maths for the next 3 years and says work experience, along with his degree, will hopefully be a huge help when it comes to finding a permanent full time job when he leaves university. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

I do agree with you though that many young British adults do not want to work, I see that attitude first hand working in a school. Many are mollycoddled unfortunately!